Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2013, 11:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default WTF? can a computer even do that?

So,i was launching planetside 2,and as soon as it started loading the game, the computer SHUT itself DOWN,but not really actually.

my monitor and all the fans in my case turned OFF BUT as soon as i pressed the start button again,the computer turn on without booting,instant screen,with all the browser pages like i left em... all this was like if i turned off and back on a monitor,but with power that went off in the computer -__-

hope you understand,this is kinda WTF...I never had problems with planetside 2...

If you know anything about that computer state,tell me please
Old August 20, 2013, 02:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have no idea what happened, but it sounds like it went to sleep for some reason. I can't picture it actually being a shutdown due to an issue, because that would have resulted in a full restart. I will let more experienced people go from there.
Old August 20, 2013, 06:19 AM
Allstar

I don't claim to be an expert but I've seen mine do similar things out of the blue. It freaks me out too, I chalk it up to many possibilities (listed in the order of what I believe is their likelihood): the o/s needing a refresh install, a flaky driver/piece of hardware, static electricity near the motherboard, unstable power supply.

I've actually had a stray chunk of house wiring fall into my open PC case and sit on the motherboard. Didn't do any permanent damage but prevented it from booting for a few hours until I found it.
Old August 20, 2013, 07:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah,that's really freaking me out! But i really think it's related to planetside 2 because i had an error message web page from them after it crashed,but it works fine now
Old August 26, 2013, 10:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
my monitor and all the fans in my case turned OFF BUT as soon as i pressed the start button again,the computer turn on without booting,instant screen,with all the browser pages like i left em...
Seems very similar to a computer going to sleep, waking up.
Power goes out when it goes to sleep.
And when it wakes up, everything that was on the screen is still on the screen.

Do you have a sleep button on your keyboard that you may have pressed inadvertently.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sounds alot like what happens when a computer hibernates. it saves all your open programs and windows and you start where you left off.
Old August 26, 2013, 01:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not the same thing really, the computer crashed and the fans turned off immediately,hibernation takes way more time. All this happened in half a second and the screen didn't go black smoothly but instantly,also,i didn't have my hands on the keyboard so i didn't hit a media key. I put my computer on sleep mode every day and i can tell you it was different. Planetside 2 gave me a hardware compatibility error... nvidia beta driver bug??????????
Old August 26, 2013, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Planetside 2 skydive/cloud linked we have control over you
Old August 27, 2013, 06:31 AM
Allstar

Old August 27, 2013, 08:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

lolz