Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2014, 06:18 AM
Top Prospect

If you're coming from Call of Duty, then yes, it's really hard to kill people, complete the campaign and spend an hour trying to hit those moving target in the test range, should be able to give you an idea how to shoot.
Old March 30, 2014, 06:54 AM
Top Prospect

Tried that...I hit everything on the test range bang on.
Only ever played bf series... actually played competitively on some of the best teams on cal/twl at the time.(1942/DC, Bf2/BF2BC2 ) Tried cod and wasnt a fan of the amount of hacking on pc.
So this morning I lowered all my video settings to low and shut off anything that was connected to the internet to see if maybe thats what was happening. Same result. I'm hitting targets and they keep going and they drop me.
Apparently it's a common thing. Game works kick ass for some...works like mine does for others.
probably old news but Addressing “Netcode” in Battlefield 4 - News - Battlelog / Battlefield 4
Old March 30, 2014, 09:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You need to play on Hardcore servers.

"Normal" servers are hard IMO as the weapon damage and health regen make it very challenging to kill anyone unless you get a headshot.

And I don't think the guns you unlock with higher levels are really that much better. The starter assault rifle is pretty good and I used it for quite some time even while I had other guns unlocked. Once you get a scope and grip, things are much improved. I think it's more about learning the characteristics of the gun you have (recoil, damage, distance, bullet drop, etc).

There's also a network smoothing option in the settings. You could try adjusting that too.
Old March 30, 2014, 10:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

but on hardcore you still have the same crap happen but in different way. Now as soon as you spawn, as soon as you take 1 round in foot you die, your vehicles seem to get dropped so fast but yet, you try take down enemy and many times they seem to be able to take more hits anyways (well except for a clean headshot)

The way DICE designed the game in regards to hit compensation and general ballistics, the way they decided to not have independent balancing (i.e each vehicle should have its own strength/weakness) the whole concept of hardcore being needed (BF2 and previous didn't have go figure they were properly balanced) and many of the graphical choices are just garbage. The BF series in many ways has been a yo-yo in so many aspects which is a crying shame. They also seem to be the only ones who have a hell of a time with the constant hit reg issues, so they add hit-compensation/network smoothing to help and most of the time it does not really.

I really wanted to like it myself cause it is a step up from BF3 and BC2 in some ways but the same or worse in more. I don't mind there being weapons that unlock as you level, but the variety that so many seem to handle the same even though their specs say otherwise is a joke, not all weapon should have same unlocks, and vehicles should have very few unlocks to keep the play more stable.

I give them creds for thinking outside the box, but they really should not be smoking stuff when they are doing it either :)
Old March 30, 2014, 11:27 AM
Top Prospect

I used recon as a crutch when I first started playing. I was all over the place with my aiming, I couldn't hit squat either. I'm certainly no pro, but I'm holding a consistent 1.5 K:D with engineer, and usually 2+ recon.

One thing that made the biggest improvement for me was mouse sensitivity. Test your mouse movement per inch to do a 360 in game. I was at about 2" before, now I play at around 8". It was painfully slow at first, but it's absolutely necessary to keep on target, especially when you're moving around. You'll never be able to stay on target if you're jumping around and when you're shooting at someone you move our mouse 1/4" and you're point a completely different direction.

Weapons I suggest you use the AK 5C with a red dot sight. It's strange that it's the first carbine, because it's easily one of the best. Very neutral recoil and VERY fast bullet velocity, this will help you immensely as a rookie.
Old March 30, 2014, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I find there's a large disparity in the quality of the weapons as you rank up. i.e. the stuff the level 60 guy has is WAY WAY better than the stuff a level 15 guy has. .

I strongly disagree. I find most of the starting weapons are actually the best, well rounded ones available. AK5C with red dot or holo, and the P226 with normal grenades is a pretty sweet combo.

Sniper rifles get better with levels I'll have to agree with you though, simply for the power they have. Headshots are still headshots though.
Old March 31, 2014, 01:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Battlefield isn't about bunny hopping and mercin fools with a no scope intervention.

Being a successful (and by that I mean your score is #1, anything else than MVP is failure)lone wolf in BF3/4 is near impossible. Instead of going through a list of techniques to learn and practice, i'll give a top 3.

I haven't played bf4 as much as bf3 cuz the drivers are still buggy for my trifire rig, but most of these points are general BF points that have worked since bf2.

