Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Hearthstone beta

How is this? Anyone been playing it? Noticed it recently came out and would love to check it out. Did anyone get one and receive an extra beta key they don't need? Would forever be in your debt. Thanks!

Old August 19, 2013, 03:16 PM
Rookie

Been watching some streams of it on and off and it seems like a casual version of MTG. I think its popularity will stem from the obvious game based on Warcraft, though I find it odd since they do have a physical Warcraft TCG already, not sure if the two mix at all?

From what I've discussed with my friends they're approach to it is a casual card game to put no real commitment into that they can play on and off when bored or killing time. I know a few people in the beta and one of my close buddies just messaged me about 30 min ago to brag about getting into the beta so I'll try and provide some more insight once he has a chance to play it more.
Old August 19, 2013, 05:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll check some streams after work is done tonight. Would still love to try it myself though too.

Old August 19, 2013, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm new to TCG's and was invited into the closed beta. Just got my key minutes ago. ForceStrategyGaming has some pretty good coverage of the game so far. I watched some Husky play but he was terrible and I couldn't even watch it.

I'll keep you posted on my thoughts and opinions but keep in mind this is my first TCG.
Old August 19, 2013, 09:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
I'm new to TCG's and was invited into the closed beta. Just got my key minutes ago. ForceStrategyGaming has some pretty good coverage of the game so far. I watched some Husky play but he was terrible and I couldn't even watch it.

I'll keep you posted on my thoughts and opinions but keep in mind this is my first TCG.
Cool thanks for the info and help also! Need something new to play, and internet is kinda wishy-washy up here.

Lemme know if you get a spare key or something please Pabz

Old August 19, 2013, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This game is addicting as shit. I've been playing it non stop since I installed it. I spent $20 on cards already and it's way past my bedtime. Going to be a tired day at work tomorrow.

I'm love playing cards IRL and I love gaming so this is just pure fun for me. I've read it's a dumbed down version of MTG but I really can't say. Regardless I'm having a ton of fun. If I come across another key I will let you know for sure. :)
Old August 20, 2013, 01:06 PM
Rookie

So I sat down with my buddy who got his key yesterday and was chatting with him/watching while he streamed his run through the tutorial and such.

Basically the summary of it is that it really is a more easy going casual atmosphere of a card game. MTG has a relatively higher learning curve (even though its been slowly made easier over the years) but this game is fairly basic. There is no real phase concepts so if you're the type of person who likes to act on impulse and do things as they come to mind this works well. You can attack at any point and cast spells/minions at any stage of your turn without being locked into the "main/combat/post main" concept phases that MTG has. You're only able to do things on your own turn (from what I've seen so far) so the strategy is not quite as complex and just allowed for more casual enjoyment.

My buddy spent a rather large amount of time playing it last night and said the same thing as above, it's quite addictive. The only real negative I see (or at least have read about so far) is that outside of the P2W style for the game it takes forever to actually earn up gold/points to buy packs without spending money. Since the game is purely online and provides no real life physical value (likely there will be something third party later but Blizzard has said in their FAQ that they do not support RL currency exchanges for cards) I find it difficult to really drop any money into it. That being said back when I was heavily into MTG I made a pretty good dollar from the whole BST market and I for whatever reason really enjoyed that end of it cause at least you knew there was a tangible value to what you did.

I'm still waiting on my own beta invite, hoping I get one at least! I'd like to give this game a go as I've always been a fan of the TCGs and being more casually focused I don't feel obligated to play non-stop or provide the commitment to the game that I did with MTG. I feel it'd be a great time sink of a game when you're just looking for something easy, fun and social.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If anyone gets any spare keys let me know my kid has been dying to play this. Thanks in advance and I'm surprised they didn't come up with some way to soak money out of this (like they did with D3 and the %15).

Strange but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets added later.

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old August 21, 2013, 09:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
If anyone gets any spare keys let me know my kid has been dying to play this. Thanks in advance and I'm surprised they didn't come up with some way to soak money out of this (like they did with D3 and the %15).

Strange but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets added later.
Hmm, not sure what they'll be doing about the trade system but they did say they weren't going to be doing RL money transactions for it.

The Hearthstone page on Facebook is running a contest for 500 beta keys right now! Give it a go, might get lucky.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks just did that as well as signed up on blizzard site as well for beta testing hopefully get one from somewhere lol!

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120