Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2013, 04:39 AM
Top Prospect

Default What are the good RPG game now?

I am getting a bit tired of all the FPS etc etc so I am thinking of picking up a RPG - but as I have been out of the gaming a long time then I was wondering if anyone could send me in the right direction.

What RPG games are good? With a good story etc? A game that will keep you playing...?
Old December 7, 2013, 04:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quite a few some mixed PvP or just pure grind games. Obvious ones are WoW. Or guild wars 2 if you like PvP. Iv gotten into neverwinter nights. Or elder scrolls online when it finally drops. All depends on your taste.
Old December 7, 2013, 06:52 AM
Top Prospect

I would like to have a game like final fantasy or something like that - maybe some turn based games etc. I would like to stay away from WoW and guild wars.
Old December 7, 2013, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Witcher series
Old December 7, 2013, 09:19 AM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
The Witcher series
Can't argue with that, great games, quite good story too.
Old December 7, 2013, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
The Witcher series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Can't argue with that, great games, quite good story too.
I also agree, plus you got the third one coming out in 2014 and it looks to be amazing.

Old December 7, 2013, 10:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Witcher serie, BG:EE 1 & 2, Dragon Age : Origins
Old December 7, 2013, 12:56 PM
MVP
F@H

PS 3 - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, is a free download with a Playstation 3 Plus membership.

A lot of old games still available on Good Old Games (run by the creators of Witcher, CD Projekt)

GOG.com

If you like Sci-Fi, you could get the full Mass Effect Trilogy (EA) Not sure if that includes any/much DLC, since it is an EA game now.

Last edited by LaughingCrow; December 7, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old December 7, 2013, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What kind of RPG are you looking for? JRPG or WRPG? Do you want a turn based battle system or real-time? Can the game be an action/adventure RPG (presumably with an emphasis on the RPG aspect)?

Here's some of the ones I enjoyed;

- The Witcher; As mentioned by others, it's a rich series with a great storyline and is rightly considered one of the best in recent years. W1 hasen't aged as well. It's still a good game, but if you're not as certain if you'll like it, it's almost worth trying TW2 first. The story of TW1 doesn't really affect number 2, so you won't lose much by skipping the first (though I enjoy both)
- Dragon Age: Origins & Awakening; Closest thing to a Baldur's Gate you'll find in a AAA title. Rich story and lore, decent combat, party-based. It's been consolified/simplified compared to the Infinity engine games, but is still a standalone good game. The magic system is a little simple, but overall it's still a great game.
- Skyrim; Obvious choice if you're looking for 'the' open world RPG of the current gen. Some PC purists give it a bad rap as it's simplified compared to Morrowind, and the combat hasn't drastically improved since Oblivion, but I really enjoyed it, and like all TES series games, it's got a great modding community.
- Alpha Protocol: Billed as the 'espionage RPG', it got fairly mediocre reviews. I'd call it an attempt to have a bioware decision/conversation system mixed with Metal Gear Solid. I personally was surprised how much I enjoyed it, but largley because I got it for $2.79 on Steam. It's worth looking into though.
- Mass Effect Series: ME is a shooter RPG with a heavy emphasis on dialog, conversation and plot. Honestly it's my favorite series of the last gen. The first game is a little clumsier combat and interface wise compared to the sequels, but I'd recommend starting with #1 so you can appreciate the plot more. I really enjoy the fact that you can bring 'your' Shepard across all three games if you want to.
- Fallout 3 and Fallout NV: Use essentially the same approach as the Elder Scrolls series but in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. They're significantly different than the original Interplay titles, but both are highly regarded (if notorious for bugs, much like the originals). I really enjoyed them, particularly NV. Once again there's a large modding community to help you make the games more as 'you' want them.
- Deus Ex Human Revolution; Not really an RPG in the traditional sense, but more of an Action-RPG/ Action-Adventure with an emphasis on plot, multiple paths to objectives with weapon and upgrade enhancement to increase the 'RPG-ness'. I enjoyed it as well, and even though it's not 'really' an RPG, I'd highly recommend checking it out.
- Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines; Made by a number of former Interplay members, it's a first person RPG based on a pen and paper Vampire RPG. If you get it, make sure to get the unofficial patches as it was buggy as hell. I'm not a big vampire fan, but I enjoyed it.
- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I+II: A little old now, but solid Bioware games. I'm not really a Star Wars fan, so I was surprised how much I enjoy them.
-Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning: Halfway between an Action RPG and an Elder scrolls game. Combat is quick and fun, but I found the game a little shallow on plot and mechanics. Might be worth a look at.

Some others I picked up or heard about but haven't tried:
-Arcania/Gothic IV: A european RPG series. I didn't make it past the intro before I decided it wasn't for me, but others who have played it might want to chime in.
- Breath of Death VII, Cthulu Saves the world: Semi-comedic indie RPGS meant to evoke NES/SNES style DQ/FF games. Haven't played them myself.
- Costume Quest: A comedic RPG based on kids using halloween costumes to transform. It's by the same company that did Psychonauts.
- Divinity II: Developer's Cut: A European RPG sequel to the earlier diablo-esque Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. Plays as a 3rd person action RPG with some combat as you turn into a dragon. Mixed reviews, but the Developer's cut addresses a lot of the negatives it originally received. I thought it was decent, not spectacular, but decent.
- Drakensang: A european lower budget RPG that's supposed to be more like the PnP Dungeons and Dragons games. Got mixed reviews, but I haven't played them.
- Penny Arcade: On the Rain-slick precipe of Darkness 1-4: Each game is a little different than the others, comedic RPGs with 3 and 4 playing more like SNES final fantasies. Haven't tried them.
- Risen/ Risen 2: 3rd person Action-RPGs. Run of the mill.
- Two World I+II: Another one I haven't gotten to yet. Got pretty ho-hum reviews.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head thats this generation or last. If you're looking for older games that are worth a try that you may have missed I can think of a few;
- Quest for Glory series (adventure-rpg)
- Septerra Core, Anachronax (JRPG PC games that most people missed (myself included))
- Fallout 1+2 (Isometric Turn based RPGS)
- Baldur's Gate (I'm assuming you've played them, if not they're highly recommended. Get mods or the Enhanced Editions)
- Icewind Dale 1-2 (Infinity engine games much like Baldur's Gate)
- Planescape Torment (IE game that's very highly regarded in the PC community)

I think The Witcher and Mass Effect are the ones to go with if you haven't tried them yet. I loved the ME series more than anything I had played in the past. The Witcher might take over that when #3 comes out which looks spectacular.
Old December 7, 2013, 01:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Waiting for Wasteland 2!!!