Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2015, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Dark Sun PC on GOG!!! And other D&D additions

GOG just added Darksun Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager to their library!

These were, IMO, the best of the old D&D PC games. Neat setting, overworld map, lots of party customization. I loved them. They were disastrously buggy at times, so I'm hoping CDPR fixed them up a bit as they usually do.

They've also added The Ravenloft and Krynn (Dragonlance) games, but I've never tried them as I wasn't a big fan of the dungeon crawler style.

BUT WAKE OF THE RAVAGER!!!!
Old October 29, 2015, 05:14 AM
Top Prospect

I'm kinda curious as to how the old Gold box games stand up today. Especially the Dark Sun games in todays fantasy grim dark environment.
Old October 29, 2015, 05:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That is cool that they are available but you know that expression "you can never go home again"? I think I am there these days with the old games that I loved. I've tried to go back and replay some, but I just can't get there. Call me a bit of a graphics snob (ok, not just a bit!) but as much I love and require good gameplay and story I need updated graphics these days to go with it. It's perhaps a failing on my part but there you go
Old October 29, 2015, 06:27 AM
Allstar

It depends on the game. Many of the best from the 90s are re-playable. Wake of the Ravager is one of those. It usually comes down to the interface and controls, rather than bugs or glitches that may be present.

For that reason Betrayal at Krondor was a nightmare. I stopped almost immediately.

Old October 29, 2015, 07:42 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
It depends on the game. Many of the best from the 90s are re-playable. Wake of the Ravager is one of those. It usually comes down to the interface and controls, rather than bugs or glitches that may be present.

For that reason Betrayal at Krondor was a nightmare. I stopped almost immediately.
I keep thinking I want to replay some old games, then I get to the interface and I do a Jason Schwartzman from Parks and Rec.

Parks And Recreation Animated GIF

I can handle text parser just fine and some are great, but there were some experiments done that ruin the experience. Maybe I'm just old.

Edited because my first attempt to include the gif failed gloriously.

PS, buying the gold box games now. maybe my kids will be hipsters and want to play them ironically.
Old October 29, 2015, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry D View Post
PS, buying the gold box games now. maybe my kids will be hipsters and want to play them ironically.
Old October 29, 2015, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
That is cool that they are available but you know that expression "you can never go home again"? I think I am there these days with the old games that I loved. I've tried to go back and replay some, but I just can't get there. Call me a bit of a graphics snob (ok, not just a bit!) but as much I love and require good gameplay and story I need updated graphics these days to go with it. It's perhaps a failing on my part but there you go
For me it really depends on the individual game and if I've played them before. Games that I really enjoyed before that are very 'playable', ie: the controls are still solid, it's very easy to pick up and play, etc, I'm still happy to sit and run through again. The Dark Sun games are like that for me. Quest for Glory is another example where I ran through 1-4 again earlier this year and still enjoyed them and they're still very playable and I don't really care about the graphics.
Games like XCOM UFO Defense, while I loved at the time, but are brutally paced and require tons of careful micromanagement, I just can't get into as much. Similarly, a game like Ultima I, I don't have any nostalgia for so I suspect when I finally give it a try I just won't be into it.

Nothing wrong with not liking and going back to the old ones though. Sometimes it's just that some games aren't as good as you remember, or they're a lot more faded and dull now that decades of gaming advances have been made. Every now and then though, there's some gems that you go back to that you find out you can enjoy just as much as the first time around (River City Ransom for NES in my case. Even the flawed Nightshade turned out to be a lot of fun still. On PC, QfG and Gabriel Knight are still my stand outs).
Old October 29, 2015, 09:51 AM
Allstar

It's hard to return to the X-Com games when you understand how the AI works - that is - it "cheats" by both having a superiour view distance to you, and memorizing your location. This is why they would walk around corners, see you, and return back around cover.

That said I still enjoy returning to them from time to time. The original X-Com creator was toying with revisiting the games, until the re-makes by Fireaxis came out

Star Control 2 is another perfectly playable game in 2015.

TES: Arena and Daggerfall are a bit rough, but my love of those games does override the inherent annoyances.

Old October 29, 2015, 10:49 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
It's hard to return to the X-Com games when you understand how the AI works - that is - it "cheats" by both having a superiour view distance to you, and memorizing your location. This is why they would walk around corners, see you, and return back around cover.

That said I still enjoy returning to them from time to time. The original X-Com creator was toying with revisiting the games, until the re-makes by Fireaxis came out

Star Control 2 is another perfectly playable game in 2015.

TES: Arena and Daggerfall are a bit rough, but my love of those games does override the inherent annoyances.
The counter point on X-Com is that I can justify saving and loading if the round doesn't go my way. And then ending up with skill capped soldiers on the Cydonia mission.
Old October 29, 2015, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nostalgia is a powerful thing for me. Part of the reason why I am enjoying Pillars of Eternity right now, aside from the fact that it's a good game, is that it reminds me of the blissful Saturday afternoons I spent immersed in Balder's Gate and similar. Good times As you say if a game still holds up well enough that nostalgia aspect could be enough to pull me back in. You're right too though some games I have gone back to have been much better in my mind's eye and likely should have stayed there. That is part of why I haven't gone back to play X-Wing or TIE Fighter again since they were rereleased. I choose to just leave them as brilliant gaming experiences of the past unsullied by the present or the future!