Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2013, 03:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Honestly if your racing and using a gamepad your doing it wrong and in the past the PS3 has had better support for 3rd party wheels.

As for the "full package" it really surprised me that not only was mp3 left out at launch but also DLNA support, just as that stuff seems so basic. But what really surprises me is people complaining about a gaming console not doing not gaming stuff, my TV does most of that stuff already so I sort of miss the point.of doubling up on it. Quick question though, from my perspective as a PC gamer it seemed to me like Sony had the better game line up in the previous gen.

As for these subscriptions for being able to play your games online, they will always blow my mind as a PC gamer, as draconian as some of the attempts at DRM on our games have been if Steam/Valve/EA had attempted that.....
I'm not investing in $300 racing wheels though, although they are awesome, too expensive, and hard to store, so I'm not a fan of them, prefer a really good gamepad, which the Xbox One has.

And I don't have a smart TV that does all those extra things, which is why I like the idea of the Xbox One taking care of all my multimedia needs in one place...

What about games like WoW where you pay a pretty high monthly fee? I have no problem paying for XBL and it's really not that difficult to find it on sale for $35-$40 and stack up on a few cards, which I usually do. I've never paid the full $60 or whatever it is...
Old December 9, 2013, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't believe in consoles, frankly being, all my life I gamed on PC, since 1998, with keyboard and mouse, also no steering wheels/pedals combo either, despite being quite the fan of the NFS series. A long time ago I went to an arcade and played NFS III HP (1998) on a PS2 and gave up after an hour, the controller was really not my style. We had a few years ago a PS3, wife wanted it for Guitar hero, but after discovering that she could play it even better on PC, we sold it. I think we only watched a single bluray on it, at the moment my main rig had that combo unit from LG that could play Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs with Power DVD 7.3 I think it was. Now, as you can see, my sig rig has a 7850 which is basically twice as powerful as the PS4 GPU, and wife's rig has a 5770HD but she is only playing flash games now.
Old May 1, 2014, 01:41 PM
Allstar

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Reward...Id=prod2094345
at my rate of miles collection it's going to be a year before I get close to buying it, but seeing Driveclub videos and images lately are tempting.
Old May 1, 2014, 04:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

For the record wheels dont have to cost 300, I picked up my Logitech DFGT for about 100 and it can be found for less if you look hard. There really isnt a way to compare a half decent wheel to a keyboard or controller, not even in the same league.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:21 PM
Top Prospect

I think aside from the HDMI pass through thing for whatever useless (to me) cable box integration is the only thing that the Xbox One has over the PS4. The hardware inside each console will not change from a raw performance perspective. The OS, Software, and non static features can both change.

Which machine is likely to improve more? The one that struggles to hit 60fps @ 792p with the Source engine? Or the one that does this at 1080p in its sleep? https://www.google.ca/search?q=infam...=1920&bih=1115

Also the other annoying thing, besides Halo (garbage), the vast majority of Xbox Exclusives are time limited, or available on PC (which I imagine the majority of the HWC audience has). PS exclusives... are pretty much PS exclusives.

Being the owner of both consoles. Sure I am mostly paying Diablo 3 ROS on my PC right now, but when I play a console game. It's generally the PS4 over the Xbox One.
Old May 2, 2014, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao View Post
I think aside from the HDMI pass through thing for whatever useless (to me) cable box integration is the only thing that the Xbox One has over the PS4. The hardware inside each console will not change from a raw performance perspective. The OS, Software, and non static features can both change.

Which machine is likely to improve more? The one that struggles to hit 60fps @ 792p with the Source engine? Or the one that does this at 1080p in its sleep? https://www.google.ca/search?q=infam...=1920&bih=1115

Also the other annoying thing, besides Halo (garbage), the vast majority of Xbox Exclusives are time limited, or available on PC (which I imagine the majority of the HWC audience has). PS exclusives... are pretty much PS exclusives.

Being the owner of both consoles. Sure I am mostly paying Diablo 3 ROS on my PC right now, but when I play a console game. It's generally the PS4 over the Xbox One.
See that will be kind of interesting. I've heard a lot of talk about how Sony isn't a software company and how microsoft is behind on their development due to some of the changes they had to make with the always online withdrawal. I do expect MS to be able to hit 1080p with games in the future but I do think that the ps4 will always have a performance advantage due to not being stupid not using a Frankenstein system of 3 OSes where they weren't needed.

