Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

View Poll Results: What resolution are you gaming at?
1080p 9 25.71%
1440p 13 37.14%
Ultrawide - 1080p 0 0%
Ultrawide - 1440p 4 11.43%
Multi-monitor 1 2.86%
4K+ on single monitor 0 0%
Other - explain if you like 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2015, 10:31 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default How many of you are actually gaming at 4K??

So lots of discussion going on with the AMD card launches/reveals about Fury X starting out with 4GB of RAM, benefits of HBM etc. and its ability to support 4K gaming. Great...

But my question is how many of you out there are actually gaming at 4K or want to?

The reason I ask is because I still see issues with running a 4K display as a gaming display but then using it for your desktop display. Fonts too small, DPI scaling, etc. all still pose obstacles in my mind (and to my eyes) and game UIs although getting better still can end up being too small to easily use on a 4K display; heck some games that happens on my 1440p display! This'll change as time progresses and support increases for 4K but is that really what we want? I am still not sold on the value-add for going from what I am running now, 27" 1440p up to 4K. I'm much more interested in the gaming benefits of ultrawide 1440p gaming monitor with G-Sync (or FreeSync if you prefer) rather than just bumping up the standard form factor to 4K resolution.

What do you think? Am I out to lunch on this one? Did you shell out for 4K and are finding it worth the expense and required extra GPU power? If so I'm happy to be educated based on your experience!
Old June 19, 2015, 11:56 AM
Rookie

I'm shopping for a new monitor at the moment and I'm curious about that also. I heard that you don't really need AA at 4k since the pixel density kinda fix the jagged edge issue which counter balance the extra power you need to retrain imagine quality. I'd like to know if that's true nonetheless, I've never tried gaming on a 4k display yet.

For the price, I think I would rather go with a G-Sync/Freesync at 1440 though.
Old June 19, 2015, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i went from 1080p to 1440p the next upgrade i make will be 5k.
Old June 19, 2015, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not sure about 4k gaming, I seem to remember reading something about 4k gaming and not getting very high FPS ( pretty sure it was on the forums here maybe in reviews) unless your running very high end possibly dual graphics cards
Old June 19, 2015, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should put a survey as well with 3 options : 1080p, 1440p, 4k. i am with 1080p.
Old June 19, 2015, 02:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just upgraded to 1440 from a high-end CRT-1080 was too short, for moi-on the assumption that 4k will be mainstream in a few years.
Old June 19, 2015, 04:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

30 inch 1600p is where I am at and will stay for a long time
Old June 19, 2015, 04:39 PM
MVP

I find the concept abhorrent, especially as the arguments are not even about monitors but TVs. 2560x1440 @ 144hz with either Freesync, Gsync, or ULMB offers me tangible advantages over a simple resolution bump... and I still have VSR or DSR if I so choose.

Last edited by Vittra; June 19, 2015 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typos!
Old June 19, 2015, 04:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm on ultrawide 3440x1440 so I guess I'm like 60% of 4K haha.

Actually after working out the math on it the amount of pixels, I'm not surprised 4K is a gpu hog. There's a few games where on high/ultra settings my 780 or my titan would definitely see the fps' take a noticeable dip.

If you're a real videophile and have the money and graphics horsepower for it, why not I suppose. I certainly don't feel like it's necessary, and even at my resolution sometimes there's issues with text or the UI being to small to read (partly due to so few games having good/proper UI scaling).

What's funny is the TV/console world and people getting twisted about it. A PS4 or a 360 won't ever be pumping out graphically intense games at 4K, and AFAIK blu-rays, streaming services and such won't be outputting true 4k content for time to come. Really I think it's just another marketing thing to sell more TVs like a 3 TRILLION to 1 contrast ratio!!!! Not to mention that consoles and most cable boxes/streamers use HDMI 1.4 still which I don't think even has the bandwidth for 4K.
Old June 19, 2015, 07:06 PM
MVP

Some of the people are using them as PC monitors, ugh. Thing is, current Nvidia cards with HDMI 2.0 don't support HDCP 2.2, which is the level of compliance required by devices for 4K Blu-ray content as well as what streaming services will use. Anyone buying a 9xx series Nvidia GPU for HTPC thinking they are forward compatible is in for a surprise.