Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2015, 11:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Homeworld: Remastered. Anyone Else Excited?

I'm a HUGE fan of Homeworld. Not only was it ahead of its time, it still happens to be (IMO) one of the best strategy games ever created. It's Canadian too!

Anyways, I've played Homeworld 1 and 2 for years now and have used about a dozen good mods. Now GearBox is handling the Remastered version.

While I'm not 100% sure if I agree with paying $35 for two games I already have, it looks incredible and its a small price to pay if my purchase helps Sega realize there's a market for a few good sequels.

The PAX presentation was interesting as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq4SEebWt3Q

Only a few more weeks till it comes out!
Old January 31, 2015, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
While I'm not 100% sure if I agree with paying $35 for two games I already have, it looks incredible and its a small price to pay if my purchase helps Sega realize there's a market for a few good sequels.
Well when you put it that way I guess $32.89 (on steam) is a small price if it means that we might get a sequel. Should be pretty obvious with Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous being so successful that we want more space games, let alone space strategy that is extremely lacking.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 31, 2015, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

I probably won't be picking it up at launch, my gaming budget is spent for a while, but I am looking forward to it and hope it does well and will definitely be picking it up in time.

I
Old January 31, 2015, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Spent countless hours playing Homeworld: Cataclysm, definitely looking forward to playing these! Sadly, good space opera type games are lacking. The only one that really filled that void for me was Sins of a Solar Empire, but the lack of a real campaign kind of cripples it.
Old January 31, 2015, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
Spent countless hours playing Homeworld: Cataclysm, definitely looking forward to playing these! Sadly, good space opera type games are lacking. The only one that really filled that void for me was Sins of a Solar Empire, but the lack of a real campaign kind of cripples it.
Yeah, its too bad, Sins actually does have a decent premise for a story but never any effort put into it. The reason I don't play more Sins though is more to do with proper games take EONS. I've lost days playing it in the past.
Old February 1, 2015, 05:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I've actually stopped paying attention to Star Citizen simply because it is looking like a massive money grab right now. I've spent $200 on stuff that feels increasingly like DLC gussied up to feel like I'm supporting the developers, which is more than I've paid for any game, ever.

Homeworld was accessible and delightfully easy to play which is why I'll always remember it so fondly. It was made before the days of DLC and fleecing gamers for everything they're worth.
Old February 1, 2015, 09:18 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I am definitely excited, I remember pic this up back in the day of my 3dFX Voodoo Card!

Can't wait!!
Old February 1, 2015, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Love it. I own both the originals. But I'm gonna wait to see if this is really worth picking up.
Old February 1, 2015, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I've actually stopped paying attention to Star Citizen simply because it is looking like a massive money grab right now. I've spent $200 on stuff that feels increasingly like DLC gussied up to feel like I'm supporting the developers, which is more than I've paid for any game, ever.

Homeworld was accessible and delightfully easy to play which is why I'll always remember it so fondly. It was made before the days of DLC and fleecing gamers for everything they're worth.
Whats the best (even older) single ship space shooter in your opinion? I remember playing one back in the early 2000s, and losing my save on a HDD crash, and I didnt want to rebuild. I forget the name though. It had jump gates, and the other usual space stuff...

Anyways. I'm looking for something like Star Citizen, without the massive price tag
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 1, 2015, 11:50 AM
Top Prospect

I am somewhat interested, beat the first and never got to the second. Kind of interesting I remember the game looking good and I haven't touched the game since a year after release. My memory sort of identifies with the the remake being the original. I guess thats just me remembering things being better then they were.

Sagath
Also I would say the best space game was descent freespace 2 or Xwing alliance though a joystick was mandatory for the latter. I don't think there has been a game made like them since for pc. (That is better)
(for combat). It was either those or freelancer that you probably played.

Last edited by WiseWilson; February 1, 2015 at 12:04 PM.