It will also be interesting to see if Microsoft keeps up with its exclusivity meaning both PC and XBone. And it will be interesting to see how games sell on each platform if they do. i'd love to see xbone vs pc salves of titanfall for example. I'd love for Sony to bring their titles to the PC sometime but we can only dream about that really.

I don't own either console right now, I have a desktop and am building a HTPC for Steam streaming so I don't see the need. Neither has any games out right now or infact coming out that aren't on the PC and I have interest in. My only hope is that developers start ditching the previous gen sooner, its holding the current gen and PC back.
Old May 3, 2014, 01:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Clearly you're not good at killer instinct jk :P It's interesting though that Sony upped the PS4 price to 450$ yet Xbox One hasn't moved at all. And I'm going to say it right now.

I rather have a Wii U+ PC setup then those two consoles. Why? Because even though the Wii U is under powered it's the only console that's not just a PC under the hood and provide an original way to play games I mean you literally have 6 ways to play the Wii U now.... Gamepad, Pro Controller, Wiimote, Wiimote+Nun chucks, Classic Controller, Balance Board. Yes there's not much in 3rd party support but I never get tired of buying what essentially is the same thing. Zelda, Smash and Mario Kart, they're like drugs. I'm guessing it's because I rather play a goofy/gather around game like Smash or Mario Kart instead of trying to be realistic and isolated like the majority of AAA games are.

Nintendo is always the king of the local play, no question. If I have friends over then we'll play together. It's a sense of nostalgia of my early childhood.

Sorry for the thread jacking, just tired of seeing the Xbox vs Playstation debate.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

As an owner of both the PS4 and Xbox One, I can honestly say that I clearly prefer the Xbox One over the PS4. Raw power isn't enough to sway me to the PS4 since I also have a PC that can play any title at 1440p right now. The Xbox One feels more next gen than the PS4 because it's UI is far more modern looking and intuitive IMHO. The PS4's UI feels like a simplified version of PS3's XMB, and not in a good way. Although developers haven't been able to harness the power of the Xbox One yet, games still look fantastic, games like Forza and Ryse are stellar looking and also a lot of fun to play. The only remarkable title on PS4 to this date is inFamous, everything else has been extremely bland from an exclusive standpoint. If I had to pick only one console so far, it's clear to me that I would pick the Xbox One, but since I have both, I can enjoy all the exclusives that will come out throughout the lifecycle's of these consoles.
Old May 3, 2014, 01:46 PM
Rookie

I got a ps4 as well, it is definitely the console to get of this gen, altho i hate the stick, and good games are yet to come out
Old May 5, 2014, 07:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
As an owner of both the PS4 and Xbox One, I can honestly say that I clearly prefer the Xbox One over the PS4. Raw power isn't enough to sway me to the PS4 since I also have a PC that can play any title at 1440p right now. The Xbox One feels more next gen than the PS4 because it's UI is far more modern looking and intuitive IMHO. The PS4's UI feels like a simplified version of PS3's XMB, and not in a good way. Although developers haven't been able to harness the power of the Xbox One yet, games still look fantastic, games like Forza and Ryse are stellar looking and also a lot of fun to play. The only remarkable title on PS4 to this date is inFamous, everything else has been extremely bland from an exclusive standpoint. If I had to pick only one console so far, it's clear to me that I would pick the Xbox One, but since I have both, I can enjoy all the exclusives that will come out throughout the lifecycle's of these consoles.
I had this long winded response but honestly, it's ok to have both and to have preferences. And I probably have a flawed stance as I see software (the OS/UI) as something that can change. Plus with my PC gaming background bias (which seems silly) then I just look at the raw hardware, and look at every opportunity to compare the two. And in year one, the PS4 versions are considerably better than the Xbox One.

Granted last gen everyone was all like, just wait, the PS3 will eventually be figured out and the games will improve (and the exclusive titles clearly did evolve, but multiplatform games that matter to me, aka COD were always worse on the PS3). However it was based the general consensus that while the PS3 hardware was a pain in the ass to figure out, it was considered to be more powerful. This time around, no one's claiming that the Xbox One is a beast waiting to be unleashed.

Of course none of that matters if you simply don't care, or that the Xbox exclusives and your friends list rolls in Xbox's favour for you personally. Which is perfectly fine by me :)

I am just somewhat bitter as my preference has always been with the Xbox side, but the inferior hardware wall is a tough one. Then the sub 800P and sub 60fps experience with Titanfall, as well as the blurry rendition of COD Ghosts at 720P with blurry textures really put me off!

So when the Xbox One drops in price and drops the useless Kinect, and Undead Labs releases State of Decay and the follow up... I'll buy the system again.