Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2016, 12:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Recommended requirements for Mirrors Edge Catalyst = 16 GB RAM

Saw this the other day but forgot to post. This isn't a series I have played, actually the first one might be sitting uninstalled in my Steam library, but it seems popular and I just thought it was interesting that we are now at the point where 16 GB is the recommended spec for RAM. For a long time the mantra was 8 GB was plenty for gaming.

THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR MIRROR'S EDGE CATALYST ON PC - Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Official Site

Guess it's time I start thinking about 32 GB of RAM to stay ahead of the curve!

Last edited by Lysrin; April 25, 2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Trying to fix the weird chars in link text
Old April 25, 2016, 12:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I really enjoy the GPU recommendations. 970+/280x+. Crazy!
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 25, 2016, 12:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am glad I didn't listen to all those sites, who still push 8GB as plentiful. However, it's starting to appear that a GTX 970 is not going to be sufficient for as long as I hoped.
Old April 25, 2016, 03:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah I am running a 980 Classified and I'm thinking it will do me a while yet (I hope) but the advent of more demanding games and higher res monitors... remains to be seen. This does make me think again though about picking up more RAM while the prices are low. I still need DDR3 for my 4790K system so not sure if DDR3 will fade away anytime soon or get less demand as DDR4 becomes mainstream resulting in a price jump!
Old April 27, 2016, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
picking up more RAM while the prices are low.
Really? I haven't been tracking it but if that's the general consensus I might do the same.
Old April 27, 2016, 09:03 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've got 32gb of ram. I've yet to see any game use up more than 8gb total system usage. In fact I've yet to see a bit game that could address more than 4gb. Still 32 bit exe's.
Old April 27, 2016, 09:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If I remember correctly I think Witcher 3 gets pretty close to 5gb and that's is the highest I've seen. I'd be curious to know how much ram the new Tomb Raider uses.

Although not a "game" flight sims can eat through memory like crazy (when mods are installed). With some of the Hi-Res mods in latest version of X-Plane, both my 16gb or RAM and the 4gb on my 980 are fully used, but I'd say it's probably poorly optimized though.
Old April 27, 2016, 10:40 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sounds like optimization problems to me. What the heck is it caching rather than streaming that so much memory is required?
Old April 27, 2016, 10:46 AM
F@H

I heard from someone who played the Xbone Beta version, they had a long laundry list of things wrong with it, including the graphics and stuttering performance. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.
Old April 27, 2016, 02:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Speaking as a programmer who has worked around a lot of other *ahem* younger programmers who haven't had to think about memory on newer PC projects it could certainly be a case where it is easier to just say add more RAM than spend the effort to write tighter code. However that being said my current system with 16 GB certainly hasn't felt taxed at this point. I just tend to like to stay one step above the recommended specs for games if I can afford it. The extra headroom never hurts.