Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2015, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default AMD VSR

Hello all

Just realized a few days ago of the nifty VSR feature on my 290x. Was curious, what is actually going on with this?

Ive got it set to 2560x1440 on a 1080p 120hz display, and from what I can gather its clearly being displayed at 2560x1440 for everything (games and desktop) albeit things are a bit blurry (from running unsupported resolutions)

Am I running risk of damaging my monitor running this 24/7? Or is this some form of scaling witchcraft going on here, or is it just in my head. My fps in most games does not seem to have taken a hit (Elite Dangerous can get a bit choppy accessing my side panels while in supercruise).

I have read up on it, maybe its the heat or lack of sleep and I am just not getting what is going here lol.
I couldnt think of something snarky or interesting to put here this time around.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Basically it renders whatever resolution you're set at, then scales it to your native resolution so your monitor is only actually displaying 1080p. As for FPS with VSR, you are effectively rendering a 2560x1440 display so your FPS would be the same as if you were connected to a native 2560x1440 display. I've found it to mess with Source based games' HUDs pretty badly so I have practically no experience with it myself since that's all I've been playing lately.
Originally Posted by encorp
I don't know, maybe if you get a big enough compacticator you can put it in your butt and name yourself "sexbuttplug"...
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...