Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2014, 06:26 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Alienware Shows Some Steam Machine Love

Alienware will be releasing their own Steam Machine in late 2014. It is based off of their X51 compact gaming system and looks absolutely incredible.

Read more here: Alienware Shows Some Steam Machine Love | Hardware Canucks

You may not like the Alienware premium but that's one hot looking system.
Old January 9, 2014, 01:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

500 dollars isn't bad for that at all. Dell has actually managed to make a PC smaller than either sony or microsoft. I however will be waiting for the machines that are designed purely to stream.
Old January 9, 2014, 01:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

On thing iv always loved about Alienware was there unique cases from micro towers to these steam machines may have to bite bullet pick one up for the bazillion steam games iv got. And New ones I'd have to buy for Linux.
Old January 10, 2014, 06:46 AM
Allstar

That's great for newcomers to the platform, and preinstalled Steam! wow, kudos to Alienware. But I'll never pass up the satisfaction of building my own system and seeing it come to life.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That is a really nice looking machine, but I do have a question about steam machines.

Is there any point of a steam machine existing?

That may seem like a broad question (please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject if I am missing a key piece of info), but I can't see the point. From what I have read it is a PC, but it runs a custom OS and is basically designed to run steam games (kind of semi-competing with consoles). Why not just buy a normal PC, intall steam, and connect it to a TV? It would probably cost a similar amount (maybe less) and give the added features of a windows based PC (or any other OS of your choosing).
Old January 10, 2014, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Is there any point of a steam machine existing?
The point is to have a platform similar to consoles. Buy it, plug it in, ready to go.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old January 10, 2014, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've actually been waiting for this influx of major companies jumping on board with the Steam Box project. It's an extremely intriguing alternative to buying a console. With the next gen of consoles out, I've decided that a Steam Box is going to be the way I go. All I'm waiting to see now is the complete multimedia suite that they're working on, as well as final details on gaming performance for the devices. If I can replace a console, media tank and gaming computer with one small device that fits in my home theater setup, then I'm happy. (I don't PC game much anymore, so generally good gaming performace @ 1080p is all I care about these days.)

I'd REALLY like to see some of the focus put on multimedia for these boxes. If the device offers all the major media apps, as well as local network media playback, then releasing a Steam Box with a dedicated remote for multimedia would be absolutely awesome. Perhaps even an XBMC distro built in to it?
Old January 10, 2014, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
The point is to have a platform similar to consoles. Buy it, plug it in, ready to go.
But here lies the issue.

1) Its a new OS that people simply aren't familiar with. End user or techncians
2) Its not Windows and that is going to scare a lot of people

I think while SteamOS is a good in a whole.. in the grand scheme of things it won't be that great.
Old January 10, 2014, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
But here lies the issue.

1) Its a new OS that people simply aren't familiar with. End user or techncians
2) Its not Windows and that is going to scare a lot of people

I think while SteamOS is a good in a whole.. in the grand scheme of things it won't be that great.
You're looking at it from an advanced user perspective. If you actually remove yourself from that and address this as a general end user, I think you'd have a much different view. Although it all comes down to the execution of the OS.

The Steam OS is not designed to be used as a PC replacement, or even as a competitor to HTPC's really. It's much more of a competitor to console gaming that allows you to use your Steam library rather than purchasing new console games. (Eliminating the concerns of backwards compatibility) Provided that the end user experience feels more like a simple console UI rather than an advanced PC UI, I don't thnk people will be bothered by it at all.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

From what I've read a lot of Steam Machines are going to dual boot Windows and Steam OS, which is just Linux