Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2014, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Oculus Rift DK2

I just got my Dev Kit 2 and so far there really are not a lot of supported games. Well just Euro Truck Simulator which I don't own.

So the only thing I can review are just basic demos.

First off they made it very simple to connect to the pc but there still are a lot of cables going to your head.

The headset once adjusted is fairly comfortable but there can still be a bit of light bleed from around the edges. So it is best played in a low lit room or with the lights off.

The resolution is much improved but I can still see every pixel. 1080p is not enough. I think 4k is needed to get a near zero pixel visibility.

For those with glasses it works just fine so long as you don't have very thick frames.

Lastly the added camera adds a lot of immersion until you go out of its field of view. When you get back into the field of view of the camera it jerks your display back into position which breaks immersion. I think I may move the camera back farther but it only does that at extreme angles.

So far I am liking the improvements but I will say it is still far from a consumer release. I will add more of my thoughts once I play an actual game for extended period of time.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 30, 2014, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good. I would like to get the Rift and I'm very interested in your findings. Let us know.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 1, 2014, 08:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Elite: Dangerous (currently in beta) is apparently absolutely amazing with an oculus
Old August 1, 2014, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IL2 Battle of Stalingrad is also ready for the Rift. IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad This sim is the reason I'm going to buy the Rift.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5