Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2015, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

Default PS4 and XBOX ONE

Anyone own both and have a real world answer on which they like better? I would want it for exclusives or sports games. I only play GPS and RPG's on the PC.
Old November 7, 2015, 10:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Trying to decide myself. I really like the idea of streaming from the Xbox to my PC upstairs, I'd like to play Halo & Gears of War on my PC instead of hogging the living room TV.
Old November 7, 2015, 11:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have had both. I like both. IMHO it really comes down to which system has more exclusive games that you like. And thats the bottom line.
Heatware
Old November 7, 2015, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Crazyea hit the nail on the head there. The console is primarily for gaming, so you'll probably wanna base your decision off of the exclusives. Stuff like Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, and surprisingly enough a little acrcade game called Resogun, are what made me go PS4. I do want to play Halo 5 and Forza 6 though...
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old November 7, 2015, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I mulled over getting both (I've got a boatload of visa rewards points haha), but got a PS4 in the end. Almost every good Xbone games ends up on PC, and now with MS trying to push Windows gaming (again) and talk of even Halo 5 coming to PC, unless there's a couple exclusives you REALLY want (Sunset Overdrive, Forza,.... Rare Replay) there's not too much to pick a Xbone over a PS4. If you don't have a gaming PC, I'd say it's a much tougher call, performance is pretty similar, and I can't think of any one thing that wows me with one system over the other. Still the 'exclusives you want' would seem to be the decider in my opinion. With PC taken out of the mix, the Xbox one will have a few more exclusives than it would otherwise.

With sports games, you'll probably be safely covered with either console. The market's too big for publishers to make Madden, Fifa, etc exclusive. You'll have to decide which exclusives you want more. If it's anything like last gen Xbox will get a few more exclusive shooters (mostly gears or it's ilk, Halo, Crackdown) whereas PS4 will have a wider variety of exclusives, mostly from its stronger Japanese developer base. Think more JRPGs, more action RPGs, etc. Of course that might not hold as true over this generation, but I doubt the trend will change.

If Mistwalker announces a Xbox One game, I might finally pull the pin on it :D
Old November 8, 2015, 10:08 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all of the info guys. I am leaning towards the PS4 but I would love to try the Gears of War games, I am hoping maybe Microsoft will bring them to PC sometime.

Best deal I have found so far is through target when you sign up with cart wheel you can get 15% off the uncharted collection. Though with best buy you can get the COD 1tb version with a free charger and fallout 4 for $429 (here in the US) plus by signing up on here I got a $20 gift card for bestbuy.
https://checkout.visa.com/campaign/u...als/index.jsp#
I don't want COD so if I sell that for $50 I am looking at around $380 for the 1tb version or if I go with Target I am looking at around $300 for the 500gb unit and then pick up some games on black Friday. Not sure if $80 is worth the 1tb unit as I never replay games so I just erase the data when I am done.
Old November 8, 2015, 10:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Owning both, I'd say the major difference is the XB1 is much more than just a gaming console, it's more of a "HTPC" in that it can do a multitude of functions and with the pending Windows 10 upgrade, it should be able to do even more. I still prefer the XB1 controller as well.

PS4 is more of a strict gaming console.

That being said, my PS4 has seen far more runtime since I play a ton of Destiny. Halo 5 and Forza 6 just don't "grab" me the same way so my XB1 sees less time. Granted, I could of bought Destiny on XB1 and had the same experience, it's just that my friends bought it on PS4.
Old November 8, 2015, 11:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I like the 360 controller. I dont like the XB1 controller as much. It seems really cheap and creeks and flexes. I really like the ps4 controller. But the battery life is not that great,
Heatware
Old November 8, 2015, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Owning both, I'd say the major difference is the XB1 is much more than just a gaming console, it's more of a "HTPC" in that it can do a multitude of functions and with the pending Windows 10 upgrade, it should be able to do even more. I still prefer the XB1 controller as well.

PS4 is more of a strict gaming console.

That being said, my PS4 has seen far more runtime since I play a ton of Destiny. Halo 5 and Forza 6 just don't "grab" me the same way so my XB1 sees less time. Granted, I could of bought Destiny on XB1 and had the same experience, it's just that my friends bought it on PS4.
I've only dabbled in the PS4's non-gaming and non-Netflix/Streaming Video Apps, but I think the PS4 can do a lot of that as well now. It was added after XB1 support though. It can definitely do local network video and audio with Media Server and Plex. I think there's local video support as well, but I'm not sure how broad their format support is. The Windows 10 features may end up being a huge boon to the XB1 users though, I haven't really kept up on what's supposed to be supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
I like the 360 controller. I dont like the XB1 controller as much. It seems really cheap and creeks and flexes. I really like the ps4 controller. But the battery life is not that great,
On the default settings the PS4's battery life does seem to suck a bit. Going into the settings and dropping the controller lights to the lowest setting seemed to give mine quite a bit more life.
Old November 13, 2015, 10:01 AM
Rookie

I have an Xbox One, and while I can't say anything about the ps4 because I never used one, I really like the features the Xbox gives you and the advantages.

1. Cheaper game prices (especially at best buy when they go on clearance or whatever)
2. IMO better controller
3. It regroups all the stuff I need into one place (ie netflix youtube etc., ps4 must do it too but I like the way Microsoft did it)
4. Backwards compatibility
5. Soon to come keyboard and mouse support for gaming
6. Better looking IMO
7. Ability to install games on external storage
8. Media controller very well made (can be bought for like 25$)
9. Better exclusive games IMO
10. Cheaper

And yeah that's pretty much it, ps4 might be better performing, it doesnt really change anything to the gaming experience to be running at 720p instead of 900p. Consoles are consoles after all