Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2013, 11:56 AM
Allstar

Default Steam Library sharing

it's finally coming, and I didn't realize it was that hot an item. Valve sure knows how to make something happen when they want to.

Quote:
Once a device is authorized, the lender's library of Steam games becomes available for others on the machine to access, download, and play. Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.
News - Steam Announces Family Sharing
Old September 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's funny how this was technically Microsoft's idea and launched with the XBOX One, but the entire gaming community refused to accept it and MS had to remove it. But now that Gabe is doing it, everyone is probably cheering for him.
Old September 11, 2013, 04:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It's funny how this was technically Microsoft's idea and launched with the XBOX One, but the entire gaming community refused to accept it and MS had to remove it. But now that Gabe is doing it, everyone is probably cheering for him.
Xbox gamers weren't opposed to this feature. They were opposed to losing the right to buy and sell used games, a compromise PC gamers accepted years ago. The used market is what makes gaming affordable to many console gamers.
Old September 11, 2013, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is awesome, I have a bunch of games on my steam that I don't play that I'm sure other people would enjoy.
Old September 11, 2013, 07:03 PM
Allstar

I'm still waiting on clarification if when a game is being shared, does it lock out the original account from playing any other game.
Old September 11, 2013, 07:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
I'm still waiting on clarification if when a game is being shared, does it lock out the original account from playing any other game.
The answer to that is in the text you previously quoted:

Quote:
Once a device is authorized, the lender's library of Steam games becomes available for others on the machine to access, download, and play. Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.
Others can only play games from a shared library while it is unused by the owner. If the owner plays any game in the library, the borrower must either purchase the borrowed game or stop playing within a few minutes.
Old September 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

what i'm waiting for is the ability to be signed in to multiple devices simultaneously, even if I can only be in-game on one device at a time. it's just cumbersome having to walk across the room to close steam on my desktop so that i can launch a game on my htpc and not have to dig out the wireless keyboard while i have a controller in hand just to type in my password.....i mean....it's 2013, lets get a move on
Old September 12, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it is close to what I want be not quite there yet. I want to be able to actually have a proper family account or at least share mine out. Basically this sounds like everything I want except the ability to play at the same time. I don't mean the same game at the same time but at least let us play on a different device as long as it is a different game.

A perfect example would be something like Pants vs Zombies. I don't play it often but my daughter really likes it. If this was done properly then she could play it and I could still play any other game except it. So like I said close but not quite there yet.

Old September 12, 2013, 05:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well it is close to what I want be not quite there yet. I want to be able to actually have a proper family account or at least share mine out. Basically this sounds like everything I want except the ability to play at the same time. I don't mean the same game at the same time but at least let us play on a different device as long as it is a different game.

A perfect example would be something like Pants vs Zombies. I don't play it often but my daughter really likes it. If this was done properly then she could play it and I could still play any other game except it. So like I said close but not quite there yet.
Can't you set up her PC so that plants and zombies is set to run in offline mode? I haven't played with that, but I was under the impression that offline mode allowed you to play (non always online DRM) games without having to log into your steam account.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Can't you set up her PC so that plants and zombies is set to run in offline mode? I haven't played with that, but I was under the impression that offline mode allowed you to play (non always online DRM) games without having to log into your steam account.
Yea, I can and have, but it is kind of a bitch. I really like the idea of the kids having their own accounts then I could share games instead of buying for a second time.