Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2013, 12:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Is it just me or are the new consoles disapointing?

I know they aren't out yet so this may be premature but I'm yet to be impressed by either console at all at this point

Recently I read that the Xbone is running COD at 720p and while the PS4 CAN do 1080p the guys over at CIG just released a trailer for Star Citizen running NATIVELY at 4k.

There are NO launch titles really from what I can tell. The Xbox gets Forza, the PS4 gets Infamous and they both get a bunch of sports games (Please Note EA, I still am mad at you for Fifa14 PC being Fifa13 rebranded). I've yet to see anything compelling coming out of these new consoles, naybe Titanfall which is coming to the PC (Developers of that, I feel bad for you that you got screwed by EA so early), am I missing something here?

The new xbox controller does feel nice, used it for a quick lap at the Microsoft store but I must be missing something, 90% of the games that are being released for the consoles are already out in some form

Is it all just talk or am I truly missing something here? AAnd while you answer I'm just going to go over here and watch spaceships blowing up and carrying ice cream Star Citizen: Official Anvil Aerospace Hornet Commercial - YouTube
Old November 13, 2013, 04:19 AM
Top Prospect

Game-wise it's still early for new games made specifically for Xbox One. The picking isn't there yet. I watched the demo of the Xbox One, as a entertainment centre it's pretty amazing. The voice command looks accurate and responsive. Switching from game to tv to internet to whatever is fast and responsive and the game is paused right where you left it which you can pick up again instantly. The Skype feature alone with automatic people tracking and wide angle is enough to make me want to buy it, compare with the current webcams' narrow vision.
Old November 13, 2013, 04:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Recently I read that the Xbone is running COD at 720p and while the PS4 CAN do 1080p the guys over at CIG just released a trailer for Star Citizen running NATIVELY at 4k.
The Xbox one comes with a 4kk rated HDMI. I suppose it's not the lack of hardware support but software. As time move forward I'm sure we can expect more titles to support higher resolutions.
Old November 13, 2013, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Consoles ran their course AGES ago.

The only reason to buy a console these days are for games that you simply cannot get anywhere else. The problem is like myself I don't feel like forking out $400 to play a single game so I stick with PC gaming where I can pay $30-60 a game and be much happier.
Old November 13, 2013, 05:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I won't be getting a PS4 or One this time around. Most of the games will come out on PC anyway, and neither system is worth the half-dozen exclusives each will get that will turn out to be 'really' good. I bought a Wii U so I can get Mario and Zelda, etc, which I love and won't ever be on Windows. Anything else I'll get for the desktop. Better graphics, save editing to cut grinding on a few single players, modding for added value, there's just so much more appeal to the PC, particularly with the big picture and steam streaming becoming an option in the near future.

Now in 5-6 years when a PS4 or X-one are 200-300 I might look at getting one or both if there's really been some spectacular games.
Old November 13, 2013, 05:55 AM
Allstar

The only thigns I'd want in the new consoles is racing, and Drive Club, The Crew, both aren't out till later next year, which really takes them off my radar for at least 12months. Like I said in the other thread, there's no way I'll consider a ps4 until at least 2/3 the cost is covered by my airmiles.
Old November 13, 2013, 06:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
The only thigns I'd want in the new consoles is racing, and Drive Club, The Crew, both aren't out till later next year, which really takes them off my radar for at least 12months. Like I said in the other thread, there's no way I'll consider a ps4 until at least 2/3 the cost is covered by my airmiles.
Same reason I bought a 360 and a PS3, Forza and the GT series. For some reason those are tons of fun on a console and I have yet to find anything that balances the fun(Forza)/simulation(GT) factors from either of those in a PC game.

I dont think I will spring for a X1 or a PS4 anytime soon.
Old November 13, 2013, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
Same reason I bought a 360 and a PS3, Forza and the GT series. For some reason those are tons of fun on a console and I have yet to find anything that balances the fun(Forza)/simulation(GT) factors from either of those in a PC game.

I dont think I will spring for a X1 or a PS4 anytime soon.
There is a ton of choices on the PC that supercedes both Forza and GT in terms of realism and fun.
Old November 13, 2013, 06:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
There is a ton of choices on the PC that supercedes both Forza and GT in terms of realism and fun.
That's your opinion ;)

I tried many of the racing games on PC and always came out "meh". From r-Factor to the Need for Speed(s), Flat Out, Grid and many others. Something always seemed "off" for some weird reason, maybe I should get my head checked?

Yet I have hundreds if not thousands of hours sunk into both Forza and GT series.
Old November 13, 2013, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
That's your opinion ;)

I tried many of the racing games on PC and always came out "meh". From r-Factor to the Need for Speed(s), Flat Out, Grid and many others. Something always seemed "off" for some weird reason, maybe I should get my head checked?

Yet I have hundreds if not thousands of hours sunk into both Forza and GT series.
If you don't have a racing wheel cars games on the PC are just weird.