Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2010, 07:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The game is one sale on steam btw, $33 for regular version, $43 deluxe with all DLCs. I picked it up this morning as it seemed a pretty good deal. (Ends today)

I am currently playing Mass Effect, thought I might as well start from there if I want to progress to Mass Effect 2. I do enjoy mass effect and cant wait to get started on Dragon Age!

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old April 1, 2010, 04:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Just dropped the coin on awakenings after finishing my second full playthrough. Can't complain about the initial game as I've got at least 200 real-time hrs worth of play out of it. That's a decent return on the initial investment.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 2, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

2nd playthrough only? I must have played through it at least 5 times each time with a different character build. And after a few months of not playing it and having picked it up again I have no problem starting up again.
Old April 3, 2010, 12:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, I wish I had the time to do that many playthroughs.

My impressions of awakening is good, but not as good as the main game. I think my biggest dissappointment about it is the fact that even though I have continued my character it doesn't really feel like I continued it. I mean Bioware did it right with Mass Effect, so I know they can do it.

I mean, my party were people I got attached to and would have liked to continue on with at least some of them. For example Leliana left with me at the end of the first one, but is of course no where to be found in awakening. Sure there is Oghren and yes I meet up with Alistair, but I would have at least been able to maybe send out a call to my former teammates for help or something like that.

Maybe I wouldn't feel that way as much but I just haven't really liked the new characters that much. Other than Oghren, the rest are rather sub par.

All that said between Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, Bioware has completely amazed me. Congrats to them on a couple great games.

Old April 6, 2010, 05:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

After reading through a lot of this thread, I got the game! Cant wait to play
Old April 7, 2010, 02:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I dont know though, I have played quite a bit of awakening now and to be honest, its not nearly as good as Origins. Its good but it feels a lot smaller, a lot emptier as well. Also on hard its easy as inhaling. You start of just below level 20 if you do not import a character from Origins, which you then get to plop anywhere you want. You get good armor and weapons (which to be honest it took me hours to find a reason to change it), and a GIGANTIC pile of money. The rune crafting elements are interesting but the empty world means you never really stumble across them as loot too much. Herbs are very few and far between, and since you have so much money (its easy to get back once you spend it too, white steel and dragon bone items are the "iron" of awakenings, and they are worth a fortune to sell) so forget those talents and just buy the potions and poultices you need. If you played the first at ALL, make sure you put it on nightmare, with the exception of 3-5ish battles I've breezed through it on hard, (I have no idea how to do what feels like the last battle oddly enough). Also balance has been thrown off, archers are now gods for example.
Not finished yet, but at this point I tend to agree about the "empty" feeling. I'm estimating it's probably going to take 30 - 40 hrs of gameplay to complete, but a lot of that time is taken up by real-time travelling.

The quests and puzzles are also pretty flat. Most side quests are pretty well just following around a trail of notes, etc.....

Nothing wrong with it, but it's a bit "meh", and because of the Empty/Flat feeling, even bundling it with the original game is going to leave folks with an end-of-game module that detracts from how enjoyable the rest of the game was.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 7, 2010, 08:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Finished awakenings this evening, and I think I'd give it a pass given a second chance.... it felt kinda short for the $45 it cost me.

If it were bundled in a "battlechest" style package for an extra $20 it wouldn't be too bad, but the current pricing is a bit much for the amount of content IMO.

One of the changes in this game is that the storyline seems to be time sensitive.... no more time to do all of the sidequests, or you find that the "goal" for some of the major quests is no longer valid.

Old April 8, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Guess it is a good thing I waited and didn't buy awakenings, once it goes on sale (on Impulse) I may consider it.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
One of the changes in this game is that the storyline seems to be time sensitive.... no more time to do all of the sidequests, or you find that the "goal" for some of the major quests is no longer valid.

Still have to finish it off (almost done, last mission) but I very much agree with the time sensitive nature. Because of the way I went through it, one of my characters never even got to do the joining as when I got to start that I only get the options for the final mission arc. That definitely bugs me.

Old April 9, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have to agree on the time sensitive nature, and did not like the way it was handled at all. All of a sudden I mistakenly started the last mission and I had BIG plans and they all went to waste.

I was going to play it again, see if I just didnt play it correctly, but I ended up going back to dragon age, now THAT was a great game. Such a shame about awakenings, it is not worth the 45.