Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
Rookie

I've been running SLI for 3 years now with GTX580s. The combined power of two GPUs has been great... when it's worked. However, SLI fails to work on more and more launch titles these days. While I think it's mostly the fault of developers, I find less and less reason to rely on Nvidia's SLI technology in the future.

The sad fact is that for multi-monitor setups, you need multi-gpus. Since multi-monitor setups simply aren't being supported well, there's also less and less reason to continue investing into those as well.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Patch 7 that they say should improve and address a majority of performance issues will be coming by the end of the week, it's supposed to be a huge patch.... so that will bring the game to 1.7
I'm assuming it should fix the obvious, these obvious issues would be the lack of Aliasing, and Anisotropic Filtering and the SLI, easily the biggest performance problem with the game is the bottleneck issue with CPU trying to do most of the workload as opposed the graphics card which blows extra hard because the game is so badly coded to utilize multi core CPU's, which is a kick in the nuts because the developers of the game bragged hard about working hand in hand with Intel to make sure they extract maximum CPU performance out of the new i series CPU's
Old November 13, 2013, 04:59 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, the biggest issue remains the AI. Completely broken.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:04 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Actually, the biggest issue remains the AI. Completely broken.
I literally finished Rome with more factions then the vanilla shipped with, and might pick it up when it hits $29.99 and the AI been vaguely fixed. Empire was infuriating with lines randomly crossing while under gunfire instead of just advancing for months.

The general push from Mods to DLC is killing the series, it has been a while since I spent any time with any of the series without a DarthMod in use.
Old November 13, 2013, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This is annoying... I really like running crossfire I guess I should sell them off and get a single GPU.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 13, 2013, 06:17 PM
Rookie

yea SKY you're right but the AI can be tweaked and adjusted via mods, there's absolutely nothing that can be done about the bad performance

I literally built my PC for this game, not really a gamer so I've had a laptop last few years, but I went out spent a lot of money just for this game because I'm a huge history nerd.... and to have it play the way it does is a kick in the nuts for me personally...
Old November 13, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm not trying to be mean but, you spent a ton of money to play a game you didn't know was going to be good? Well written and no performance issues? That doesn't make sense to me.
Old November 14, 2013, 06:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I'm not trying to be mean but, you spent a ton of money to play a game you didn't know was going to be good? Well written and no performance issues? That doesn't make sense to me.
I upgraded for Empire TW knowing there would be issues. There really is no series of games that does battle that well once modded. There has been a huge community to remove cheese (like the Roman ninjas) and replace with historical factions and units. Hopefully there will be a RTR for Rome II.
Old November 14, 2013, 09:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sorry, but the best TW game to date is the original Rome and the Alexander expansion. Unit cohesion, relatively good AI and the epic scope were on point.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:13 AM
Rookie

Well first off.... 7 is in Beta as of today, aaaaand it's a dud.....
the development team themselves referred to the patch as "massive" and literally 2 generic lines of performance improvements, still no proper CPU optimization, no proper Single GPU optimization (lets not even mention SLI) still no proper AA or AF.... but there are a lot of AI fixes, although I will never start a campaign to test them out........I mean....... ughhh....

and IRQ I built my PC for this game expecting it to be great, and better performance than Shogun 2 (which runs great and looks beautiful) I mean wouldn't one assume the next iteration of anything will always be better.... unfortunately in this case only they know what they did to mess up the game so badly...
people are suspecting it's because they tried to optimize it for lower end machines so more people can play it, you know things like laptops with integrated graphics, and the other thing is the Steam OS thing, they sayin they focused a lot on that as well....you know, so... people can play it in a controller, lol, so people can play a complicated strategy game like Rome... ON A CONTROLLER... but more sales right, it's always about reaching a bigger audience

whatever the case, this is the same as me taking in my perfectly fine car into the shop to get my oil changed, paying for it, car comes out runs worse than before, it literally makes no sense whatsoever.. it was only supposed to be a simple oil change, just adding something new without messing with what already works