1: Map knowledge / awareness. Nothing can beat this. Know the map. I could get #1 easy on a pro rated metro server, but I'll get worked on maps I don't know well. Know where the murder holes are. Know where each power corner is. Know where it's hard to see you yet you have a gun trained on people. Know where to hide and regain health.

2: Match your play style to your equipment. Work corners and alleys with big guns or say a 3x scope with a bipod. Run and gun with laser sights and foregrips. If the game dynamic changes then change your kit! I change my kit dozens of times some matches. If you haven't unlocked much in bf4 this means changing class.

3. Flanks = #1 score. Running a flank as a lone wolf..... don't miss....ever. Supressors are my very fav for running flanks. You can merc whole squads without people knowing you're there if you have multiple surpressed weapons. My fav in bf3 for this is m416 and g18.

aside, I almost got banned from my fav server from one flank. I killed ~a dozen people by flanking them as RU in metro (bf3). The americans were all @ B, hiding behind the wall, with their guns trained away from me. Supression meant that they didn't realize they were being shot from behind. Lame server admins are always a threat to skilled players. This brings up a good point; make friends with the admins on your fav server. So when you pull some trick s**t you don't get banned.

So, easier than being a lone wolf is playing with some good friends/clan mates on a VOIP server. Even playing with friends that aren't nearly as good as I am will increase my score and fun level as long as we work together.

Check out my stats (and my MVP medal from being MVP way too many times) in bf3 "Masteroderus".

My weapon of choice is the 870MCS with slugs with extended mag and iron sights. Yeah it's a little like quick scoping... but with a much bigger round than any sniper rifile!

PM me if you have any specific questions!
Old March 31, 2014, 01:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg View Post
I used recon as a crutch when I first started playing. I was all over the place with my aiming, I couldn't hit squat either. I'm certainly no pro, but I'm holding a consistent 1.5 K:D with engineer, and usually 2+ recon.

One thing that made the biggest improvement for me was mouse sensitivity. Test your mouse movement per inch to do a 360 in game. I was at about 2" before, now I play at around 8". It was painfully slow at first, but it's absolutely necessary to keep on target, especially when you're moving around. You'll never be able to stay on target if you're jumping around and when you're shooting at someone you move our mouse 1/4" and you're point a completely different direction.

Weapons I suggest you use the AK 5C with a red dot sight. It's strange that it's the first carbine, because it's easily one of the best. Very neutral recoil and VERY fast bullet velocity, this will help you immensely as a rookie.
I'd actually recommend playing with a variable DPI mouse with a DPI clutch function. I play @ 8200 DPI, which I don't recommend to 99% of people without a ton of practice, but when I zoom in to snipe or take a long shot I either go down to around 1200 dpi, or i'll hold down my DPI clutch and have it @ minimal DPI.
Old March 31, 2014, 10:35 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I find there's a large disparity in the quality of the weapons as you rank up. i.e. the stuff the level 60 guy has is WAY WAY better than the stuff a level 15 guy has. You kind of have to check servers out before you join if you're a low level and hopefully find one with players of a similar level.

That and there's a lot of high level guys that play 8 hours a day. And the odd hacker too.
No this is not really the case, the starting guns all work and will kill, ranking up makes the guns better by addition of red dot sights and grips as well as barrel attachments. If you finish the single player game you can unlock the M249 which imo is still one of the best support guns, the AK 12 is a great gun too, however my general go to assault gun these days is the M416 (or the aek for cc). The M416 is pretty easy to unlock. The engineers carbines are pretty good and I still play with the first one the AK 5C.

What really chap's my ass about this game are the hit markers, the latency and sound bugs. Killcam is also bothering me these days too.
This leads to me being hit and killed when I am completely out of site of any enemy. The hit markers do not always show either, so one moment I am running and the next moment I am dead. If I am hit in the open I can run behind cover or in to a building and I will still be hit resulting in my death when I am in a building away from direct fire. This is a latency bug for sure and needs to be looked in to. My ping on these servers is around 40ms so the issue is with the code and not internet connection. Recently the sound has been cutting out for me when using headphones on team deathmatch!!!
If there was something better out right now I would be playing it.
Old May 21, 2014, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Amazon currently running a sale on bf4, $25. Tempting because some friends already play and I miss the comraderie, but I tend to ragequit these games after 2-3 rounds due to pure frustration. So add me to the whiners pool, but Masteroderus's list above really explains alot, with a good squad it can be alot of fun.
Amazon.com: Battlefield 4 - PC: Video Games