Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2008, 12:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Looking Forward to PC Titles

Many people feel that PC gaming is coming to an end. I understand that any market will always go where it can make the most money; such is the basis of a free market economy.

When the mainstay console providers came on scene, they provided parents a way of satisfying their children without having to pop for the price of a new PC; and that was always their market.

I was first introduced to working with computers in 1980. I sold three main brands of PC at that time. Apple & YaDaYaDaYaDa. I worked my butt off to sell the Apple II to many different companies. My selling line was "64kb memory is more than you could ever possibly use". My keychain today uses more. Sounds sick; doesn't it?

I've been playing PC games ever since Akalebeth. Console games have already outstripped PC games market wise; that is a fact. Will hardcore PC gamers ever give up without a fight? I don't think so, because to be successful a game developer is always trying to produce games at the cutting edge of technology. A place where consoles simply cannot go.

IMHO

That aside, I'm waiting impatiently for the following PC titles:

Fallout III

Diablo III

Mass Effect II

Dawn of War II

Dragon Age: Origins

Rise of the Argonauts

Any order soon, will help me out.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old July 16, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Starcraft 2
Old July 16, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry. Starcraft II is one that I missed to mention. My mistake.

Kinda forgot about it; its been so long.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old July 16, 2008, 12:55 AM
MVP

Apparently there is a new wolfenstein game on the way which will nostalgic at the very least and I personally am looking forward to dead space it looks like a cool combo of Doom 3 and Resident evil. Then of course they are working on Doom 4 as well. Many of you also know how insanely happy about Diablo 3 also. And i started a thread about fallout 3 to so I am definetly looking forward to that... I agree PC gaming is still going strong. And go look up the Novint Falcon and try and tell me PC gaming isn't being innovative. Heck if I ever manage to get one of them I will be using it to re-play every fps of the last 5 years I can get my hands on just for a brand new level of immersion and challenge.
Old July 16, 2008, 01:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I know certain people on the inside of such companies - in fact a lot of the videogames are developed in my home town - and I often have this discussion with industry people - It is true that the PC gaming industry is going downhill - this does not mean that you won't see ANYMORE PC games, however, the GOOD games and franchises will be mostly consoles - the PC type games remaining might not cater to everyone's taste. Most of the action / FPS will be console based.
Now aside from what Microsoft did with VISTA and DX10, and now phasing out XP, and now talking about Windows 7, and with VISTA not being too popular for gamers, this doesn't help - BUT the biggest factor that industry people keep bringing up is PIRACY. A lot of game developers feel that 1) There is LOTS of money to be made on console, as they are growing in popularity and are affordable 2) Piracy on the PC has become a MAJOR problem - Despite the new copy protection schemes used, whether it is StarForce or the new SecurROMs, they all get defeated very quickly and often are available even before the title goes gold - Many game companies feel they are losing a lot of potential money because of piracy - Now with Direct X 10 and upcoming x10.1 implamentations and with DX11 around the corner, this might help a bit, although on average it would take 2 years or more to start to see next gen titles on the PC - there are a few currently in development but only a handful compared to what's to come on consoles. As to the most anticipated PC games, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Alan Wake & Duke Nukem Forever :D Certain game developers are now focusing on CONSOLES, some even exclusive to consoles - but i'm afraid that what we will see on PC might be mostly ports...... and to be honest, some of the PC games out lately have not had rave reviews and some of those ports are horrible. One thing that plagues games lately I'Ve noticed is they are too short....! I do feel pessimistic about PC games, I'm a PC gamer myself and based on people I know who do work for game companies I have every reason to be pessimistic
Old July 16, 2008, 07:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

I'm looking forward to Crysis II Warhead. Never really liked FPS, but I had alot of fun with Crysis.
Old July 16, 2008, 07:47 AM
Top Prospect

WotLk
~~~~~~~~~~Coolermaster Centurion 5~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old July 16, 2008, 09:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Alan Wake is going to be cool, surprised that DarKStar is the first to mention it.

As for all this business of PC gaming dying, I just don't see it, now more than ever it is CRAZY easy to build a high performance machine that can rip apart any game on the market, at a price that at only a few hundred more than a console, is very affordable. Consider the fact that most people have a PC AND a console, since a home pc is pretty much mandatory at this point in time.

Those ports someone mentioned actually make me happy, take a half-way decent pc and put it side by side a console playing Mass Effect, or Oblivion, or maybe Assassins Creed. You'll notice something, the console versions look like SHIT by comparison. Ugly jagged lines(at least on my tv thats what I get, most games dislike 1080p, while pc games LOVE 1080).

At any rate, my list:

Alan Wake
Dawn of War II
Starcraft II
Farcry 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 3(still hoping for this sometime in the near future, but it might yet be a while:()
Fallout 3
Diablo III
Red Alert 3

There are probably more, but they escape me at the moment
Old July 16, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Starcraft 2, Diablo III, Any future Command and Conquer titles. Farcry 2, Fallout 3, Dragon Age of Origins.
I'm sure there is more!!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 16, 2008, 09:50 AM
MVP

Anyone who hasn't yet should go to gametrailers and take a look at someone of the new E3 videos of Fallout 3. From the description i thought this is a game I am going to want to own. And now that I have seen actual gameplay i know I want to own it. Its almost got a Bioshock vibe. The commerical for a "vault" reservation was really well done, the look on the dad's face when the vaultec guy casually mentions his daughter popping out babies to re-populate was hilarious. The system for calling specific body shots looks fairly well done and integrated. Kinda sad they removed crotch shots... then again some of those mutants may not have crotchs anymore it would explain why they look so angry. The more I see of this game the more I want it and the brighter the future of PC gaming looks. Playing this on the 360 or PS3 wouldn't be the same from what I can see.