Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2014, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

Default Brad McQuaid is back - Pantheon Rise of the Fallen Kickstarter

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen by Visionary Realms, Inc. ? Kickstarter

FROM KISKSTARTER WEBSITE:

Hey guys, Brad here. I'm going to be taking some time to go through a bunch of our most frequently asked questions and update the page with some answers. The team has been chatting all day about what we feel we can deliver, and what can make the Kickstarter experience and involvement better for everyone involved. We appreciate all of your support! Thanks, and keep an eye on the FAQ as it gets updated!

GAME DETAILS
An MMO developed by gamers who aren't afraid to target an audience of like-minded gamers.
A fantasy themed Massively Multiplayer Role Playing game (MMO) with a heavy focus on character development, an immersive world, and teamwork.
An MMO for players wanting a challenging and rewarding experience.
An open world in which you explore to obtain not only more powerful items but also new spells and abilities.
Travel where and when you want to in a non-linear world.
A huge world to explore, trade, and adventure in.
A complex back-story that players may gradually discover as they grow in power and explore the world.
A constantly expanding and evolving world.
Group-focused social gameplay using a class based system to encourage teamwork.
Customize your class by bonding with the spirits of fallen warriors.
Reactive combat where you can determine what the NPC is doing and react to it. (move, counter, deflect, etc.) .
Combat will be challenging and involved -- your decisions will matter and directly affect the battle's outcome.
Travel the world and profit from selling exotic items collected from distant realms. Different cities and outposts may have local Bazaars.
Limited and class based teleportation may get you close, but in order to reach many destinations you will have to traverse the planar scarred lands of Terminus through the use of your own two feet or on the back of your mighty steed.
Earning experience is only part of what it takes to level up. Exploring the world you will gain knowledge and power allowing you to overcome more powerful enemies.
The game will run on PC, Mac, and possibly other platforms in the future.

GAME TENANTS
An awareness that content is king
A belief that game economies should be predicated on delaying and minimizing item value deflation
A commitment to a style of play that focuses on immersive combat, and engaging group mechanics.
An understanding that a truly challenging game is truly rewarding
An expectation that the path of least resistance should also be the most entertaining
A mindset that Designed Downtime should be a part of the game to ensure players have time to form important social bonds.
A belief that an immersive world requires intelligent inhabitants
An understanding that faction should be an integral part of interacting with the world and its citizenry.
A commitment to creating a world where a focus on group play will attract those seeking a challenge
A belief that the greatest sense of accomplishment comes when it is shared

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is a group-focused MMORPG based on challenging gameplay and open world high fantasy. It takes place on a world populated by deities and heroes, called Terminus. Mortal and planar shards which have collided create the dramatic and epic environment of Terminus. With some of those shards came deities and demigods that, over time, raised empires which forged the turbulent political landscape. Centuries later, new planar collisions have occurred that will pull the players into the world and its politics. The player is a legendary hero, stripped of his or her powerful relics and left to explore the dramatically diverse and epic regions of Terminus with hopes of reclaiming their relics and those of lost heroes.
Pantheon’s combat places a focus on preparation and awareness of the enemy. The player can actively dodge, block, or deflect attacks. Spell and ability pre-selection is critical to defeat encounters, as is forging alliances with other players. You won't want to be caught in the wilds of Terminus alone, but exploration of the vast and dramatically diverse world landscapes will be richly rewarding. Through exploration the player can uncover mysteries and unique adventures as well as acquire rare and exotic spells and abilities from dungeons and challenging encounters.
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is an intensely social game for the determined thrill-seeker, because we believe that the greatest sense of accomplishment comes when it is shared. Imagine a vast, detailed world of swords and sorcery, of dragons and knights, of fiery swords and chests overflowing with treasure. A world in which a myriad of sentient races and creatures live and affect change.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old January 16, 2014, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

Here is community Q&A 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9nYMMluAMY

Here is just released Q&A 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slve6F4aM9w

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old January 16, 2014, 01:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Doesn't it take more than $800k to make an MMO? Yes it does. Our intent for this Kickstarter is first to prove that there's enough of a demand for a group focused game that believes in the experience of the game instead of handholding, and to get the ball rolling on development. If we can get to the goal we will have proved that and will have enough to get this game started and be able to get our studio set up and operational. If we only get to the goal and little more, then we will visit other funding opportunities but first and foremost we wanted to make it possible to be completely crowdfunded so that you, the players, have more to do with what goes into the game than other powers would should we need to turn to those options later.

Quote:
Are those the actual screenshots?
No. They are early images from a pre-alpha/prototype build using placeholder art. Consider them as a representation of our work on the game. The finished product will be considerably more polished with a lot more cool stuff going on. For now, we just want you to see that we’re serious about making this game with our screenshots of the prototype to test in-game mechanics.

