Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2008, 08:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Dawn of War II is Coming

I don't know about you guys but I have been completely depressed by the shift away from the PC by far too many developers.

Well, the Canadians over at Relic have come to the rescue!!!

DAWN OF WAR II IS ON ITS WAY

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of WarŪ II

This game looks amazing and knowing the pedigree from Relic (Homeworld, CoH, DoW) it will be one of the best strategy games of this coming year.

Here is IGN's coverage: IGN: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Screenshots (PC) 2423883

I don't usually get too excited about games but I am counting down the days.
Old June 6, 2008, 08:43 PM
MVP

Don't forget to check the gameplay footage: IGN: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Trailer, Videos and Movies
Old June 7, 2008, 01:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ahaha. Looking at the gameplay montage over at IGN, the game sure looks REALLY gorey..
Old June 9, 2008, 09:49 AM
Allstar

looks like a upgraded skin with the same game.
Old June 14, 2008, 01:54 PM
Rookie

Sweet a new dawn of war!
Old June 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is one game franchise that I've never tried for some reason. Don't know why? I'm DLing the Soulstorm Demo right now though so I'll give it a try.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old June 28, 2008, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Looks like fun

Just bought the first three installments from D2D. It's going to be a late night.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old July 9, 2008, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

The original Dawn of War was completely awesome but then Dark Crusade took what was awesome and made it GODLY. I was somewhat disappointed with WarCraft III since it was fun but it got cartoony and somewhat ridiculous with the micromanagement involved (necros + ghouls + skels? only way to stop that was dispel and you have to click on each one!). Dawn of War took what I loved about RTS'es which was epic glorious battles (and violence - gotta have the violence!) that required me to set up and launch. Yes, there's still some micromanagement but for most part it was just offensive abilities or whatnot.

I practically built my rig for DoW II and when they said they were going for Havok physics as opposed to Nvidia (DoW I was a "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" game"), that was one of the major reasons I jumped back on board with the 4870 (of course, this hinged on the 4870 actually being good).

I hope Relic can top the intro video they had in DoW. Best combat intro EVER.
| Antec 1200 Case | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit |
Old July 9, 2008, 01:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I was somewhat disappointed with WarCraft III since it was fun but it got cartoony and somewhat ridiculous with the micromanagement involved (necros + ghouls + skels? only way to stop that was dispel and you have to click on each one!).
Blizzard tried to make a gameplay distinction between Warcraft RTS and Starcraft. Warcraft having heroes and more into micro-management, while Starcraft having larger armies and more into macro. The two games would appeal to different people/playing styles. Unfortunately, Blizzard only release games like once every 5 years or so :(. By the time one comes out, the other one is getting kinda old already.

Quote:
I hope Relic can top the intro video they had in DoW. Best combat intro EVER.
I heard the new one will be done by different company (DoW Cinematics was done by Blur Studios, iirc).
Old July 9, 2008, 02:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm glad to find some DoW fans here:), its not often I meet people who have actually PLAYED the game.

Looking forward to #2 in a big way, and methinks that we should arrange some HWC DoW games to get us all amped up for the release. If anyones in drop me a PM and we can has game tonight.

P.S. Has anyone confirmed the rumours I heard that DoW2 will have less units on the field and have it more about micro? That makes me sad if true, I love seeing a horde of IG storm the field and break on my superior firepower.