Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2015, 02:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Pillars of Eternity

Anyone pick this up? I'm really liking it so far, a little text heavy learning the new spells and skills, but a good old school CRPG.

And I haven't hit a single bug yet. Obsidian actually got their stuff together in the QA department it seems :D
Old March 27, 2015, 06:50 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I've been meaning to look at this. I'm so accustomed to the whole voice acting thing I'm not sure if I could read through all that text....
Old March 27, 2015, 09:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The amount of text does get overwhelming. I've been treating like Skyrim or Mass Effect where eventually I just give up on reading every book and note I come across. If you stick to just the conversation text, it's not as much to handle.

Anyone who liked BG1 and BG2 will almost certainly like this one. There's lots of nice little engine improvements like 'double speed'. First thing I used to do in BG was cheat boots of speed onto everyone so I didn't spend so much time waiting for the party to walk places.
Old March 28, 2015, 09:19 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

So I played it a bit last night and I have to say I'm liking it. WAAAY too many walls of text though.
Old March 31, 2015, 07:29 PM
MVP
F@H

Enjoying it. Different pace than several of my current games. They did add a lot of nice little features as mentioned. There are some mods already (haven't tried any yet).

It's definitely not D & D rules. They have added a lot of new things, so there's a lot to learn from scratch on how the mechanics of things work.
Old March 31, 2015, 07:37 PM
Top Prospect

I was just playing through BG1 a few weeks ago, and was giving Darklands a run through.

This is just what I needed, another game to occupy my mind =(.
Old August 25, 2015, 09:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I just picked this up tonight on the Steam Midweek Madness sale(33% off). I had it in my wishlist, just waiting for it to go on sale. I really liked Divinity OS, but didn't finish it. I have to say I have enjoyed the first few hours and so far, not as steep a learning curve as D:OS. I am trying the Monk- always loved the Monk .
Old August 26, 2015, 04:21 AM
Top Prospect

It is an awesome game for folks you enjoy old-school c-rpgs. It requires some dedication though, the game can be brutal and doesn't do a whole lot of hand holding but once you start figuring out the game mechanics and get comfortable with the classes you are playing with, combat become a lot of fun. Lots of lore in the game so yeah lots of reading. Obsidian basically created a new fantasy world from the ground up so it takes some time to learn about it and the only way to learn about it is by reading stuff in the game.

As someone mention it is not D&D rule (which i'm fine with) but it is heavily inspired by older classics such as BG1 & 2, icewind dale and the likes. Anyone who enjoys c-rpgs will definity enjoy PoE. The White March expansion was just release couple of days ago I think, I haven't played it yet, the new content basically happens about half way into the game.
Old August 26, 2015, 07:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Didn't realize the White March was out already (or that it was in parts). I'll keep an eye out for a GOG sale on it. Right now my backlogs getting a little excessively huge so I don't feel the need to rush it.
Old August 26, 2015, 07:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This one has been on my wishlist for a while too. 33% off isn't too bad. But if I buy it... when do I find the time to play it?! :)