Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2014, 09:18 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Divinity: Original Sin

Divinity: Original Sin. Crowdfunded and released recently. Available at GOG. It's been described as old school RPG, modernized. It's been getting a lot of good reviews. You play 2 characters and can have 2 NPCs join.

Along the lines of Baldur's Gate (i.e. isometric), except it has turned based combat, with puzzles. More difficult than Baldur's Gate in that you have to figure out things on your own and it's easy to miss some clues as to how or what order to proceed, since it's not linear like Baldur's Gate and there's no hand-holding. i.e. if the story line tells you to go visit so and so, usually you should go there and try not to get distracted. And it's easy to get distracted Not a game to play in a hurry.

There's a quick start guide with suggestions here: ?Tips For Playing Divinity: Original Sin

(Also doing the Destiny Beta.)
Old July 24, 2014, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Watch_Dogs modded with the Worsemod with Maldo textures. Have just got into it so I can't comment on the game play yet except to say that tripping lights and hacking accounts hasn't got old yet. Though I do wish there was a little more risk involved. It seems too easy. But I'll have to reserve judgment until I'm into it a bit more.

Pics
Old July 25, 2014, 01:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Still can't get enough of BFBC2:

Old July 29, 2014, 10:38 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

No screenshots handy, but I picked up the new Tomb Raider game (somewhat hesitantly, having never really liked any of the previous ones), and I've been very impressed. It's a really engaging, kick-ass game. Well worth it, on the Steam sale.
Old July 29, 2014, 01:44 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Watch_Dogs modded with the Worsemod with Maldo textures. Have just got into it so I can't comment on the game play yet except to say that tripping lights and hacking accounts hasn't got old yet. Though I do wish there was a little more risk involved. It seems too easy. But I'll have to reserve judgment until I'm into it a bit more.

Pics
Watch Dogs comparison video: TheWorse Mod 1.0 vs. standard at 1440p | PC Gamer
Maybe it's just me but I like the look of the stock version. Similar to the Realistic Lighting Overhaul for Skyrim, I find the Worse mod makes areas too dark for me to enjoy as a game, even if it's supposed to be more like real life.
Old July 29, 2014, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I actually prefer it modded. But the DOF does get a little crazy at times. I do believe there is a way to reduce the effect if not turn it off altogether. As for darkness, it's realistic. What can I say. Except that you can chose to stay in better lit areas at night.
Old July 30, 2014, 08:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistpavel View Post
Still can't get enough of BFBC2:
Is there still lots of people playing that game?
Old August 1, 2014, 07:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Probably going to splurge on the beta access for Elite: Dangerous (assuming there are still keys available)

Elite is my favourite game ever, and everything I've seen looks amazing.

Vid of a solar flare from in-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGupxOG853I
Looks almost exactly like NASA footage of a solar flare
Old August 1, 2014, 07:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Probably going to splurge on the beta access for Elite: Dangerous (assuming there are still keys available)

Elite is my favourite game ever, and everything I've seen looks amazing.

Vid of a solar flare from in-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGupxOG853I
Looks almost exactly like NASA footage of a solar flare
How's the Dev coming with this? Is there a single player option or is it strictly online multiplayer? (DIII will probably be the last always online game I purchase).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 1, 2014, 07:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
How's the Dev coming with this? Is there a single player option or is it strictly online multiplayer? (DIII will probably be the last always online game I purchase).
From what I've read, yes there is a single player option. Still get the full experience, and in-game economies are still influenced by the multiplayer world, you just don't have to deal with other players griefing and shooting you out of the sky.

All NPC's etc are still there, same as in multiplayer