Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2014, 08:28 AM
Top Prospect

Default Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Kenways Fleet

Anyone still playing this? I just started a while ago but I am loving it. I even gave up my 2nd job of playing Aion for a bit..... So was AC III as good as this? I keep hearing issues about Unity so I think I will stay away from that one. I probably have close to 70 or more hours into AC IV and I am only like 45% done of the main mission. I tend to do every single thing I can find, explains why I finally quit Fallout Vegas....was way to much to explore and do. Same with Skyrim, I just walked off randomly climbing mountains and never did actually finish the game lol.
Old December 11, 2014, 09:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

AC: BF is simply the best game in the series. I love playing Kenway's Fleet and just running around in my ship causing havoc.

Have you destroyed the Legendary Ships yet? If you want a challenge, try that. After 140 hours, I still have one left (actually two that are considered one Legendary).
Old December 11, 2014, 07:05 PM
Top Prospect

I ran in to the two legendary ships together but that seemed like a bit much for now....
Old December 12, 2014, 06:14 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You need to fully upgrade your ship with every option possible. Even after doing that, expect to die....A LOT.
Old December 12, 2014, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Heh, I remember really enjoying the naval part of this game but getting really bored whenever I had to do something on land, the game just hasn't changed at all since AC 1 more or less, and to be honest the fact that they tried to shoe horn in the future tech memory stuff always bugged me. But blowing up ships was good fun.
Old December 12, 2014, 12:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've bought and played to completion every game in AC series, with the exception of Liberation, Rogue and Unity. Here are my thoughts:

AC: stumbled on a great concept, but gameplay is repetitive and even painful at times (freerunning, especially). Characters are a bit wooden, though some of that is just Altair's personality.
AC2: Introduced Ezio, who is by far the most compelling character in the series (which is why there as three games devoted to him). Gameplay significantly improved and diversified, but still a bit repetitive.
AC: Brotherhood: Probably my favourite after Black Flag. Ezio is good, as always, and gameplay continued to improve. Still somewhat repetitive, but an attempt is made to shake things up through assassins' dens to man and protect.
AC: Revelations: Last game featuring Ezio, and completes the frame narrative about Desmond (which sucks). Gameplay improved further, with shortcuts to allow quicker movement, and a different flavour of story because they locate the game in Istanbul, rather than Italy. This is probably my #3.
AC III: New protagonist who is almost entirely unlikable (and not in a rogueish, Kenway kinda way). Some entertaining plot twists, but the story is pretty flat, and the new hunting and sailing aspects are poorly implemented. Feels like a beta test.
AC III: Liberation: I did buy this one once it was ported from Vita to PS3. It felt like a port, the story was boring, and shared many of the flaws from III. This is the only one I didn't even bother finishing the main story line.
AC: Black Flag: You've just played through it, so you know, but I would say the plotline is entertaining, the gameplay is extensively polished (especially the sailing), and the extra stuff to do is actually entertaining as hell (again, the sailing was the kicker for me). Awesome. My only criticism is that the main quest seemed a little short. All of a sudden, I was done the game, despite it saying I was about 70% complete (I hadn't done all the side crap yet). I feel like they made up for that with the extras, though.

I don't have an XBONE or PS4, and I'm not likley to afford one any time soon, so Unity is out. Fortunately (I guess), it sounds like it's terrible anyway, so I'm not missing anything. I haven't heard as much about Rogue, so I may still purchase it once the price drops. One thing I've noticed with AC games (like the Batman ones, which I've also enjoyed), is that they drop to the $20-$30 range fairly quickly.

Oh, and I'd be much happier if they just stopped the whole frame narrative bit. It's just obnoxious at this point, and I couldn't care less what is going on at Abstergo.
Old December 16, 2014, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

I plan to get into BF hard as soon as it hits a daily deal during this holiday sale, been looking forward to it since getting a gtx970. The AC series is not my favourite type of game at all, I'm just hoping the fighting mechanics are easier on keyboard for casuals like me.

edit: can someone who's an expert on this game give me some tips on keyboard fighting? That is the one thing I dislike about this series.

Last edited by On2wheels; December 19, 2014 at 07:15 PM.