Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd still gladly accept Episode 3 on the HL2 engine.
Old September 22, 2013, 02:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, provided it was not anything so short, like the HL2 Lost Coast technical demo, that was just one skirmish in the old church on the coast - then yea. Why not.

...but I did not exactly like the Stream way at all. The internet could go offline = I cannot play? WTF! The steam server go away = I cannot play? WTF! The game is too old and stream drop the support = I cannot play? WTF!

So I like HL2, yet I cannot buy a game that require additional "things" to run that what come with it directly. I just did not like this model at all, because then the fact, that you run the game or not depends on things beyond your control. And I strongly believe that this is not acceptable at all.
Old September 22, 2013, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well there are always no cd cracks....

Also if Valve were to go bankrupt I am sure someone would buy Steam. I highly doubt Steam will get shut down. Same thing with Google search.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 23, 2013, 05:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

As interested as I am to see Source 2.0 I would definitely still take HL3 on the old source engine, graphics are only so much after all.

As for steam needing Internet. It does have an offline mode, it is annoying and I really really wish Valve would work on it one of these days, it is there and does work. I've used it quite a bit on my laptop. I originally disliked Steam but its become so convienient to have access to my library of games everywhere and not have to worry about disks EVER that I am happy to put up with it these days and infact WANT to put up with it.

As for Valve going out of business. That will never happen, they have fortresses made of money to keep their money safe. They could never put out a game and still be raking it in. Steam is a money making machine and unless the world ends that wont change.
Old September 23, 2013, 06:51 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

It won't be HL3, as much as I wish it would be. Nothing that they hinted at shows that it even a game. it just looks to be more Steam integration and possibly the SteamBox. I think Valve is is working on HL3 but they probably won't announce it till Christmas or next E3. Just my 2 cents....all it's worth. :)
Old September 23, 2013, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

steam box has to be one of them. Maybe its 3 versions of the steam box?
Old September 23, 2013, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well the first announcement is steam OS. Not really excited about that till we know more. I like some of the stuff they talked about like sharing games.

I am guessing the next is Steam Box judging by the icon. No clue about the 3rd announcement.

I highly doubt we will see half life 3 or source 2. Seems like it will all be about the living room.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 23, 2013, 10:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

So, their own Linux distro. Next up is probably hardware.
Old September 23, 2013, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
So, their own Linux distro. Next up is probably hardware.
Dammit SugarJ, beat me too it :)

Yeah hardware next, then Steam games launched in Linux i'm guessing.

This is an interesting move for Valve. They are very slowly moving into the living room. So many people use Steam and have friends on Steam that I guess they think they can assumingly put out hardware with SteamOS on it. I wonder how something like this will compete/work with other living room boxes like the Playstations and Xboxes. Including the cheap Android boxes that are coming out, it's going to be interesting to see how this all fits in.

Well Valve, you wanted our attention, you have mine.

P.S. Just thought of something. If this all comes out at as we think it is, I can see Valve showcasing HL3 as the premiere game that they release with SteamBox.

Last edited by Ravenor; September 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old September 23, 2013, 11:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I really like the sound of a SteamOS that is capable of streaming from my main PC to a low power device, my HTPC and letting me play my games in my home theatre. I also like the idea of using it as the main OS on my HTPC, I am currently running Openelec XBMC and its great but one OS capable of game streaming and media playback would be superb.