Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2015, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows 8.1 drivers for XBOX controller

Xbox 360 Wired Controller | Connect to Windows Computer | Xbox Wired Controller

I realize that this is probably old news for everyone else but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there is support for xbox one and xbox 360 controllers through windows 8.1 - Seems to work with most major first-person titles and the setup is pretty much plug and play.

I tried it on the Talos principal today for a while but had to quit because of this mysterious growing nausea - I thought I was coming down with a flu or something, but it occurred to me that it might be the use of the controller which allows me to look around much faster while moving in the game - combined with sitting right in front of my computer screen (as opposed to a TV across the room, which is the only other setup I've used a controller on. I guess I'm an old man now.
Old February 1, 2015, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have not tried the wired controller but for wireless ones using a knockoff dongle Windows 8 and 8.1(I forget about 7) come with drivers. IIRC you just select the dongle in device manager and then select the options to browse and manually select from a list.
I would hope that the wired controller is the same, perhaps someone else can chime in on that.
In the case of a knockoff dongle if you ever plug it into a port you have not used it with before you have to go back into device manager and manually select the driver, but pretty sure it can figure out when you go back to using a previously used port. Or perhaps I am getting it mixed up with those cheapo USB serial dealies. hmmm...

Does "Xbox 360 Accessories Software 1.2" have any other software in it or is it just a basic driver?
Attached Images

Old February 5, 2015, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HA!I guess it wasn't using the controller that made me natious the other day - appears to be a talos principle thing because they addressed it in the update today:

Build 222477 for The Talos Principle is released.
If you have previously opted into public beta, you already have this.

Here are the changes:

New features:
- Upon collecting all main story sigils, a backup of your progress is created which is never overwritten. This makes it easy and safe to try out different endings.
- Text files no longer require signed credentials. In other words: .lua, .xml, .txt and any other text files can now freely be created/modified by any external tools, even for the non-moddable version of the game.
- Added motion sickness menu.
- Added 'Fast Forward' command which causes in-game time to pass at an accelerated rate. By default, this command has no binding.
- Added hints for using puzzle arrangers.
- Benchmark can now be used in the full game without completing the demo episode.
- Added alternate version of soundtrack without Elohim voiceovers.
- Jammer shenanigans will now be interrupted via Developer Intervention(TM).