Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2013, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Need help finding a new game

Okay so here is this is what I'm looking for,

I am looking for a single player rpg that plays like I am watching a movie in the fantasy genre. I love to read fantasy novels and I love a game that tells a story. I am a big fan of all things Final Fantasy (especially Tactics and VII: Crisis Core for PSP had a story I really got into and loved). I liked Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, Legend of Dragoon, Star Ocean and Fire Emblem too. I just haven't been able to find any somewhat modernized games like these. On the MMO side I loved GW2 but I'm not looking for an MMO because they take up way too much time.

I'm not looking for a game with a million side quests I can spend forever accomplishing. I hate Skyrim because I felt like it wasn't focused, I am a completionist and that game had way too many boring things to do to actually feel like I had completed the game. Thus I stopped playing the game before I felt a sense of completion which left a bad taste in my mouth.

I really just want a PC game to guide me through an epic fantasy adventure. I am the kind of person who reads gamefaqs so I can get to the next part of the story faster. I love turn based game play but it is not a necessity as long as combat is well done.

Can anyone help me out?
Old August 10, 2013, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I hear where you're coming from with Skyrim. I got a little lost in a directionless world there as well. Check out The Witcher 1 and 2, as well as Dragon Age Origins. They're a lot more focused while still having great story.

But if you're willing to step away from fantasy a bit, definitely play through the Mass Effect series. Except for being sci-fi based rather than fantasy, they are EXACTLY what you're looking for.
Old August 10, 2013, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I was already looking at The Witcher 1 and 2, and they are currently at the top of my list. I will add Mass Effect to the list as well and give it a serious look. Thanks
Old August 10, 2013, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, The Mass Effect trilogy had me more invested in it's story than any game I've ever played. And that says a lot, cuz I'm all about story and character development in games.
Old August 10, 2013, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Alright I bought the witcher 1 and 2 I should be good for a few weeks, which should I play first?
Old August 10, 2013, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Alright I bought the witcher 1 and 2 I should be good for a few weeks, which should I play first?
Playing them in order seems logical...?
Old August 10, 2013, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Playing them in order seems logical...?
Well I don't know if the story lines link up, if I play 2 first will it have spoilers for 1?
Old August 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Well I don't know if the story lines link up, if I play 2 first will it have spoilers for 1?
Just from a graphics perspective I'd suggest doing the oldest first otherwise the first might not look/feel worthy of playing once you get to it. Storyline is key, but there's no reason to bias yourself against what is pretty much universally accepted as a great game.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 10, 2013, 01:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Oh My God, Mass Effect series man!!! I certify that you feel like you finished 100% of the games ,good mission system,side quests,very long games,awesomeness.

PS: there is also an alien dating system but i prefer to keep that secret
Old August 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
Oh My God, Mass Effect series man!!! I certify that you feel like you finished 100% of the games ,good mission system,side quests,very long games,awesomeness.

PS: there is also an alien dating system but i prefer to keep that secret
I guess I'm one of the few who could never get into the ME games. Must have started ME1 3 or 4 times but I'd quit after an hour or two each time as I'd get bored.