Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2013, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Honestly not disappointed in the least. Free to play and the derivatives NEED TO DIE IN A FLAMING HELL. If a game is worth playing I have absolutely no problem paying 60 or so dollars for it. That being said I will not touch anything with F2P in the description.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm not disappointed that it was cancelled merely for the way they were distributing it, and not having tried the Alpha I can't comment on the gameplay, so as much as I was looking forward to playing it, I don't feel like it was a huge loss just yet.
Old October 30, 2013, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Honestly not disappointed in the least. Free to play and the derivatives NEED TO DIE IN A FLAMING HELL. If a game is worth playing I have absolutely no problem paying 60 or so dollars for it. That being said I will not touch anything with F2P in the description.
I don't think you have given F2P a fair chance, LoL, DotA 2, Planetside 2 are 3 examples of F2P done well.

I honestly don't even have a problem with Pay to Win. Who am I to say that someone who works hard outside of the game to pay to be better shouldn't be better. Some people have lots of time to grind and others don't. Why not give the guys who don't have a lot of time the chance to be competitive.
Old October 30, 2013, 05:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Typical E.A. The moment they made it F2P I already had a bad feeling they might not continue development which it did happen. This is still extremely disappointing CnC is one of my favourite series and it's still is. Got Damn I broke the left click of my Old Logitech mouse playing that game.
Old October 30, 2013, 06:51 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I don't think you have given F2P a fair chance, LoL, DotA 2, Planetside 2 are 3 examples of F2P done well.

I honestly don't even have a problem with Pay to Win. Who am I to say that someone who works hard outside of the game to pay to be better shouldn't be better. Some people have lots of time to grind and others don't. Why not give the guys who don't have a lot of time the chance to be competitive.
I spent nearly 2 years playing CnC: Tiberium Alliances. Another F2P franchise, by EA and marginally in the same 'universe.' As a paid player I can unequivocally say that the non-paying players have no chance in h*ll of ever progressing quickly no matter how much more they play. I haven't played Generals 2 myself (I refused to because it was F2P and I wasn't about to spend another 2 years another similar game). Oh and for the record, in Tiberium Alliances i've spent about $500 in those 2 years. NOT WORTH IT.

I agree, F2P has its place, but not in the way EA has it currently implemented in their titles.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
I spent nearly 2 years playing CnC: Tiberium Alliances. Another F2P franchise, by EA and marginally in the same 'universe.' As a paid player I can unequivocally say that the non-paying players have no chance in h*ll of ever progressing quickly no matter how much more they play. I haven't played Generals 2 myself (I refused to because it was F2P and I wasn't about to spend another 2 years another similar game). Oh and for the record, in Tiberium Alliances i've spent about $500 in those 2 years. NOT WORTH IT.

I agree, F2P has its place, but not in the way EA has it currently implemented in their titles.
Oh yeah obviously if it is impossible to progress as a F2P player there is a problem but to say that you would never touch a F2P game is a little harsh.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:02 PM
MVP

It is very unlikely I'll play a game designed to give an advantage to those who pay more. It's bad enough we have to deal with that in real life.

IMO, free to play is usually a misnomer. It's actually crippleware most of the time.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:53 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
It is very unlikely I'll play a game designed to give an advantage to those who pay more. It's bad enough we have to deal with that in real life.

IMO, free to play is usually a misnomer. It's actually crippleware most of the time.
lol crippleware..

That is exactly how I felt about the last 2 "games" (games if you can call them that) I bought.

Rome Total War 2... (Rome 1--- I spent 5 yrs playing), 10 hours spent playing Rome 2. But hey!!! There will be some DLC's released for it. They have added some good things....but they have removed way more things that use to immerse me into the idea I was the Roman Empire bent on domination of the map and battlefield. There is still hope for RTW2..I hope!

Company of Heroes 2 (again the first one I played for 4-5 yrs..evening upon evening). It is a struggle to play 2 nights a week. Auto-match is so wonderful...no map selection, no victory options (only 500 VP), team stacking (I have no steam friends). You can chat after the game is over...mind you it fells like talking in a dark room (hoping someone is there that will respond).

I swear (it has to be the case), games are now designed to give us the least amount of fun they possibly can to the player and still getting us (the players/customer) to buy it.

Those ads and game play tailors sure look good....

We buy it play it, with the play fun lasting 10..maybe 20...30...or 40 hrs of play. Then they (the game makers) want us to get bored..move along and make another purchase.

I use to literally play a game for yrs! Now I struggle to enjoy current releases for 4 to 8 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
A couple of us alpha players were just discussing this in an IRC chat last night; EA was FINALLY making a PC game worthy of its name....which likely meant some idiot would step in and say "a real PC game!? this isn't gonna work, we need to make it console-centric!". Looks like that's exactly what's going to happen under the cover of "....feedback from the alpha trial is clear...".
Isn't it ironic!!!

I will guess....
Someone most likely at EA someone said something along the lines of this -----

Shit we can't have a game like this....the players are enjoying it too much! They will be playing it for years!....pull the plug!

I've been playing PC games since before the internet. I have been playing online/internet multiplayer gaming/games since 1993.

Ever since these F2P and the AAA games you can "buy" ---- that also release DLC content (crap if you ask me) have come out. I seriously struggle to find one game I have enjoyed playing. So far these games feel like crippleware with the promise it will be better if you make these DLC purchases companies offer.

This is truly sad if this model becomes imbedded...

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!

Last edited by LionRed; October 31, 2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:05 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sorry, I REFUSE to pay money for DLC. This whole "Day 1 Edition" and "Collectors Edition" crap is a true joke and publishers are laughing all the way to the bank.