Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2014, 07:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default LAN Gaming

LAN Gaming is obviously not new to some of you.
Others probably don't remember the fun of actually having your friends in the same room, screaming at the telly just isn't the same.

I assist in organizing a LAN group every year and for the past few we've been playing the Battlefield series. Started on BF2 -> Bad Company 2 -> BF3 -> currently on BF3 with all the add-ons.

We wanted something more team oriented so we've just bought Insurgency. It looks cool and a bit more tactical. It also has a private dedicated server which is nice.

Anyone still run LAN games? I was trying to think of something we may have missed:

We've tried Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty 2
Day of Defeat.

Titanfall looks interesting but I fear it's just CoD with robots. it's it's expensive for buying 10 copies.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well if your into zombie craze lfd2 is nice but dont think I has enough open spots for 10. Could always load up starcraft 2 but then again it is pricey if buying all 10 copies. I do miss Lan Partys thougth I was supplying the Bawls or Other energy drink cocain lol orderd from frozen cpu at $50 a flat.
Old May 17, 2014, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

or go nostalgia with eDuke32

small fee and plays any system
Old May 17, 2014, 06:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That could work I remember a game called Gore it was a UT Clone but holy hell it was Extremely Optimized back in day had cool features like jumping from builds with grappling hooks. And rockets in a small alley was fun. Raining rockets on noobs was hilarious.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Could always load up starcraft 2 but then again it is pricey if buying all 10 copies.
The free Starter Edition of SC2 is pretty amazing. The only things you can't do are ranked ladder and the full campaign. You can play all the custom maps. Also, as long as one person has full version of HotS, all others in the party can play full HotS as Spawned games.

SWAT 4 is a great team LAN game!
Old May 17, 2014, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect

If your into turn based games, Heroes of might and magic (3 is my preferred of the series) or CIV are always extremely fun LAN games. It's pretty satisfying to spend a few hours planning (and succeeding hopefully) in demolishing a friend.
Old May 17, 2014, 08:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Every now then ill load up age of empires 2 loved my game of thrones custom map. I built a defensive area near my base four walls a gate and filled it with wolves lol was funny when ppl attacked my castle let about 300 wolves loose on them.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Total Annihilation, last game I played over a LAN...... I bet I can git a large map on my laptop screen resolution now, heck I could probably run VMware and play 4 player against myself with 4 VM's and installs :)

Have an A-1 day!
Old May 17, 2014, 10:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Lol thatd be interesting and fun. Anyone remember 7 Kingdom's looked like Age of Empires but twisted with Diablo and Spawn Creatures.
Old May 20, 2014, 01:11 AM
Trial Member

Lan gaming is incredible game play, enjoying the fun of being with the friends in the game. We play it once in a month