Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2008, 10:59 AM
Top Prospect

Well according to all reports, Relic is moving away from the heavy base management style of typical RTS'es (read C&C / StarCraft) and moving towards epic battles mostly. This info was derived from the IGN article on DoW II. I'm guessing there will still be some base building to get vehicles and upgrades but it might be condensed with some sort of auto-base builder.

The concept of the game (at least from the IGN article on single player) is that you are a Blood Raven regiment flying from planet to planet securing each one. So supplies are dropped into each one and you get a squadron of men with access to more squadrons later. It seems fun and great but I hope they don't completely take away the base building.

I love the fact that now when you drop pods of men in, the pods themselves do splash damage. That is just awesome. Check out the video on IGN.
| Antec 1200 Case | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit |
Old July 13, 2008, 03:54 PM
MVP

The E3 trailer is out: Gametrailers.com - Dawn of War II - Exclusive E3 2008: Trailer

I heard more trailers will be released soon, and also in Siggraph 2008. Can't wait to see the cinematics.

Also, the website is now up: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
And http://community.dawnofwar2.com/main.php
Old July 13, 2008, 06:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That looks amazing.
Old July 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It looks really really good, It probably wont compete with Starcraft 2 sales wise but i bet you it's going to give Starcraft 2 a good run for its money.

Defiantly can't wait to pick it up when its finally out!
Old July 14, 2008, 08:40 PM
MVP

E3 Cinematics is out:

Gametrailers.com - Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II E3 by Andrefpvs

Pretty awesome.
Old July 14, 2008, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They could make a movie out of that and I would watch it.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old July 15, 2008, 07:25 AM
MVP

Looks like Tyranids indeed.

Posted on RPS:

I’m a little out of touch with Tyranid lore myself, despite having a small ‘nid 40K army in the cupboard that I’ve never used or painted, so I’ll hand you over to helpful RPS reader Nick Halme to explain all:

The latest 40k rulebook clearly outlines, in handy-dandy chart form, that the first step of any Tyranid invasion is to release toxic spores into the atmosphere. Essentially, they’re acclimatising the planet for themselves, which is not so pretty for the natural inhabitants or…invadees. They then proceed through a number of subsequent steps, most of which involve murderous rampaging, all of which lead to the death of a world.

The end of the Gamespot trailer is a Tyranid reveal, and that swarmy stuff is toxic gas swirling about. The Eldar were no doubt there to try and put a stop to it, or have the Farseer (the chick who got the chainsword to the chest) act as a beacon for something.
Old July 15, 2008, 07:43 AM
Allstar

looks neat but i'm burnt out on the 40k franchise.