Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
MVP

Default Diablo 3 : What we know so far

Just wanted to start a seperate thread to talk about the game now that we finally know its coming. There might be spoilers in here because I have read some stuff online from some of the Diablo Novels that have been released. And I don't know how many people have read anything from the official blizzard site because I know some people will want not want anything to ruined for them. So yeah I just wanted to let people know that I will kinda be talking about things that could be considered spoilerish in nature... before I start discussing anything I will post this and give everyone some time to read it.
Old June 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Good, I'll follow this !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old June 29, 2008, 01:11 PM
MVP

I'll start out with what I beleive to be general knowledge. The game is set 20 years after the end of Diablo 2 the expansion at this point the first dungeon seems to be nostalgic in its awesomeness. Your back in the Tristram Cathedral catacombs where an old friend has gotten himself in trouble big suprise... Anyways an interesting point is that the Barabarian in Diablo 3 is supposed to be the same one from diablo2 which explains why he looks a wee bit older and ALOT more frazzled. One of the mysteries of the game is why Hell has waited 20 years since the destruction of the worldstone to invade Sanctuary. I have also seen some clues that lead me to beleive you might not just be battling the forces of hell this time around because Heaven is also merging with Sanctuary and not everyone in Heaven is like Tyrael apparently. One site I read a bunch of stuff about D3 on went into alot of specifics which I don't think is at all confirmed but one thing they said that might be cool is that 2 of lesser evils escaped from Hell into Sanctuary and are holed up north of Kurast amassing an army to invade heaven. Whether thats the army shown in the official Trailer I have no idea. And whether or not the 2 lesser evils would have anything to do with ressurecting Diablo remains to be seen. I am still not even sure how they would have done that to be honest because if my memory from D2 serves me you actually destroyed him for good. Then again the image we see of D in the trailer he looks a wee bit more badass than his previous incarnation and ALOT more pissed off. So maybe its not actually Diablo himself but some fusion of whatever was left of the 3 prime evil when they were destroyed at the end of D2? Keep in mind this is all speculation... and I am still very curious about who the woman some prominently displayed in the trailer is but now that I think about she is probably Cain's granddaughter, my first thought was that she was the Dark wanderers daughter and therefore had some connection to Diablo. Anyways I think thats far more than enough for one post.... Feel free to correct me or state your opinions and please if you have any info i don't let me know!
Old June 29, 2008, 10:39 PM
Top Prospect

well in the trailer it looks like the woman or girl has three stones in her head. three soul stones? meh who knows we'll find out more as time goes on. I've been looking forward to this game for awhile. on a few sites i read how cain was supposedly the last of the horadim but if you read the lore of the official site, he has no idea what somethings are that are happening, like no knowledge of the worldstone or other things the horadim should know, so either he was lying or is getting old.
~~~~~~~~~~Coolermaster Centurion 5~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old June 30, 2008, 02:42 AM
Rookie

Not a comment on the possible lore or story arc behind the game but the actual game play trailer on the Blizzard site looked really good I spent alot of time with Diablo 1 but quit playing and skipped 2 because of all the cheaters with trainers

Anyway back to speculating...
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4
Antec 900 - Asus Maximus Formula
4 GB Crucial PC-6400 - OCZ 750W
Visionteck 512MB 3870HD
Vista Home Premium 64 bit OEM
LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD Player
2 x WD SE-16 500GB Sata2 NCQ
Old June 30, 2008, 08:48 AM
MVP

IMO, as WoW borrowed a lot of elements from Diablo 2, D3 also borrowed a lot of elements from WoW.

I hope Diablo 3 co-op play will be a mini (more casual) version of WoW dungeons or Worldshift maps. I've been wanting to play a more casual version of WoW instances (but without all those reputation grinding and what not). Tried WorldShift beta, but it doesn't seem that good.

I'm guessing with the new Witch Doctor class, they won't bring back Necro. Good riddance, I say...

Last edited by Spaceman-Spiff; June 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old June 30, 2008, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

its funny I always played the necro as a zoo keeper and never thought to use the curses. i'm really kicking myself in the ass now lol. but anyways i just watched the gameplay video and it looks really solid. i have to admit i was looking forward to the old look of the diablo games but i guess the game changes with time :( too bad but it looks to be amazing

Old June 30, 2008, 12:57 PM
MVP

Yes, I also feel the new Diablo doesn't feel as dark as its predecessors. Probably cause it literaly isn't as dark :P. The dungeons don't have fog of war anymore, you can see the whole screen. I also feel the characters look more Warcraft-like (maybe same designers?).

However, gameplay looks very solid and much improved. No more potion spams, instead you need to rely on strategies to beat some bosses. I hope Blizzard won't make paid subscription out of this o.O

What are the other old looks that you miss?
Old June 30, 2008, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect

the town portal :( I know it sounds lame but before it was a portal, now its more of a circle lol. plus the glowing weapons are cool but ill miss the shade of shining green my barb dual wielding perfect emerald gem swords would have

Old June 30, 2008, 04:38 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff View Post
I hope Blizzard won't make paid subscription out of this o.O
I don't think it will be. A whole lot of the reason people still play D2 is due to the fact it's always updated, great game and the fact its free. I don't think blizzard will make a pay to play, with the single player and multiplayer and the fact battle.net is free we should be fine. so i wouldnt worry too much about it :) I think they are relying on the fact that with the look of WoW in D3 people might rush out and buy WoW if they haven't already. Since they are implementing ideas from WoW it would make sense. kind of like a marketing ploy but in-game?