Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2008, 10:56 AM
MVP

Default Will Fallout 3 bring my PC to it knees?

I am excited about D3 but since its release date is undetermined as of yet i find myself looking for other games and Fallout 3 has more than caught my attention. Hearing stuff like its Oblivion but prettier and easier to play blows my mind. I even read the general plot and sounds well thought out. But as sweet as all this sounds it also worries me. I am not running the most high end rig right now. Now I have a couple of very good friends who have finally convinced me my franken-hp isn't horrible and because I trust them I am gonna stop trying to bitch about it. But I still have to wonder whether or not come October my FH will be able to run Fallout 3. As far as I know they still haven't released the system requirements yet but with the comments on the games beauty sounds like it might need a beast to be run well. ok well I should let you all know what I am running so you can see what you think...
CPU E6600
Mobo Asus Leonite
Video Card XFX 8600 gt
2 X 250 gig HD's
oboard sound
RAM 2 gigs generic
13th circle of hell ... I mean an HP case
PSU Antec Earthwatts 500 watt
I await the experts prognosis...
Old July 14, 2008, 10:59 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Firstly, how big is your monitor? If you have anything over a 17/19 at 1280x1024 your videocard is probably going to be a severe bottleneck OR youre going to have to run the game with most of the prettyness turned off. Time for a vid card upgrade I'd say. 4850 is my recommendation.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:05 AM
MVP

its a 21 inch LCD so thats not the best news... and I have known i needed a video card upgrade from about 5 minutes after i bought the 8600.... But I am trying not to bitch anymore because there are people out there that would kill for an 8600.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:07 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Its true that an 8600 isnt nothing to cough at, its a good base/entry-level card. However, like i mentioned in my first post, It won't be able to handle pretty graphics at the higher resolutions of your 21 monitor. Therefore, id say go for the upgrade and sell your 8600 to one of those "less fortunate" people.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
MVP

one key point about that is having something to use between the selling and the buying part. I use the FHP for gaming but its also my family PC, me and my fiance both use it. And yeah trying to explain to her why the PC is OOC for a few weeks would be bad... just bad. Especially when for what she does the PC works just fine... I have until november for the game anyways so you never know...
Old July 14, 2008, 11:18 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Twas an HP system without onboard graphics? For shame! Anyways, you can always get the replacement before selling the old one too.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:49 AM
MVP

meh the video card it came with was an nvidia 7500 LE... it was a low profile card. And I kid you not TF2 killed it. My monitor started going to sleep in the middle of playing and nothing would wake it up except a total system reboot. And then it finally just went to sleep and wouldn't come back. I troubleshot everything and narrowed it down to the 7500 so i HAD to upgrade. Sad part is to even be able to put in a better video card i had to also upgrade the PSU because it was a crappy Hipro 300 watt :? It blew my mind how some parts of the PC were fairly good and others I wouldn't even use the word sub-par to describe. And a quick question if I did get a 8800/4850 eventually my e6600 wouldn't bottleneck it?
Old July 14, 2008, 11:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Maybe eventually, but for now its still a good processor (Conroe core I believe?). Anyways, you can cross that bridge when you come to it. And an 8800/4850 is a fairly good investment since you could carry it to your next system if need be and its new technology so it'll stay current for a while... (by a while im saying 6 months or so, lol. Damn you murphy).
Old July 14, 2008, 12:05 PM
MVP

nice. I hear so many people talking about bottlenecking it almost makes me think its a communicable disease my system can catch... and hopefully sometime before November I can move all the components into my Lian Li case that my old unused system is sitting in right now. Having more room would be very nice.
Old July 14, 2008, 12:07 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sounds good A lian-li will be for sure better than the 13th circle of hell HP case, hehe. Keep us posted on what you decide!