Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2013, 07:43 AM
Allstar

Default SplinterCell Blacklist

Any other fans here? I just read the Kotaku review, and it's just as I expected, further reinforcing my feeling of waiting for a sale. They're going to update the review after the game releases, but that won't change my mind. As a hardcore SC fan, I've lost faith in Ubisoft to do a proper PC conversion after Farcry3, and I'm not interested in the $59 tag right now either.
Old August 15, 2013, 09:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have most of the series on Steam now, but just haven't gotten to them yet. I read this one was pretty good on IGN, so if I like the earlier editions I'll give it a shot. $60 is a bit rich for my blood though so it'd be a steam sale if I decide to go for it.
Old August 15, 2013, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I liked the first splintercell haven't played any others I guess Ishuld look into the others as well as this one
Old August 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Splinter Cell 1 and Chaos Theory are still my favourites from the entire series. Chaos Theory more so for the two player hilarity that can happen.

Far Cry 2 was crap. I couldn't get over the weirdo mouse accel so didn't even play for more than 5 minutes.
Even Splinter Cell Double Agent was tough to handle, but I played it because of Sam Fisher.
Old August 15, 2013, 12:25 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Even Splinter Cell Double Agent was tough to handle, but I played it because of Sam Fisher.
Yeah, same here. So many glitches in that game! Each one brought something new to the franchise, even if they each took something away.

What I've come to learn, is how the Top Sellers list in Steam shows how impulsive people are. Blacklist hasn't made the top 10 since it was open for preorder, that tells me something about the PC community toward it. Yet watch the list on Aug 19, it's almost gauranteed to be top 10 or even top 5.

New driver for the game from nvidia
NVIDIA DRIVERS 326.80BETA

Can't believe how they still refer to the 8800GT as a minimum card to run this game. I shouldn't have sold my old one.

Last edited by On2wheels; August 21, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Ubisoft has really put a lot into re-energizing this franchise. So far the game is great, aside from the graphics
Old August 21, 2013, 05:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

As long as gameplay is fine, I don't care :)

I hated the newer ones since it FORCED you to kill people. SC1 was amazing, I think I played about half of the game as a self challenge only firing the pistol to shoot out some lights that was required to get by a section.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:50 AM
Allstar

The author here claims Ubi gave him a prerelease Steam code for the game.
An Easy Fix For Splinter Cell: Blacklist's Game-Halting PC Bug
Kind of ironic when they push their Uplay service so hard with the nvidia deals, and still refusing to sell Steam codes at other digital stores.

Apparently there's a few complaints about the walk/run controls and making Sam walk when not using a 360 controller. That kind of programming really disappoints me. All the more reason I'm waiting on a sale.

They are marketing it like crazy tho, even getting it on Conan Obrien, and Lang & Oleary
Canada's video game industry - Gaming - CBC Player
Old August 23, 2013, 06:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Been trying this for the whole night now. Still haven't beat level 1.

Here are my issues:

1. GTX780 + BlackList = Random crashing. You need the latest beta drivers. Took me 3 hrs to figure out. Thought it was my GPU that's factory OC, but underclocking didn't help. Thought it was my CPU + RAM OC. Reset to stock, no help. Found these drivers, and no crashes so far.
NVIDIA DRIVERS 326.80BETA

2. BlackList + Win8 = No alt-tabbing. I am running the latest patch. It just won't resume the game for me though you can hear that pressing escape will go into the menus and back. You can't even "bring program to front" in Task Manager since it's no longer there.

3. You can't stealth takedown enemies when they are standing inside a doorway. It causes you to close the door instead. Similar problem to picking up a gun vs a body.

4. Yes, WALK AND RUN TOGGLE IS CAPSLOCK. IT'S SO STUPID. The older one used the mouse wheel to scroll between walking speed, and there was a visual indicator of how fast you are going.

5. Does throwing bodies off of a building count as "non-lethal"? :D

6. Indicators of when you can take people down is not very good. The very first zip-line take down I wasn't able to time without just mashing "E". Same with stealth takedowns when you are hanging off of a ledge.

Still a bit more console-ified than I would like. And you still need to shoot/stun/knock out people for certain parts of the game. So far it's been impossible for me to play pure stealth on 'realistic' mode.
Old August 24, 2013, 07:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Have been playing this game for a few hours now, finished about 5 missions,with 2 story missions, story missions are the easiest, side missions can be VERY VERY difficult,

Playing on the hardest difficulty,and some levels are insanely difficult,i tried a map 10 times,the first kobel mission,so yeah, story missions are easier because you can trigger the alarm^^

the gameplay and gadgets are awesome,also the animations,but i wish the game had more checkpoints because it's kinda frustrating sometimes.