Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingstarlight View Post
what is the verifier thing you were talking about?? I have been trying to get this game to work for me and it just is making me crazy. I downloaded it, patched it and now i click to run it and the first page pops up talking about server maintaince etc.. and then once it's all up to date i click on PLAY and nothing seems to happen.
I have the proper specs and everything on my comp to run this but it just won't work. I cringe at having to uninstal and reinstall and maybe by some divine miracle it will work... i just don't want to waste like about 5 hours getting it on my comp. :help:
Exactly what my problem was. I think some of the files on the install disk are corrupt. Go in to the folder where the game is installed and there is an app called config or similar, I forget the exact name. Make sure the game is not running, open task manager and close the process if you tried to run it and it didnt start. There will be a check box called verify. Click that and it scans your install for integrity. After that completes, run the patcher again and there should be some files to DL. After that completes it will work fine.

Mike, no time demo that I can find, I checked that right away. ;)
Old May 29, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Exactly what my problem was. I think some of the files on the install disk are corrupt. Go in to the folder where the game is installed and there is an app called config or similar, I forget the exact name. Make sure the game is not running, open task manager and close the process if you tried to run it and it didnt start. There will be a check box called verify. Click that and it scans your install for integrity. After that completes, run the patcher again and there should be some files to DL. After that completes it will work fine.

Mike, no time demo that I can find, I checked that right away. ;)
Anyone who pre-ordered the game should have a 7 day friends code available to give out to someone.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old June 9, 2008, 01:32 PM

You guys still liking the game? I've had pretty much 0 time to play thus far so Im only lev 19. Seems its all basically solo until after 20 because I havent had 1 group yet. :/ Whats the deal with backpacks, you gotta be rich to afford one!

One observation I can make for gameplay, 4GB of mem and a 64bit OS makes a huge difference. I moved from 4GB to 2GB and its lag city and forever to zone where it used to be super fast.
Old June 9, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I am lvl 21 now and loving it. Once you hit 20 you unlock a lot of new areas, and lots of neat tasks. I actually got to fight with my first partner, not sure how but we teemed up to complete some quests, it made it very enjoyable. Next time you are online let me know, I will see what we can do!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old June 9, 2008, 02:26 PM

I will. Ive been on like twice in 2 weeks just bc of alot of work and stuff right now but I hope to get some extra time in soon to see what this game is all about. I know there is a lot more to it than this low level stuff.
Old June 9, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm playing on Deathwisper as a conq.

Great game!
Old June 14, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nice game, too bad it has a monthly fee.. :)

Last edited by omgwtf; June 14, 2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old June 14, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

could anyone tell me what exactly sets this game apart from wow? i mean, other than looks and combat? I'm an Ultima Online vet from waaaaaay back, that game has as much or more to do other than killing and leveling and i think it made it more fun as a community. Things i'm thinking about are:

Crafting... is there any? do materials cost more than a product can sell for?

can a level 80 play with a level 0... nothing worse than meeting good peeps to play with and leaving for a week to be so far behind that you can never play with them again...
Is there something to do OTHER than level up?? You know... grinding levels and doing "Quests" really gets boring and tedious after ooooo 1000 hours or so... its nice to have something that you can do untill the tedium wears off a bit.

are craftable items actually worth crafting? or not untill your level 80...

I really wish MMOs would get away from the levels... it really brings alot of the game down IMO. And i've never liked the chat system though i can understand the need for it, an i always felt uncomfortable on voice chat... mostly because when americans talk they make me feel.... yeah, lets just say i dont like voice an leave it at that ;)

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old June 14, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
could anyone tell me what exactly sets this game apart from wow? i mean, other than looks and combat? I'm an Ultima Online vet from waaaaaay back, that game has as much or more to do other than killing and leveling and i think it made it more fun as a community. Things i'm thinking about are:

Crafting... is there any? do materials cost more than a product can sell for?

can a level 80 play with a level 0... nothing worse than meeting good peeps to play with and leaving for a week to be so far behind that you can never play with them again...
Is there something to do OTHER than level up?? You know... grinding levels and doing "Quests" really gets boring and tedious after ooooo 1000 hours or so... its nice to have something that you can do untill the tedium wears off a bit.

are craftable items actually worth crafting? or not untill your level 80...

I really wish MMOs would get away from the levels... it really brings alot of the game down IMO. And i've never liked the chat system though i can understand the need for it, an i always felt uncomfortable on voice chat... mostly because when americans talk they make me feel.... yeah, lets just say i dont like voice an leave it at that ;)
People need to realize this game is still in its infancy (been out less than a month) and lots is changing with it.

Unfortunately its hard to say where its going to end up but the reason I prefer it over wow is:

1) Graphics: don't look so fake and cartoony. Head to Thunder River or Connalls Valley and you'll want to stop and look at the scenery.

2) Audio is amazing especially if you got surround theres so much immersion and depth to the sound it sometimes trips me out.

3) Combat system is way cooler; You actually have to think at times where you want to attack due to NPCs and players having a invisible shield perse around you and if you attac k a side with a strong shield damage will be less than if you attack a vulnerable side.

4) Graphic content: You don't see heads being chopped off and swords thrust into people or an arrow from a ranger landing in the throat of someone spraying blood everywhere.

5) Women have BOOBS! While this may seem like a small things the NPCs actually have characteristics different of each other.

6) Wooly Mammoths and Rhinos as mounts

7) Character customization: If you find two people in the game that look similiar I'll truly be surprised. There is so much to be able to customize about your character that even when your done you STILL want to change something.

I could go on and on.
Old June 15, 2008, 02:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Totally agree with everything Enaberif! What server do you play on? I am level 23 on one server but may start a PvP character.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.