Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2014, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

The game has not lost it's difficult content, the scale has simply started further to the left to accommodate casuals, they're the ones who keep the servers paid for. Hardcore content is as difficult as ever, if you took the quality of todays raiders and put them up against Vanilla C'thun or Naxx it would be a walk in the park.

What has ruined the game for me is the lack of community. Server mergers have aided in this, the world is busy once again but the sense of loneliness is still there. I've been playing since late 05' and I've had an active sub ever since. I still have fun in this game, but I would certainly not recommend it to anyone starting fresh.

As for the gear acquisition now, yes I'll agree that it's too easy but it wasn't better in the past. Gear in Vanilla was terrible, you fought 39 other people for 2 or 3 drops per boss and every form of fair loot distribution was corrupted. DKP, loot council, /roll all had their drawbacks, nothing felt worse than a recruit/gm's gf getting that drop you always wanted.

Vanilla being prime I"ll argue no as well. Raids were shit, the difficulty was simply because numbers were tuned high or the requirements to be competitive meant you had to spend hours grinding to prepare. The fights were simple, there was nothing well designed or creative about them. BC was the best of both worlds, that's the era I'd go back to.

/rant

Last edited by clg; March 2, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old March 2, 2014, 12:52 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg View Post
The game has not lost it's difficult content, the scale has simply started further to the left to accommodate casuals, they're the ones who keep the servers paid for. Hardcore content is as difficult as ever, if you took the quality of todays raiders and put them up against Vanilla C'thun or Naxx it would be a walk in the park.

What has ruined the game for me is the lack of community. Server mergers have aided in this, the world is busy once again but the sense of loneliness is still there. I've been playing since late 05' and I've had an active sub ever since. I still have fun in this game, but I would certainly not recommend it to anyone starting fresh.

As for the gear acquisition now, yes I'll agree that it's too easy but it wasn't better in the past. Gear in Vanilla was terrible, you fought 39 other people for 2 or 3 drops per boss and every form of fair loot distribution was corrupted. DKP, loot council, /roll all had their drawbacks, nothing felt worse than a recruit/gm's gf getting that drop you always wanted.

Vanilla being prime I"ll argue no as well. Raids were shit, the difficulty was simply because numbers were tuned high or the requirements to be competitive meant you had to spend hours grinding to prepare. The fights were simple, there was nothing well designed or creative about them. BC was the best of both worlds, that's the era I'd go back to.

/rant
What server do you play on?
Old March 2, 2014, 02:08 PM
Top Prospect

Crushridge primarily but also on Cho'gall
Old March 2, 2014, 03:44 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Crushridge primarily but also on Cho'gall
Are you Horde or Alliance?

Crushridge looks pretty even but Cho'gall looks to be Horde Dominate.
Old March 3, 2014, 03:53 PM
Top Prospect

Horde since day 1.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

/rant
I completely agree with you, having played Vanilla, TBC, some of Wrath and the next one, TBC seemed to really be the peak of everything Blizzard could do for WoW. They balanced out classes, made off specs actually useful so you weren't pigeon holed into their original thoughts of each class.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I completely agree with you, having played Vanilla, TBC, some of Wrath and the next one, TBC seemed to really be the peak of everything Blizzard could do for WoW. They balanced out classes, made off specs actually useful so you weren't pigeon holed into their original thoughts of each class.
Yes.

Having played a Hunter and Shaman in those years, it was nice to have multiple roles available depending on the needs of the group or raid.

Shamans kicked ass as healers back then, so did hunters for some CC instead of just being damage dealers that facerolled 2-3-4 abilities.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

me personally i was never a hardcore raider so i like all this casual stuff... just getting on for 1 hr and have stuff to do then log off and log back on next week
Old March 4, 2014, 08:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
Yes.

Having played a Hunter and Shaman in those years, it was nice to have multiple roles available depending on the needs of the group or raid.

Shamans kicked ass as healers back then, so did hunters for some CC instead of just being damage dealers that facerolled 2-3-4 abilities.
I played a druid, going from being stuck as a healer as becoming a main tank for a hardcore raiding group was great. I could also actually dps or tank pvp too, rather than being a dedicated flag runner in Vanilla.

I still think Blizzard could make a killing creating retro servers, namely servers that have the last patch before the next expansion came out. So a Vanilla, TBC, Wrath, Cata (maybe) to allow people to play the versions of the game they truly enjoyed. Make it one server per version, but say eventually allow yourself to carry that character to the next server forward once you've accomplished all you wanted.

The only thing they would perhaps need to do is rebalance Vanilla for say 20-25 rather than 40 (As I could see that being a challenge still to get enough people for that)
Old March 4, 2014, 11:32 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyGeek View Post
me personally i was never a hardcore raider so i like all this casual stuff... just getting on for 1 hr and have stuff to do then log off and log back on next week
The current state of affairs is going to keep the servers live, players such as yourself are the overwhelming majority. In order to keep servers alive for the 5% (guesstimate), you have to give the 95% something to do with their time and WoW is now doing this. Even trying to get a group together for a simple heroic 5-man back in BC required some time which wasn't always feasible. The upside to this, for myself and I'm sure others my friends list grew massively.