Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2013, 06:16 AM
Allstar

GRID 2, Guacamelee heading to PS Plus in Europe this month | Joystiq
This is almost as interesting as pc game sales. I might even get a PSN+ subscription now.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am interested in the consoles but really we mostly just use our consoles for streaming from the computer which really I can do a lot cheaper now with either another machine or a jump stick etc..

I do enjoy sports games on consoles but thats about it (I also would play on PC if NHL was still on PC).

Other thing that worries me look how both PS3 and XBOX 360 had issues with their first few gens of their consoles having issues with either red lights orange lights drives not working/reading etc..

So I may wait a bit to see how things go.

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old November 14, 2013, 10:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Honestly I question how simpler it would be to create an emulator for PS4 and Xbox One. I mean the PS3 emulation barely exists because of it's complex Cell architecture (and 7 cores I believe). I just hope that the Blu-Rays they use won't require any special reader.

Last edited by ShinraCorp; November 14, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old November 14, 2013, 01:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
I am interested in the consoles but really we mostly just use our consoles for streaming from the computer which really I can do a lot cheaper now with either another machine or a jump stick etc..

I do enjoy sports games on consoles but thats about it (I also would play on PC if NHL was still on PC).

Other thing that worries me look how both PS3 and XBOX 360 had issues with their first few gens of their consoles having issues with either red lights orange lights drives not working/reading etc..

So I may wait a bit to see how things go.
Well there's already lots of talk of PS4 users having major errors and some hardware failures, so that trend might continue. It's hard to say if this is just a small batch of PS4s so far or if it's going to turn into a problem the size of the 360 RROD. Guess we'll find out over time.
Old November 15, 2013, 08:56 AM
Allstar

PS4 Sizzle Reel Teases What's Coming Next
I don't want to turn this into a circle jerk on the master race, but I see nothing in this video that I haven't already seen on PC, and alot of it on my PC, which is by no means a top shelf system. I'll keep my $300 (if I was in the market) and buy a bunch of games for PC, and maybe a pizza.
Old November 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sony already stated yesterday that their failure rate on early production run PS4 shipments to contest winners and press was 0.4%. That's 4 units DOA out of 1000. Nowhere near the RROD fiasco, at least not yet.

Anyone pick one up at midnight last night?
Old November 15, 2013, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

husband of the girl who works in the office next to me waited in line for 5 hours to get his PS4 from BB last night...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 15, 2013, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I dont know.

That PS4 sizzle reel looked like a lot of cutscenes. I've been fooled by those before.
I've yet to make my decisions if i even want to get a next gen console. I mean, I do have a shield and its console mode will blow away most 'next gen games' anyways. So I guess im just left to wait and see how things work out with the setup i currently have :)

However, the one thing i am impressed with is that the XB1 is a more complete package than the PS4. The Xbox seems to be worth more to me. As a media center with Cable overlay, skype integration and so much more, it just seems like a no brainrr to me. But thats me.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old November 15, 2013, 09:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Sony already stated yesterday that their failure rate on early production run PS4 shipments to contest winners and press was 0.4%. That's 4 units DOA out of 1000. Nowhere near the RROD fiasco, at least not yet.

Anyone pick one up at midnight last night?
Sure, but MS said RROD was an isolated issue at the start. I'm certainly not saying they're nearly equivalent yet, but there's been retail models that have had issues as well. I suspect it'll be more than .4% over the first few weeks, but it could also still be relatively low and turn out to be a non-issue for most. I guess we'll find out over time.

Hopefully it turns out to be a minimum number of systems. It's gotta suck for anyone who just bought a $500 dollar system to have to mail it off for a week or two for repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post

However, the one thing i am impressed with is that the XB1 is a more complete package than the PS4. The Xbox seems to be worth more to me. As a media center with Cable overlay, skype integration and so much more, it just seems like a no brainrr to me. But thats me.
I can see how that appeals to some people, but for me, a console is all about the games. Sure I might use netflix on it, but as media players they perform so much worse than Boxee, Roku, AppleTV, etc, and I've got computers for skype etc. If I get one down the road, it'll be based on exclusives. While I got a 360 long before a PS3 this gen, outside of the original Mass Effect, I think the PS3 did have a stronger exclusive lineup (but I'm not a big Halo, Gears fan, for some people they're system sellers and that's understandable)

I am curious how the new kinect works out, my kinect for 360 never worked worth a piss, but if they could come out with a half decent motion fighting game, that would be a blast.
Old November 15, 2013, 10:48 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The next gen of consoles are nothing but good news to us PC gamers. All games now being developed are using x86 code and Directx or opengl. Sure we've always had better graphical fidelity than consoles but devs never put effort into giving us more geometry detail and assets than consoles. Clutter, NPC's etc...
Take a look at Watchdogs, Titanfall or The Division. We've never had games that looked like those, but we will now.