Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2013, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

Default Question about the mechanics of CRPGs

Does anyone know if there is a CRPG system that works on a dice pool system? I'm thinking in particular of the old PEG Deadlands system or pre 4'th ed Shadowrun/old Earthdawn. I've always like the mechanic of dice pools in theory, but practice often makes them cumbersome unless your a regular player.
Old December 9, 2013, 09:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey Mate, hard to say. Most games I know of hide a lot of the game logic from the player. Most MMORPGs such as WoW show hit numbers, but do little to show how they were achieved without UI addons. I think if I understand correctly a dice pool is more or less a Success based statistic as oppose to an actual numeric result. ie. you killed the Monster vs. you hit the monster for 80 damage.

Shadowrun does have a new game on Steam "Shadowrun Returns". I don't know the exact mechanics however.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Someone with a better memory may be able to tell you more on this, but back in the day in Baldur's Gate 1, on 2nd edition D&D rules, the manual more or less gave you a shake down on how attack rolls were calculated, THAC0, saving throws etc.

In game, I believe you could enable the rolls to show up in the GUI text box to see what your guys were rolling whenever a roll was required. It was more streamlined in the sequels, but the concept stayed the same.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

I am not sure I understand the question. A lot of the CRPG are or were dice driven. All the D&D game are based on the table top rules. Balders Gate was based off second edition rules. Star Wars KOTOR 1-2 used a D20 dice system basically same as Neverwinter Nights (D&D third Ed rules)(system of game developed before)

Shadowrun Returns uses a mix of 2nd and 3rd edition rules IIRC. I backed the game and to be honest I could not tell you what the difference between rule sets are. A lot of people say it does have the feel of PnP game. So that might be up your alley.
Old December 9, 2013, 12:55 PM
Top Prospect

A dice pool is a way to normalize results, using a pool of dice of the same kind (ie d4, d6, d8 etc.) that is rolled simultaneously, usually with the highest numerical value being counted (if you roll 3d6 and get a 2, 6, 5, the 6 is the one that matters) vs the tn of a task (hacking a computer, hitting an opponent, could be 2 or 22) the old FASA system was based around pools of six sided dice and PEG inc offered a modified system with most dice types. The CRPG D&D games have been based around 2'nd and 3/3.5 ed rules and use a single d20 for most skill checks, lacking normalization aside from the normalization of random number generators.

*Snipped out some whining about how I can't find info on SR*

I'll give Shadowrun Returns a run through and see what I can figure out.