Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2013, 06:19 AM
MVP

Default EA cancels Command & Conquer

Nooooooooo Damnnnnnnittttt!!!!

Electronic Arts cancels Command & Conquer | Stuff.co.nz

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play," a rep for developer Victory Games wrote in a blog post published this afternoon.

"That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game."

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old October 30, 2013, 07:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sonova bitch! Who the hell gave that feedback? The alpha version was EXACTLY the game PC gamers were looking for. Dynamic unit creation, the ability to an excellent hotkey system, a fully rotatable camera, fog of war that followed lines of sight....the list goes on.

A couple of us alpha players were just discussing this in an IRC chat last night; EA was FINALLY making a PC game worthy of its name....which likely meant some idiot would step in and say "a real PC game!? this isn't gonna work, we need to make it console-centric!". Looks like that's exactly what's going to happen under the cover of "....feedback from the alpha trial is clear...".
Old October 30, 2013, 07:11 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

To follow up, the game was awesome but the proposed methods of distribution were horrible. The pay-to-play campaign mission structure was a ridiculous concept after the SimCity debacle but that shouldn't have caused the cancellation of the game.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! God dammit. That was the only game i was looking forward to.. :(
Old October 30, 2013, 08:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think their strategy on what the game was to be online would have worked. I never liked the concept, nor did I like some of the game interface.

That being said they did have a solid idea (many points that SKYMTL touched on) but ultimately not what would have worked, micro-transactions work on some platforms (WoT, LOL, etc etc) but on this one it would have failed.

Still, I hope they don't lose all hope and keep the franchise alive.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 30, 2013, 09:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I - LOVE - stragegic games and even I'm (because of HW limits) forced to play older versions of them (mo way my HW move aroud WOT, for example), they are very good. I think, that this decision is a dumb one and they will regret it. But it is not all together surprising, because the "casual player" paradigm dictate that the games are mostly dumbing down. I cannot say it better that this fella:
The Elder Scrolls : The Dumbing Down - YouTube
...and don't be fooled, this is not a issue related to the Elder Scrolls series. This is a symptomatic for whole PC gaming industry now.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am so pissed I am beyond using my caps lock key. Why? Who? What the %&(*?
Old October 30, 2013, 09:56 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Mother Fuc#^%@^%$#&#$&^%$&%&^%. Sigh. Now i will only have the original Generals to play. I hope they get their act together and revamp it to a higher standard. And for me personally, none of this Pay to Win/Play crap.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenor View Post
Mother Fuc#^%@^%$#&#$&^%$&%&^%. Sigh. Now i will only have the original Generals to play. I hope they get their act together and revamp it to a higher standard. And for me personally, none of this Pay to Win/Play crap.
Pay to play is okay if done right.
Wargamming itself has a good setup for that to be honest. The Tanks you can buy tend to be weaker (per related tier level) than the ones you can earn. The advantages to them are lower cost to operate and a much higher credit earning metric.
That is how you do it successfully.

But that is probably why this wouldn't work (At least the system they created for it).
Some games are very successful with Micro-Transactions, but I don't Think C&C would have been if allowed to develop. They need (not just EA but the PC industry) to still develop based on a sole game that we may or may not play online. Sadly I think this era has already ended...

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 30, 2013, 12:09 PM
MVP

I began boycotting Origin in protest of how EA operates last year. I would like to see EA fail and its IP auctioned off. I will support its ways no longer.