Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2013, 02:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

For anyone who wants a summary of SteamOS: SteamOS streams from computer to a big screen using Linux | Joystiq
Old September 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wait, so its basically like shield but for your TV? That's pretty cool, I thought it was just an OS with steam incorporated in to it.
Old September 23, 2013, 02:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Seeing as I was building a living room gamer anyways and I've used Ubuntu for my previous HTPC, this will save me buying another copy of windows.

Assuming I can get the rest of my hardware together before 2014, anyways.
Old September 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This has some potential but I don't understand why so many people are excited for something you can already do i.e. playing on your t.v. with your computer.

Sure it would be great to have a low power pc to stream my games without needing to hook my pc to the t.v. but I don't think most pc gamers would want to play their games on a t.v. instead of a monitor at a desk. Far easier to use a keyboard and mouse at a desk.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's good for kids, if I had kids and they wanted to play PC games, theres no way in hell I'd let them use my personal computer, a cheap $200 computer that can stream all my PC games to my TV for the children to play? That's perfect.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

See I don't really have any trouble with running Steam as a program on my PC, its one store amongst many. Basically I don't like the idea of having to reboot my PC anytime I want to stop working and play, or visa versa. My perspective is completely PC though and this is a TV aimed OS. Theres also the fact that we don't know what this will look like on a PC, if its just big picture mode it will be a pain all around anywhere but the living room.

What does have me interested is this quote

"In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we're now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level," Valve writes. "Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases."

So I'll keep following.

I've also not ruled HL3 out for the final announcement, if the second one is SteamBox it would make sense to have a launch title or 2.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
This has some potential but I don't understand why so many people are excited for something you can already do i.e. playing on your t.v. with your computer.

Sure it would be great to have a low power pc to stream my games without needing to hook my pc to the t.v. but I don't think most pc gamers would want to play their games on a t.v. instead of a monitor at a desk. Far easier to use a keyboard and mouse at a desk.
Yes, but at least 75% of games come with controller support now. Add that to how easy their "Big Picture" mode is to navigate with a controller, and it makes computer gaming a living room hobby instead of being stuck in the basement.

I'm building a living room gamer because I want to play games on a 55" TV with my kids. And I'm sure it will see some Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 action after they go to bed as well. But Starcraft 2 and MMO's will only be played on my main pc with a keyboard.

Considering I can build a decent HTPC/1080p gamer for around $600 and use my existing Steam library, paying $400-500 for a console just doesn't make sense to me.
Old September 23, 2013, 05:23 PM
MVP

I think Valve recognized that a lot of the resurgence of PC gaming may have resulted from an extended console cycle. I believe Steam OS is a strategic product with two primary goals:

- further decouple PC gaming and Windows
- mitigate market loss from nextgen consoles

While the new consoles are $400-500, Steam is trying to entice those who game both on the PC and consoles to instead build an htpc for playing or streaming games.

I imagine publisher support will be weak, at least for a while, therefore steaming may be the primary feature.
Old September 23, 2013, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I prefer most third-person games with a gamepad anyways. So much so, in fact, that I'll get the 360 version before the PC version when possible. Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell, etc. I'll always go for 360 version. It's also way more comfortable to sprawl out on a couch vs sitting at a desk, regardless how comfy the chair is.
Old September 23, 2013, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

People are forgetting one thing.. Its LINUX.

95% of your games are NOT going to work until developers start making the switch to OpenGL. SteamOS will not allow DirectX titles to work.

And so what .. You can stream a game.. Why not just setup a Windows machine to do just that? I don't know I don't see this catching on as well as they may think it will just as the Shield and Chromecast.

Good idea.. Just not ready for primetime.