Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2016, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Windows 10 for gaming, your experience

For those of you who have made the switch on your main gaming setup, how do you like it? Post what OS you came from before 10, or comment how it compares to Win7. I'm mostly looking for performance results on a single gtx970 system with core i5 3570k 8gb.

With the deadline slowly approaching for the free upgrade (unless extended) I'd rather not do a format in the middle of any major game I'm in.
Old January 8, 2016, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was running 8.1 before and didn't notice any issues with the upgrade. Win 10 feels a lot more like Win 7 with some changes to UI and Control Panel mostly. Some of the new features like snapping are pretty handy though. Never noticed any performance issues in games from the shift to 10.

Upgrading on an existing rig was painless. I did it on my tower and my Surface 2 Pro. Honestly the only issue I had was doing an 10 install on a new build where there was a USB Keyboard issue. I'd recommend the change. Just do a Windows image backup beforehand and you can always restore that in case you really hate it (which you shouldn't) or have an odd catastrophic failure on the upgrade.
Old January 8, 2016, 11:15 AM
MVP

I've been running Win10 on my main gaming machine since September 2015 and I haven't had any issues. Upgraded the GPU a month ago and it was flawless. I run many games like BF4, Star Citizen , Ark Survival, Cities Skylines , Diablo 3, Star Craft 2 and I haven't had any issues.
Dell U3415W + Dell U3011
Asus Z87-A
16GB Dominator 1866
Samsung 850 Pro 500gb
Samsung 840 pro 256gb x 2 RAID 0
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
Corsair HSX 1000watts
Corsair Obsidian 750D
Razer Deathadder Chroma 2015
Logitech G710 +
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Sennheisers PC360

Old January 8, 2016, 11:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'll throw my similar comments in. I would definitely recommend upgrading and taking advantage of the free upgrade. To be honest I can't come up with a good reason for not upgrading.

I came from Windows 8.1, no significant issues at all with upgrading two desktops and one laptop. I haven't done any actual benchmarks but all the games I play run very well on Windows 10, seemingly the same or better at least subjectively. These include Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 3 (I know I'm behind), World of Tanks, Civ games, Pillars or Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, Tomb Raider, Dishonored, etc. I haven't had any issues with crashes or performance with any of the games I play. I don't have experience with going back and trying to play original versions of old games.

If I had to really scrape and find a complaint the only two I can come up with would point the finger at the other manufacturors rather than Microsoft and Windows 10:

1. I have received a couple of HP printer updates since I installed Windows 10 (I was an early adopter) that had some issues installing. Didn't break the printer functionality but didn't like to see the error. Subsequent updates resolved the issue.

2. Saitek was very slow getting out a Windows 10 driver for my X52 HOTAS, and even as it is now it is still beta I believe. But like I said, this is a Saitek issue not a Microsoft one. They should have been ready, Windows 10 wasn't a surprise launch. Everything is working fine now but just be aware if you are invested in Saitek gear you'll have to jump through a couple of hoops before everything is working tickity-boo as it was in Windows 8.1. Actually, since Windows 10 big latest update I actually had to roll back to the Windows 8 driver to get it working correctly rather than the Windows 10 beta driver. Mysteries... my guess is there was something in the original Windows 10 USB software that no longer supported what Saitek did with their drivers and that Saitek worked around that to get their beta drivers working. Then when the 10 update came out, something was "fixed" that then broke the workaround in the beta drivers. Just speculation on my part

Last edited by Lysrin; January 8, 2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old January 8, 2016, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Do it. Create a system image backup first as well as backup your profile just in case. My gaming rig went from 8.1 -> 10 and no real issues running/playing games. Had small compatibility issues here and there but generally resolved with latest patches (e.g Crysis 3 I ran into a menu bug which i didnt have under W8.1. Was fine after updated).

Performance is as good as 8.1. Can't remember what W7 performance was like so no direct comparison.
Old January 8, 2016, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thankyou for the quick replies. My biggest gripe with 10, though could be proven wrong, is the automatic updates. That is what anoyys me most about pc gaming. So if W10 is always calling home to check for updates, I'd rather be in control of when it does, though I'm sure there's a guide out there by now for setting up a lean gaming system with the absolute minimum resources and services running?
And did't someone suggest to do a fresh install of your existing OS before the upgrade to 10 that way you're getting the best possible transition to the new system?
Old January 8, 2016, 01:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

All of my upgrades were on existing installs using the Windows 10 update system. I didn't do fresh installs of anything, not even applications. I didn't have any issues doing it that way.

Concerning automatic updates, I know that is an issue on people's minds but I haven't had any issues with it. My gaming PC is pretty well spec'd and I am on high-speed Internet but I haven't noticed any performance issues or degradation that would indicate Windows is doing anything negative. It seems pretty unobtrusive. The only time it installs updates that I normally notice is when it does it when I am shutting down/restarting the PC. Otherwise it has been nearly invisible for me. My daughter's PC has delayed her during startup for 5-10 min from time to time to install updates but hers is on a lot less than mine so that is the culpit there. You can also schedule a time for updates I believe in the Control Panel if having them install on shutdown/restart isn't an option. This really hasn't caused me any issues.

Edit: To the default on tracking stuff that seem ant-privacy is more a concern to me than the updates but there are guides for turning all that off both during and after installation and even a few reputable tools that will do it for you.

Last edited by Lysrin; January 8, 2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old January 8, 2016, 01:19 PM
Rookie

Made the move to Windows 10 from Windows 7 in October. Seems to be working just fine, i've set windows update to notify me if it needs to restart so it doesn't restart automatically. I think the only new feature i use is the tiles in the start menu. I'll probably play around more with it once i get a new PC this summer, then i'll completely customize it :) I notice it being more snappy when opening folders or booting up on my HDD. I don't like groove music or the new video player, so i reverted to VLC and windows media player which is still included.
Old January 8, 2016, 02:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
I'll throw my similar comments in. I would definitely recommend upgrading and taking advantage of the free upgrade. To be honest I can't come up with a good reason for not upgrading.
Do you know if they have solved the issue of not being able to change to 10 with the Users directory on a separate drive yet?

I have a smaller OS SSD which simply cannot handle all the AppData from my drive that has the Users directory on it (meaning I cannot just copy the data back to the OS drive). Given that the AppData folder includes programs which are limited in installs I can't say the prospect of de-licensing, uninstalling, then reinstalling is very palatable.
Old January 8, 2016, 03:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am aware of the looming deadline as well, but have a slightly different question than the OP.... What license would you give up to make the upgrade, Win 7 Ultimate or Win 8 Pro? Is one better than the other for a secondary box?