Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 18, 2013, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since the steam overlay auto run trick doesnt seem to work with standalone, i had to get creative...

Old December 19, 2013, 06:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
Does SOD have keyboard and mouse yet?
Yes - works flawlessly. I ditched my controller a month or so back and play with mouse/kb only now
Old January 6, 2014, 12:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been playing DayZ for about a week now. I played the original mod only a handful of times. Never with a group and it was much more difficult. This is super fun and even more fun with a group. I can't wait for this game to be finished.
Old January 8, 2014, 11:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So if I can only get one would you guys recommend Dayz or State Of Decay?

Thanks guys :)

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old January 8, 2014, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't played it but State of Decay looks like a Fisher Price DayZ. The big thing is SoD is single player so there is no PvP. A lot of what makes DayZ what it is is the player interactions. DayZ will get your heart and adrenaline pumping like no other game you've played. When you're geared up and you see another player around you a great sense of urgency comes over you. You won't get a feeling like this in any other game - it sounds cheesy but really I have yet to come across a game that gives the same feeling as to when you first get into DayZ and get int your first gun fight or even interaction with another player.

Biggest problem with DayZ right now though (and always has been since the mod) is that most people just kill on sight as they don't want to take the risk of being friendly and you shooting them in the back and taking all your shit. That and the zombies are extremely lacking in numbers right now and the zombie AI is shit although it has actually improved from the mod. Both of those issues will eventually be worked on through the alpha. I really hope they improve zombie AI because otherwise it will just turn into the mod which is basically a PvP deathmatch with loot and zombies as an after thought. The standalone is already miles ahead of the mod though. From what I've seen of State of Decay it just looks like its no fun.

Another good option would be Rust Rust on Steam. Similar to DayZ and created by the maker of Garry's Mod.
Old January 8, 2014, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would recommend DayZ but it needs more bug fixes. It really sucks to play for 6 hours only to join a different server and spawn back on the beach with nothing. Even if you go back to the old server you still have nothing. :(

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 8, 2014, 07:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I would recommend DayZ but it needs more bug fixes. It really sucks to play for 6 hours only to join a different server and spawn back on the beach with nothing. Even if you go back to the old server you still have nothing. :(
That happened to me. You just have to try a couple different servers and your gear is back to normal. ;)
Old January 8, 2014, 09:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
So if I can only get one would you guys recommend Dayz or State Of Decay?

Thanks guys :)
Keeping in mind that I haven't played the new DayZ, just the Arma mod version of it, here are my thoughts on the two:

Dayz seems like it'd be fantastic if you have a group of people to play with. My experience with the mod version consisted of me scavenging around to find supplies while fighting off the odd random zombie. It seemed that every time I started to amass a decent amount of gear I'd get killed by either a random survivor, or my game would glitch and I'd die from falling off a curb or similar.

I get the appeal, but I just found it way too glitchy (and it sounds like the new alpha release is similarly glitchy), plus playing it solo was utterly boring (to me at least)

State of Decay is single player only, so no chance of getting killed by random human players. Graphically it certainly doesn't match up to Dayz, but then I've never been a graphics whore - if the gameplay is good I can overlook graphics that aren't high end. That being said, it's not an ugly game, and I'm sure once more people get involved in the modding scene that we'll start to see the appearance of high res textures.

I've probably spent more time playing SoD than any other game this year (except maybe D3, but since SoD (and particularly the Breakdown dlc) was released I really have no urge to play D3.

If you have a 360 you can download a free trial which I think gives 20-30 mins of gameplay. Graphics are far better in the pc version, but it'd at least give you an idea of the gameplay to see if it's something you enjoy.

TLDR version:

DayZ for multiplayer
SoD for single player (can be had on steam sales for $10)

Here's a pretty solid review of SoD (note that this is 360 version so graphics are pretty garbage compared to pc version)

State Of Decay In-Depth Gameplay Review | The Perfect Zombie Simulation Masterpiece! | 9.5/10 (HD) - YouTube
Old January 8, 2014, 11:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Keeping in mind that I haven't played the new DayZ, just the Arma mod version of it, here are my thoughts on the two:

Dayz seems like it'd be fantastic if you have a group of people to play with. My experience with the mod version consisted of me scavenging around to find supplies while fighting off the odd random zombie. It seemed that every time I started to amass a decent amount of gear I'd get killed by either a random survivor, or my game would glitch and I'd die from falling off a curb or similar.

I get the appeal, but I just found it way too glitchy (and it sounds like the new alpha release is similarly glitchy), plus playing it solo was utterly boring (to me at least)

State of Decay is single player only, so no chance of getting killed by random human players. Graphically it certainly doesn't match up to Dayz, but then I've never been a graphics whore - if the gameplay is good I can overlook graphics that aren't high end. That being said, it's not an ugly game, and I'm sure once more people get involved in the modding scene that we'll start to see the appearance of high res textures.

I've probably spent more time playing SoD than any other game this year (except maybe D3, but since SoD (and particularly the Breakdown dlc) was released I really have no urge to play D3.

If you have a 360 you can download a free trial which I think gives 20-30 mins of gameplay. Graphics are far better in the pc version, but it'd at least give you an idea of the gameplay to see if it's something you enjoy.

TLDR version:

DayZ for multiplayer
SoD for single player (can be had on steam sales for $10)

Here's a pretty solid review of SoD (note that this is 360 version so graphics are pretty garbage compared to pc version)

State Of Decay In-Depth Gameplay Review | The Perfect Zombie Simulation Masterpiece! | 9.5/10 (HD) - YouTube
DayZ SA doesn't have nearly the same type of eye rolling glitches that the mod had.

As you said, glitching off a curb in the mod would kill you. That doesn't happen in the SA. You may fall off a 10 foot ledge once in SA, but you will never do it again. It's not the glitch that gets you, its the learning curve of the movement system.