Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   DX-10 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/814-dx-10-a.html)

mo' power April 5, 2007 07:09 PM

DX-10

Is anyone here planning on upgrading to DX10 card(s) for the up and coming Crysis and Alan Wake? From what I understand, Crysis should be released late 2007 and Alan Wake? Who knows... I'm going to wait until the end of this year before I jump to Vista and DX10.

Jim April 5, 2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo' power (Post 5459)
Is anyone here planning on upgrading to DX10 card(s) for the up and coming Crysis and Alan Wake?

No,not unless I spend $1500 cdn or so to play it.Cause as it currently stands you system and mine are basically useless for running Crysis,theres no point trying to if it can't be smooth at max settings,why bother ?

Scratch April 6, 2007 12:24 AM

Yes I'm waiting for Crysis although there is still no release date for the game as of yet
I've DL and watched the demo and it is absolutely amazing to say the least. Simply put it kicks the graphic level of the current playing field a solid one. Clouds have substance and are no longer static mist, the atmosphere changes to accentuate the time of day and you have real time shadow with natural and artificial light in detail down to a singular blade of grass. The game itself is no longer 2D but has actual 3D depth. Smoke travels and water is realistic to the point of having white caps and surf
When watching the demo of Adrianne in DX10 you can identify individual hairs, her eyebrows actually protrude from her forehead and are not simply painted on. You can also make out wrinkles and crows feet at the corner of her eyes and unbelievably see perspiration..the shader technology is incredible.
FEAR was a nice game but I don't think it can even compare to the crysis engine

mo' power April 6, 2007 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 5463)
No,not unless I spend $1500 cdn or so to play it.Cause as it currently stands you system and mine are basically useless for running Crysis,

The chairman and CEO of Crytec states that even 2yr old pc's will run crysis. Even though the requirements haven't been released yet, as far as max settings go, I'm guessing with another gig of ram and another 7600gt, I can probably play on DX9 max settings. Total cost by the time it's released, about $200-$300. If I want to play on DX10 max settings, 2 current 8800*** DX10 cards will probably work and cost in the neighborhood of $400-$800+ vista premium and that's an overestimated price. I'm sure that future DX10 cards will be cheaper than the current cards. I may be wrong, but don't believe the hype that you will need a super-duper uber pc to run crysis at max settings in DX10.

Let's see if some of the uber-dudes on this board will jump in and alay our fears.:whistle:

Jim April 6, 2007 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo' power (Post 5474)
The chairman and CEO of Crytec states that even 2yr old pc's will run crysis. Even though the requirements haven't been released yet, as far as max settings go, I'm guessing with another gig of ram and another 7600gt, I can probably play on DX9 max settings. Total cost by the time it's released, about $200-$300. If I want to play on DX10 max settings, 2 current 8800*** DX10 cards will probably work and cost in the neighborhood of $400-$800+ vista premium and that's an overestimated price. I'm sure that future DX10 cards will be cheaper than the current cards. I may be wrong, but don't believe the hype that you will need a super-duper uber pc to run crysis at max settings in DX10.

Let's see if some of the uber-dudes on this board will jump in and alay our fears.:whistle:

I read somewhere that 7600 gt in sli are are not quite equal to a single 7900 gt , go figure. As for Crysis,who wouldn't want to be up for that,I mean its got wow factor all over it.I watched a youtube of the developer being interviewed, dude said theres more data in just one tree in Crysis than a complete copy of Far Cry , which they also made.

cdn_Madrach April 6, 2007 10:00 AM

Hmmm..... I have to side with Jim on this one. Crysis on max settings will absolutely cripple mid range puters and high end might get playable FPS IMO. Right now I'm playing Stalker at highest settings and am brought down to 40Fps in some areas:( 2142 I get well over 100Fps miind you on high not max settings. I'm thinking(hoping) I can get by with what I have... to play Crysis cause I'm a huge fan of Far Cry. Which has been patched to 1.4 and is very much an improvement in visuals. Anyways that's just my 2 cents worth:thumb:

Scratch April 6, 2007 11:45 AM

well, I'm not sure about this but I couldn't even watch the demo with this same system using XP. I wasn't able to watch it until I upgraded to Vista and DX10
The issue is that I believe the new cry-engine relies on the shader and vertex operations of the new graphics cards which is far superior to the 7000 series graphics cards. The new cards actually have 3 memory timings that can be adjusted for GPU, Ram and Shader memory

Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com
so I'm afraid you may be hooped...:doh:

mo' power April 6, 2007 04:15 PM

I guess we can speculate all we want. The only way we'll know for sure is to wait until it gets released. Even if some of us can't play it on max, It is sure to be one helluva game. I think we can all agree on that! :clap:

Jim April 6, 2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo' power (Post 5537)
I guess we can speculate all we want. The only way we'll know for sure is to wait until it gets released. Even if some of us can't play it on max, It is sure to be one helluva game. I think we can all agree on that! :clap:

hell yea the game'll be great , no question

cdn_Madrach April 6, 2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 5539)
hell yea the game'll be great , no question

Totally agree...as long as it isn't as buggy as hell lol:thumb: