Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23, 2014, 01:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Wolfenstein: The New Order [no spoilers]

On a bit of a whim and some peer pressure I bought the preorder just before it ended, so it came with the Doom 4 beta key and a copy of RTCW as well.
I have to say even with the texture pop-in that the idtech5 engine is known for, and running on my paltry 560ti 1gb, it's sometimes one of the best looking games I've played, after Crysis 3 probably. I'm sure the best eye candy is only there on a beast machine.

I'll can't really give a full pros and cons list until after I finish the game, but near the start the AI was my biggest complaint; I expected a bit more of them at my difficulty setting. But as the game goes on it seems to be ramping up, so maybe it's an intentional curve

WTNO has some new water effects I haven't seen before when it's dripping on the players eyes, sadly I didn't get a screenshot of it. And I probably can't capture all that it has to offer, here's a few screens of parts I thought were pretty nice looking. If anyone else gets it on a monster system, post your screens too.

They claimed to have a full storyline and I'd say they delivered. The voice acting and cutscene quality is very well done. Thinking back on Rage, you could compare the experience to that I suppose, being something new and fresh with 'megatextures', so we probably should control early excitement. WTNO still blocks you from exploring every square inch of the maps but it's by no means as open as Rage was or seemed to be (so far, about half way in). In the same breath it does give you usually at least 2 paths to take to explore a map/section of level, which is pretty cool as you play along. And blasting away nazi's with futuristic weapons never gets old.

I'm happy with what I paid, greenman deals are the best, and I will definitely play thru a second time to see the differences my choices make. Hope the Doom beta is worth it.
Wolf TNO - Imgur
Old May 23, 2014, 06:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I agree. Great looking game and really not that many bugs. Most of all, the game is fun because it doesn't take itself all that seriously.
Old May 23, 2014, 08:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If there even is a Doom 4 since apparently the whole dev team has gone to hell (pun intended) the team changes constantly, managers aren't that great at managing, not so friendly environment, etc... of course this is all based off one "ex worker" so who knows if it's true or not. Since there's absolutely no info on Doom 4 for a while, it might be true.

I'll wait for Wolfenstein to be on sale before purchasing since paying 60$ for a single player game which probably doesn't have any replayability is overpricing it.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that game is Huge apparently it is because of the cut scenes but I want to grab it so my 560ti should be able to handle this game?
Old May 23, 2014, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
that game is Huge apparently it is because of the cut scenes but I want to grab it so my 560ti should be able to handle this game?
It feels like it's really taxing my 560ti at 1080p, I've experimented with the settings I can live with it but I'm sure taking the res down a notch might smooth it out more. I may try fraps today and get some hard data. My i5 3570k stock should handle it I think(?).

I agree that at $60 it is steep, I never would have done it if it weren't for greenmans coupons, my store credit, and the doom beta. And really, if I met 25 or 30 people from Bethesda/id software (janitors, security, secretaries included), and gave them each a $2 coin I doubt it would change their day much, so there's no buyers remorse here.
Old May 26, 2014, 01:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Could try GeForce app to tweak settings. Its actually done decent job if taxung my lil htpc with a 430 2gb for light gaming even got Diablo 3 running at 45 Fps.
Old May 26, 2014, 05:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nicely detailed textures. Seems a little heavy on the film grain in the foreground . Is there an option to disable it?
Old May 26, 2014, 06:39 AM

Open the console, type this command: cvaradd r_skippostprocess 1

That can also be modified in the Config file. Just change the "0" to "1".
Old May 26, 2014, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

does this game have the same type of .cfg as the Wolfenstien ET game?
Old May 26, 2014, 08:21 AM

There is a highly modifiable config file but not to ET's extent.