Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2013, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So in reality is that it doesn't really matter that much as to how much CPU speed the gaming server has well I guess that makes total sense
Old November 24, 2013, 12:10 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Bandwidth is what makes a game server. It does not do much processing, mostly it just relays information to clients. Enemy positions, shots and damage, score etc...

Each client only needs about 6-35kbs of streaming info but that starts to add up when you get 30 players on a server.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Frank pretty much summed up a BF4 server so I'll take a crack at WoW. The Realms you join on WoW are two fold. You hit one when you're signing in. It then points you to what amounts to little more than a database server that holds names, stats and locations.

In a nutshell the back end server of WoW is like a pen and paper Role playing game and you're phoning in your moves and dice rolls, no Graphics on there other than to look at the Database. Your actual load on the server is a 1Mhz if that. So the typical Server can support thousands of users per realm and then it breaks it further down into locations like IronForge etc.

AT&T is another story. If all the girls in America are tweeting about Justin Bieber it takes longer for your call to go through to Blizzard, that's lag. AT&T can then reroute your call through a different location and then it clears up the problem. So next time you have lag, blame Justin Beiber.