Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2014, 01:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Rift Exclusive games

Is there a world in which this makes any sense?

I'm a big fan of the Rift and am looking forward to where it goes in the future BUT I don't plan on buying one any time soon, a few too many trade offs vs my monitor currently. I'm sure I'm not alone in this thinking

Yes cockpit games will be amazing in the Rift, theres no denying that, car, plane, spaceship, the rift was made for these games but I do not understand the limiting of the new Eve game to ONLY the rift, especially when very similar games are coming out as well (Star Citizen and Elite)
Old February 6, 2014, 02:14 PM
Top Prospect

It does kind of make you wonder, Oculus is co publishing the title so that means they are throwing money into the ring, they just got a 32 million investment so they have the funds. The limiting it does make sense when you consider Star Citizen and Elite. They need a way to differentiate themselves and this might do it. There was a poll a while back on star citizen and it showed 2/3rds were planning to get the rift. That's 200k hardcore spacers that would respond well to a exclusive game marketed toward them. The question is how much Oculus had to pay (if anything) for this. If they just have to help market and give a team to do optimization and conversion of the game its a win win.
Old February 6, 2014, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This is the one I'm really looking forward to..IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad The Rift will be fantastic with this sim.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 6, 2014, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWilson View Post
It does kind of make you wonder, Oculus is co publishing the title so that means they are throwing money into the ring, they just got a 32 million investment so they have the funds. The limiting it does make sense when you consider Star Citizen and Elite. They need a way to differentiate themselves and this might do it. There was a poll a while back on star citizen and it showed 2/3rds were planning to get the rift. That's 200k hardcore spacers that would respond well to a exclusive game marketed toward them. The question is how much Oculus had to pay (if anything) for this. If they just have to help market and give a team to do optimization and conversion of the game its a win win.
I just fail to understand WHY anyone would limit their market share in this fashion though. The PC has always been about options, choice, control, openess. Why not just make it "Rift Certified" or "Better with Oculus". Why try to turn the Rift into another platform?

I see this becoming a tech demo more than a game, just something to demo the Rift in the short term while people wait for the real players, aka Star Ctizen, to come out.

I must have missed that StarCitizen poll, any chance you have a link?
Old February 6, 2014, 05:13 PM
Top Prospect

I agree with you, I don't think it makes to much sense for the eve developers unless they were being paid. I am just trying to think of hypothetical reasons for this. Maybe it is only a timed exclusive, Also they devolped the game for standard monitor play so unless they strip data out you think it could be hacked to play on a regular lcd anyway.

I was wrong it was just under a third according to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZWaBnpSvUk

Go to 16:30 or so I can't find the exact poll or even remember ever being asked that question.