Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2013, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Steam Controller - New announcement is up. At least we get a picture of it this time. Looks interesting. Trackspads might work well for PC games
Old September 27, 2013, 12:49 PM
MVP

The controller looks horrible for gaming. But regardless of my tastes, adding an oddball controller to an already uphill battle is a mistake.
Old September 27, 2013, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

I honestly think controllers in general suck for gaming so I dont think this will do any better but we'll see.
Old September 27, 2013, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
The controller looks horrible for gaming. But regardless of my tastes, adding an oddball controller to an already uphill battle is a mistake.
Well im sure if people want they can make the PS4 controller work with steam OS
Old September 27, 2013, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Why? The trackpads seems like they'd be way more precise than joysticks and with haptic feedback it might actually feel very nice to use. The touchscreen concept seems cool if used properly. The only thing that worries me is the location of the buttons around the touchscreen, they seem like a pain in the ass to get to. Also, price. Seems like it might be pricey but hopefully it comes in somewhere around $60. Besides, you'll still be able to use a 360 controller obviously. I know HCF members hate change though so I'm surprised I haven't seen more people slamming the controller yet
Old September 27, 2013, 03:43 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Why? The trackpads seems like they'd be way more precise than joysticks and with haptic feedback it might actually feel very nice to use. The touchscreen concept seems cool if used properly. The only thing that worries me is the location of the buttons around the touchscreen, they seem like a pain in the ass to get to. Also, price. Seems like it might be pricey but hopefully it comes in somewhere around $60. Besides, you'll still be able to use a 360 controller obviously. I know HCF members hate change though so I'm surprised I haven't seen more people slamming the controller yet
The mistake, IMO, is optics. As a lesser-known brand branching out to a larger audience, first impressions are very important. A strange controller that offers fringe benefits presents an unfamiliar image may be easily dismissed.

It is my opinion that it will not offer a good experience while emulating the functions of the gamepads almost all games will be designed for.

While I see benefits in more precise cursor control, it does not appear ergonomic. I do not believe it's practical to play a PC RTS controlling a touchpad with thumbs for very long. I think gameplay would need to be tuned to this controller to offer a good experience.
Old September 27, 2013, 05:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

seriously.......
Attached Images

Old September 27, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting. Touchpad surfaces could be a total flop, but we'll have to wait and see how they perform and how they'll be implemented. The button placement looks absolutely ridiculous though.

On the topic of controllers, I think Microsoft took the cake again this gen. I really wish Sony would stop being stubborn and at least release a separate model with offset joysticks. Hopefully adapters are released again like for the PS3 that allowed for use with a 360 controller, because I'll be damned if I buy a One.
Old September 28, 2013, 05:32 AM
Rookie

It's possible that the xbox one controller will work on steamboxs. So you'll have plenty of choices. This controller looks very interesting. The use of haptic feedback to make it feel as though their are buttons on the trackpads is very cool. Will definitely be interesting.
Old September 28, 2013, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't see xbox one controllers working on the Steambox, those drivers are intergrated into Windows and I don't see that changing.