Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I will be a third one to recommend the mass effect trilogy! Great story line, great characters.

The combat is not fantasy as its more of a shooter - but depending which class of character you choose can alter combat more to your liking.

But the story line is what does it. Also choices you make in the first one can affect outcomes in Mass Effect 2 and somewhat in 3 (you can import your saved characters from the previous version). You can also play as a "good" character (paragon) or "bad" (renegade) or a mix of both.

Look into it. Good series.
Old August 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

JJthomp your preferred games are almost bang on with mine so heres a old old game you may really like .
Vampire: The Masquerade ? Bloodlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lots of fun dark humor and people kept doing 3rd party patches for the longest time.

I have played through this game at least 10 times haha
Old August 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hmm, I didn't think you could still buy Bloodlines. Didn't that come out in'04?

The witcher is GREAT! Though, I haven't started 2 yet I hear it's epic as well. ME series is worth every penny. Do try and get the DLC for ME2 as well. Very good additions.
Old August 10, 2013, 08:26 PM

My System Specs

If you find combat too boring in The Witcher you may consider installing the combat rebalance mod.
Full Combat Rebalance mod for The Witcher - Mod DB

If you can get past its dated mechanics and visuals the storyline is fantastic.

The Witcher 2 is even better. Just finished my third time though (this time w/ the combat rebalance REDKit) and every time I played it though it was almost completely different due to choices you make.
Old August 10, 2013, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the Mass effect series was to me anyway surprising good
Old August 10, 2013, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well just like basically the rest here I would have to put my hat in with Mass Effect and the Witcher series.

The Witcher series is really good and so much more of an "real" feeling game. What I mean by that is that not everything is black and white, you really realize that the world is much more shades of grey. I am getting set to do another play through of 1 and 2 sometime early next year, in anticipation for number 3.

Now Mass Effect, while being disappointed with the last hour in the last game, was and still is one of if not the best modern games I have played. It really is the great story and the way you influence the second and third games with your choices from the previous games (the witcher does this as well). Key though is starting at the first game and playing through all of them. I also recommend the DLC, for all of them, well at least the mission ones. I do hate saying it as I don't like paying for DLC but they do add a lot to the game and story.

While both being quite different, I doubt you will be disappointed with either series and they both come really recommended.

Old August 11, 2013, 08:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

You've gotten some great suggestions so far. ME is probably my favorite series. When you get to ME2, assuming you're on PC, I'd recommend the mods that remove the intro movies and the 'no-loading movies' mods. It will speed up the game by a ton on PC (as otherwise the game is fixed to load at the same speed as the console versions). Dragon Age is spectacular as well.

Witcher 1+2 are great, particularly 2. And the Vampire the Masquerade bloodlines is another good game. Just grab the unofficial patches online as it was still really buggy in it's final 'official' version.

There's only a few other RPGs that remotely suit what you're looking for I can think of. GOG.com has Septerra Core and Anachronox which are JRPG style games made by western developers. I bought them, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.
Resonance of Fate is on Steam and is a Tri-ace game published by Sega. (Tri-Ace is of Valkyrie profile, Star Ocean fame, etc) once again, haven't played it myself yet.

Xenosaga and The Last Story are really solid RPGs for the Wii that emulate really well in the case that you don't have the console yourself.

Finally Deus Ex Human Revolution isn't strictly an RPG (Action-RPG/ FPS-RPG like a lighter version of Fallout 3) but is a really solid story telling experience.
Old August 12, 2013, 06:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Well I don't know if the story lines link up, if I play 2 first will it have spoilers for 1?
You'll want to play Witcher 1 first as it sort of plays like the ME trilogy, some of the stuff you've done in the first game carries over into the second, including well referencing events in the first game.
Old August 12, 2013, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Dragon Age is one of those you either like it or hate it games. Personally I hated it due to the combat mechanics and could never enjoy the game.
Old August 12, 2013, 03:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I know you said you want a PC game, but I HIGHLY recommend the Tales series of JRPGs.
These games are closer in flavor to Final Fantasy than to a western RPG like Skyrim.
You'll see anime type cut scenes and humor etc, but there's GREAT plot, character development and fight systems.

Tales of Xillia was recently released for the PS3.
Tales of Vesperia is on the 360, and Tales of Graces is for the PS3.

There are many more, but they exist on the PS2, Gamecube and SNES.