Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2014, 12:40 PM
Top Prospect

If I would get a console, it'd be the PS4. However the only difference I see between PC and PS4 is the control. For the Xbone, there's the kinect that differentiates them - but I would steer clear strictly because of lower hardware specs.
Old May 5, 2014, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I really don't see any need to buy a console this gen. They are pretty much mid-tier PC's with no potential for doing anything resembling productivity on.
Old May 5, 2014, 09:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I really don't see any need to buy a console this gen. They are pretty much mid-tier PC's with no potential for doing anything resembling productivity on.
My thoughts exactly. Consoles are converging with PC's in terms of hardware as time goes on, and without the exclusive games + online user base, you could pretty much hook a controller up to a PC and get much better performance out of it (potentially).
Old May 6, 2014, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashihtaka View Post
My thoughts exactly. Consoles are converging with PC's in terms of hardware as time goes on, and without the exclusive games + online user base, you could pretty much hook a controller up to a PC and get much better performance out of it (potentially).
I think that the majority of the HWC community has a PC that exceeds the ability of either of these two consoles.

But of the two consoles, which one has more power, and which one is likely to have memorable exclusives that aren't available on the PC?

Last gen it was the PS3, and this gen it's likely to be the PS4 as well.

If my gaming PC was located in my HT/Rec room, I'd probably "never" get an Xbox One again since Undead Labs, like the majority of Xbox "exclusives" also have PC versions. (I could run an HDMI cable over to the Denon AVR-X4000).

Anyhow I work with the gaming guys here at Synnex. And they're very much pro Xbox, whatever weaknesses that I point out, it doesn't really matter to them, and I can always respect that too!
Old May 6, 2014, 01:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That's because the Xbox offers a more complete experience IMHO, if you simply want to game, then PS4 is great for that, and nothing more really at this time. But as you said, most of us here have PCs that destroy both consoles, so if all you want to do is game, then the PC we have will more than handle that.
Old May 6, 2014, 05:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally, I have both consoles (as stated before) and I'd go out on a limb and say I've played my XB1 more than the PS4.

On PS4 I have Killzone and Infamous. People told me how good Infamous was on PS3 (which I never had), but I don't really find it anything spectacular. I know it may seem odd, but I'm kind of against open-world games with no defined objectives. It feels like a lot of the time I'm just running around the city running into the AI that kills me on sight. I don't have any sense of accomplishment or drive to keep playing. Killzone wasn't too bad and I made it through the entire campaign. Mostly linear gameplay and thus quicker progression of the story.

On XB1, I have Forza, Dead Rising and Ryse. While Dead Rising is also an open-world game, it felt like you had better defined objectives and smashing zombies in-between missions was always fun. The chances of them overrunning you were still fairly high, but for the most part, mowing down 100s of zombies always brings a smile. Forza isn't anything special, but I feel the controller revisions have been put to good use. Having vibration feedback on the triggers makes you much more aware of the vehicle when racing. Ryse, I've only played some multiplayer with a friend. Graphically it looks amazing, but gameplay is sorely lacking. Didn't expect much from Crytek though, seems to be their trend.

All and all though, XB1 feels like a far more finished and comprehensive product. Being able to watch TV (or any HDMI source) while gaming is pretty neat too. Gives me something to look at while games load and such. The major thing I've noticed is the XB1 does system updates far more seamlessly and with visible progress bars. The PS4 has never auto-updated by itself while in standby and typically requires me to force shutdown/reboot the console and re-download the patch. Then when it's installing, it looks as though the console is bricked. It's gotten a bit better in recent updates, but still not perfect.

And I definitely prefer the XB1 controller to the PS4 controller. The layout and trigger feedback feel so much better in my hands. And it's also a huge downfall that the PS4 controller batteries are not replaceable. Say what you want about AA batteries, but at least I can easily swap them out while gaming should the controller die. PS4 results in either a long micro USB cable, or simply not playing.

At the end of the day, both console launches were poorly executed. A lot of software bugs and a lack of any stellar games really makes it hard to justify buying either. Even to this day, roughly 6 months later, there's still a lack of games IMO.
Old May 6, 2014, 07:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Spot on commentary there JD, that's how I feel as well having owned both consoles since the launch. Many of the same +/- on both accounts, and I'm totally with you on the replaceable batteries on the Xbox One controller. something I've always preferred about Xbox, simple use of AA batteries, and since I have a ton of Eneloops, it makes downtime mere seconds. With regards to KillZone, I found it lacked any sort of substance, and couldn't get into the game, played 2 hours since launch and it's been sitting there ever since, I should have traded it. Ryse on the other hand, I found the single player campaign to be loads of fun, yes, it's simple hack and slash, but the combos and finishing moves made it fun, plus the story was well presented.
Old May 6, 2014, 08:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Ryse on the other hand, I found the single player campaign to be loads of fun, yes, it's simple hack and slash, but the combos and finishing moves made it fun, plus the story was well presented.
Hmm, well I'll have to give Ryse single player a shot one day then and see. Dead Rising was loads of fun doing co-op, we were expecting the same out of Ryse but were totally disappointed.

I should also note that both consoles I play an hour here and there. It's not something I sit down and game on for 3hr+ like my PC. I basically finished Killzone a few weeks prior to Infamous launching...
Old May 7, 2014, 04:32 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, it has been 6 months already? I still haven't bought a game for my wife's ps4. I've been waiting for GTA Online and her for a decent sing-star type game.
Old May 18, 2014, 07:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I personally don't think the next gen consoles are really going to come into their own until the last gen PS3 and 360 get discontinued in 2016.

As long as there's that old player base to still hit all you're going to get is basically HD Textures and perhaps a bit of draw distance.