Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2014, 01:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Final Fantasy - A Realm Reborn

Anyone playing this? I picked it up on sale and I'm considering giving it a tryout for a while. I'm not usually an MMORPG guy, but it's gotten a lot of positive praise and I was pretty underwhelmed by the ESO beta, so I thought I might try it out.
Old July 16, 2014, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm curious about this game as well. I've read really positive reviews, but it's tough for me to get past the fact that it's a FF MMO, which have been notoriously terrible. (I really didn't like the original one, and the original release of this game was terrible as well.) Even the Metacritic scores for this game are unusually high for an MMO.

Keep us posted if you give it a try and let us know your initial impressions.
Old July 16, 2014, 03:26 PM
Top Prospect

i have been playing this for about 6 months now, and with my past mmo expertise i'll just chime in some of my 2 sense. It's pretty ******* confusing for the first little while. now cosmetically wise is a very nice looking mmo compared to what else is currently out there.
combat wise this game suffers from alot of long and longer gcd spells that can be softened with some haste, but its deffinetly clunky at times and depending on the class clipping anything will **** your rotation completely. Leveling is the biggest and most painfull process of this game. your gonna level your starting class to 30 then a sub to 15 then you can finally branch off and level your end game class to 50. Its very grindy but there are deffinetly ways around this. i guess the one good drawback is you can lvl any class at any time if you so choose and can have gear sets. you can also join freecompanys which are like guilds that arent affiliated with anything. endgame content is deffinetly the bright spot in this game because it requires some pretty good cohesion to get stuff done. they have dumbed down the gear grind a little by releasing a few easier dungeons that can help supliment the grind for gear. either way its a grind and a fun game and community wise people are actually super friendly and passionate about the game.
Old July 16, 2014, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It sounds like it harkens back to the older style of MMO's where there was actually a challenge to accomplish content, and you HAD to work with other players to get anywhere of note. That could be interesting for sure.
Old July 16, 2014, 05:08 PM
Top Prospect

it requires a decent amount of time cald. let me know what server you end up in and if i have something there i'll send you a months worth of max exp food and what not to help ease the pain!
Old July 16, 2014, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

my all time fav FF was FF7 but I really never cared for console games I have played all FF games up to I think FF10 which I didn't care for that much
Old July 16, 2014, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'll let you know if I end up playing, but I won't pick up anything new until the end of summer at least. June through August are my 'go enjoy the sun' months. ;)
Old July 16, 2014, 06:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Is this the one for 24.99 on steam?
Old July 16, 2014, 07:19 PM
Top Prospect

it was like 12 or something during the summer sale and yes its on steam
Old July 16, 2014, 07:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

There were lots of little bugs, strange occurrences, and features missing that surprised me, considering it was a REMAKE of the original failure. I wish I could be specific, but I put this game entirely out of my mind after foolishly spending money on it on release. Only played a few days. I found Rift (on release, know nothing of it's current status) as well as GW2 to be better games overall.

It's certainly not a game that speaks of the difficulty of early MMOs though. This isn't anywhere on the level of EQ / FF XI, but nothing really is anymore, as that level of hostility to the player is developer suicide in the current market.