Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2013, 07:27 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

only reason i am buying the ps4 on opening day is because i get 20% rebate before taxes right of the bat, otherwise i would wait till more games are out.
Old November 13, 2013, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Sony pretty much has strangled itself. The PS4 is not compatible with PS3 games unless they come out with some form of a emulator. We know how well that PS2 emulation worked for the PS3 .. LOL.
Old November 13, 2013, 10:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I think people are more jaded nowadays. It used to be a new console promised all kinds of new gameplay experiences and worlds to discover. Now, I think they're viewed as a revolving door for brown, unimaginative AAA shooters.

It doesn't help that both new consoles have all this 'social media' integration. I already have a phone and computer that deal with that stuff. A console shouldn't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Sony pretty much has strangled itself. The PS4 is not compatible with PS3 games unless they come out with some form of a emulator. We know how well that PS2 emulation worked for the PS3 .. LOL.
Those titles will be provided via Gaikai streaming. That's why I have a feeling a lot of PS4 owners will be keeping their PS3's for a few years. I think Sony has even banked on them doing that, as the PS3/PS4 connectors are interchangeable.
Old November 13, 2013, 03:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Consoles have been for noobs for a decade now.

If you're still playing one it's time to learn to play.
Old November 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is one type of game that really makes me want to get a new console, hockey. I have always loved playing hockey games on the PC, that is until EA went and screwed me and pulled it from PC. Sure there are other games that will end up being console exclusives that I would like to play but I just don't think there will be enough to sway me. That said there are my kids to consider as well.

But yes over all they are disappointing.

Old November 13, 2013, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
I tried many of the racing games on PC and always came out "meh". From r-Factor to the Need for Speed(s), Flat Out, Grid and many others.
Assetto Corsa | Your racing simulation. The most realistic PC racing simulation

I am not seeing GTR2, GT Legends, and Live for Speed in your list. :P
But look into Assetto Corsa. Should you like the looks of AC, it is 22% off during beta and that gets you the final release as well.
Old November 13, 2013, 08:24 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

To the OP I agree. This is the first gen of consoles I'm not going to get since the NES. Nothing really interests me. Only game that peaks my interest is Destiny.

Old November 13, 2013, 09:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I always find the first year is pretty sparse on good games for a next gen most of the time anyway. Wii U is certainly guilty of it, but when I think back of the 360s release line up. Ouch. Nothing remotely appealing. PS3 may have had MGSIV within the first year, but I can't remember the rest. GOW, Killzone, and most of their other franchises don't dazzle me.

Honestly, N64 and maybe PSX were the last systems where the first six months of games included ones I thought looked awesome (and some still hold up decently enough). For this gen, not so much, and certainly not anything that isn't going to PC or won't at some point most likely. Dead Rising 3 might be good, but it has a decent chance at going PC per Capcom's history. PS4 may have a JRPG or two that looks half decent, but the glory days of great JRPGs like squaresoft used to make have almost gone entirely. Ryse or Titanfall might be good, but not enough to warrant me buying a system.
Old November 13, 2013, 09:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

word of the week: Obsolescence ... just that consoles don't have the same pace as appleware.
Old November 14, 2013, 06:12 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
There is one type of game that really makes me want to get a new console, hockey. I have always loved playing hockey games on the PC, that is until EA went and screwed me and pulled it from PC. Sure there are other games that will end up being console exclusives that I would like to play but I just don't think there will be enough to sway me. That said there are my kids to consider as well.

But yes over all they are disappointing.
Same here, but NHL has been so stagnant the last few years. I dont think I will get anymore NHL games.