This game sounds like a lot of wishful thinking right now. After the Vanguard debacle, I'm going to wait and see.
Old January 16, 2014, 06:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sounds like alot of work would go into this but if they pull it off and don't use a outdated Engine to drive it I can see this as Fantasy done right. It'd be crazy if they could use crytek Engine lol for deep character customization.
Old January 16, 2014, 08:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
Sounds like alot of work would go into this but if they pull it off and don't use a outdated Engine to drive it I can see this as Fantasy done right. It'd be crazy if they could use crytek Engine lol for deep character customization.
The game described in the Kickstarter was already made. Including deep character customization. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Apparently its budget was around $30 million. It is an Unreal 2 engine based game released in 2007.

Its development was mismanaged from at all levels. The game launched in an alpha state because Sigil (Brad's company at the time) ran out of money. Its launch was a complete disaster. Eventually Sigil was bought by SOE who proceeded to marginalize the title.

A lot of dirty laundry was aired in the aftermath of Vanguard and it painted a very ugly picture of Brad as a a project leader. Mismanagement, drug addiction, infidelity among team leaders, etc.. It was a mess.
Old January 16, 2014, 10:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Damn well big business normally paint others in very bad lighting. So is he trying to use kickstarter to create a new game?
Old January 17, 2014, 06:08 AM
Top Prospect

It is funny, several of the VR team are from Sigil, so I do not beleive it was as bad as it was painted. In fact everybody loved their job there until it all came crashing down, they say beleive half of what you hear, and only half of that is truth.

But this is not about Vanguard (which I have played since beta, and stiil do), this is about Pantheon. Brad has made his mistakes, interestingly enough in a interview he said there was a time when his ego was pretty big and he believed anything he touched would simply turn to gold. He has had his lesson.

You are are not a true leader until you have failed. I met Brad this summer and twice over the event got to spend a considerable amount of time discussing gaming, MMOs, current situation and future. Our converation now makes alot more sense now, he had this brewing even then. I also have spend time with other members, one I spent most of the event with.

Brad has confirmed they will be using Unity Engine. I am not its biggest fan but it does make sense, its fully 3d, fully extensible, modern and set to continually be updated. Also reduces initial cost, writting an engine from ground up is a nightmare, ask Dice about their current issues.

It is a kickstarter, risk is there, but also means the big mistake of Vanguard is gone, Brad's deal with MS disolved, and lets face it, EA, UBISOFT, are not the devil I would want to sleep with. So the founding 10 are going to try crowd funding.

I have supported, I am in for $600. I did the numbers and if I play it for as long as I played EQ or Vanguard, it will be cheaper than those games cost me. As I get 1st year free and $1 subscription per year every year after. I also get a second copy, so I get to force a friend to give it a try! If the kickstarter does not get funded I get my money back, no harm done. The real risk is if it gets funded. There are some nice perks I get as well, but right now this is my last hope for a new MMO, Rifts was crap. I just spent the weekend in ESO beta. Vanguard is still my game for the next few years it seems.

I was willing to invest, in what will likely be my last MMO, I am not getting any younger, so I am trying to make it happen.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old January 17, 2014, 07:37 AM
MVP

We're going to have to agree to disagree. The actual tangible results which hundreds of thousands of users experienced was as bad as described. Vanguard was a complete train wreck. That a few of roughly 100 hundred employees of Sigil still want to make with Brad doesn't mean very much to me.

I'm now of the opinion Brad and Smed had no idea what they were doing. They made a 3D Dikumud which included a lot of ideas from very active *mud community development from the years previous. The actual gameplay that became popular in EQ was actually emergent and not what the designers initially intended. In fact, the Devs actively fought against the way the playerbase enjoyed playing it.
Old January 17, 2014, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

Don't mix poor game on release to equal truth about rumors spread about the team either. I have already faced this personally after letting a contractor go, the rumors I heard back about me were hilarious, and competely untrue as any of the 20+ staff we still had after would state.

However to defend Vanguard's launch as anything but hoorid would also be untrue, I was there, I remember and still see much of the under lying issues. they are mainly engine and poor code issues. But underneath is still in my opinion the best MMO but mared by some really poor choices.

We can all live in the past if we choose, I choose not.

I think they can do it, everyone else is of course equally allowed to believe and state otherwise. One of our last true freedoms is to spend our after tax money in anyway we want, I choose to back the game, I am hoping many more will see what I see and back it too.

But if not? that is their choice, and they are welcome to exercise it.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old January 17, 2014, 09:34 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Don't mix poor game on release to equal truth about rumors spread about the team either. I have already faced this personally after letting a contractor go, the rumors I heard back about me were hilarious, and competely untrue as any of the 20+ staff we still had after would state
A lot of it was eventually confirmed by Brad himself in blog rants over the years. Then there were the f13.net interviews. Jeff Butler really did have an affair with a coworker despite continuing to work with his wife Michelle. Toxic. Brad really did have a major substance abuse issue and was MIA for months at a time. The game really had no scripting engine. They really had *one* QA guy. Sigil really did ask its employees to go to the parking lot to be ruthlessly told they were all fired one afternoon.

It was a foregone conclusion Sigil was going bankrupt. The game was a year from completion. It shouldn't have launched. IMO, Brad knowingly sold us a broken product he knew his failing company could not support. Terrible.

It's been years. I'm sure I'm missing a lot. Anyone considering giving their money to Brad should know all this.

Tags
brad , everquest , kickstarter , mcquaid , pantheon