Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2013, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default A question about the big company gaming servers

when I go for my runs I usually distract my self a little so that the run goes easier. well today a thought came to me about the big company gaming servers like WoW and BF4 . what is the CPU speed they use and how does that affect the average gamer out. for instance if a gamer has the mid to high lever system so OCed to over 4Ghz but the gaming server is at 3 Ghz isn't the server in a way bottle necking the gamers PC and if this the case isn't buying these mid to top of the line equipment kind of a waste of money?
Old November 23, 2013, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't now how you see the server being a bottle neck to your game? it's only job is to make connections to the players. not to improve GFX or game play.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not saying it is bottle necking but to me it seems that it would .
I guess I should try an figure out how a gaming server works I know it is used to store info and to connect all other players to each other so going by that doesn't the speed of the server really matter ? if the gaming sever is running a 2.6Ghz and a persons home PC is running over 4ghz and anmother persons PC is running at 3 ghz how does that make a difference in the online game I would think that the sever has allot to do with it I do know that say if one persons PC is very slow and is playing along side someone else that LAg happens.
Hmm I need to figure out where to get this info. I am not sure as to whiuch questions to ask to get the information lol./
Old November 23, 2013, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

What you're saying makes zero sense. You are relating two completely separate things.

Also, it depends on what game you're connecting to. Servers have different jobs for different games.
Old November 23, 2013, 04:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not very knowledgeable regarding servers, but I would suspect they're not really comparable. Even if they're both measured in clock speeds, architecture, function and design would be notably different.

I liken it to a car engine versus an airplane (propeller) engine. Both are combustion and piston engines, and both can be measured in HP, but the way a plane engine uses horsepower and how much it needs versus how a car engine uses it and how much it needs are significantly different. Not to mention all the other parts (rudders and flaps versus brakes and steering) that are crucial parts of the whole change the rest of the system. That might be true with servers as well (say how a server chipset functions, but I know absolutely nothing about server boards so I may be way off on that one).
Old November 23, 2013, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

TLDR: No. it doesnt work that way.

You're asking about the difference in 'back end' performance of a computer. Without getting in depth of an OS's inner workings (windows in this case) the priorities assigned by your OS have very little to do with clock speed in this case. Drivers can affect what you are talking about, sure, but 99/100 times 'lag' is caused by back end networking issues not within your control. Some router between you and your end destination is either being hammered with requests from you (similar to DDoS really) and others, or having electronic issues, etc.

I'd suggest you do some basic research into networking protocol. Latency most of the time has nothing to do with anything after your modem in your house, and nothing to do with the server before their internet provider. It is almost always in between.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 23, 2013, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm ok so a server could be say a 1 or 2 ghz server and it would make no difference at all to the performance of an online game? that doesn't make sense to me . I do understand that the game is installed on the PC and of course the distance and number of jumps or wehat ever it is called but when I used to play ET, and the like online games I had to always change my aiming ( hit box) on every server even with the same ping times and at that time my internet was solid and my system was mid to hi end ( way back ) . even on lower end PC it would be always different with the same exact players playing ( our clan always had scrims with other clans)
Old November 23, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
hmm ok so a server could be say a 1 or 2 ghz server and it would make no difference at all to the performance of an online game? that doesn't make sense to me . I do understand that the game is installed on the PC and of course the distance and number of jumps or wehat ever it is called but when I used to play ET, and the like online games I had to always change my aiming ( hit box) on every server even with the same ping times and at that time my internet was solid and my system was mid to hi end ( way back ) . even on lower end PC it would be always different with the same exact players playing ( our clan always had scrims with other clans)
The server is NOT running the game. The server is hosting a server to allow people to CONNECT to the game.

The only reason a server will have issues HOSTING is lack of ram generally.

Take Minecraft for example. You could run the server on a very old machine but without enough ram it will just die.

Don't try and overthink this is the sense of gaming on the server it doesn't work that way.
Old November 23, 2013, 05:43 PM
Top Prospect

Player paths are a combination of updates and predictions

They collect the player's current position and direction of travel, then will predicate the players path until the next update and will correct it after the update

That's why you will see players jump from one spot to another, or the mysterious headshot through a wall

Lag compensation and hit boxes is a place to start if you want to learn more
Patriot Viper 1833
PCP&C 750W
Win8 64bit
Custom W/C
Old November 24, 2013, 05:47 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

What you are saying is that the slower PC in a Skype conversation is going to slow down the conversation. That is an accurate analogy.